Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 310

Author Topic: Mount and Blade  (Read 656129 times)

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mount and Blade
« Reply #1035 on: May 01, 2011, 03:06:44 pm »

When I set it higher than medium or whatever I noticed the enemies chamber blocking the hell out of me all the time. Even online chamber blocking is kinda rare I think.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: May 01, 2011, 03:44:47 pm »

Yeah, it doesn't really make the AI smarter, just faster in attacking and blocking. They'll still get stuck in doorways and such.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #1037 on: May 01, 2011, 07:35:52 pm »

Yea, it just makes the AI block more. On the highest they are very bad about chamber blocking you.

As for the behind them thing in sieges, maybe it depends on the situation - I just tried it in the latest version of warband and I was able to cut down 30 or so of them one at a time, I got one or two turning after me but the huge mob on the wall just focused on attacking my huscarls on the ladder, even though only the first couple of them were actually able to swing at them. The "smart" thing to do would have been the 10 or so nearest the ladder keep focusing on that while the 30 or so behind them turn and rush me, but that never happened - at most I had 3 of them turn on me at once, and just by backpedaling and whacking on them I killed them then went right back to hacking the rest in the back. I took more damage while jumping over them (I got the weird thing where you jump and kinda bounce over them and slowly float above the mob off to the side, and got whacked a bit on the way) than I did the entire time fighting them.

It could be that the large amount of huscarls I had trying to get up the ladder (I tested it with a save where I had 100 huscarls, heh) were drawing their attention, but even if that's the case it really should prioritize mobbing the guy slashing their troops down from behind over rubbing against the friendly soldiers in front of them in a futile attempt to reach the ladder and get a swing in at the guys trying to come up.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: May 01, 2011, 07:48:57 pm »

It could be that the large amount of huscarls I had trying to get up the ladder were drawing their attention.

Nope, that's not it. A few times I ended up being the last remaining attacker and the defenders still clustered around the ladder even though I was on the walls behind them and splitting their skulls open one at a time. Another time I pushed through with a bunch of my men and because the outside was completely swarming with crossbowmen I parked my guys inside a tower. A new wave of defenders spawned, and they just marched right through said tower without even trying to take a swing at my guys and parked themselves at the top of the ladder, even though all of us were inside and there was nobody else coming up at the moment. The AI is just dumb like that.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: May 01, 2011, 08:10:09 pm »

wow, i've never had the AI completely fail like that. I guess you must just be lucky. They are often dim, but not downright retarded like that.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: May 01, 2011, 08:11:56 pm »

Actually no, I realised today that they'll do that. I parked all of my archers in the courtyard, and it got down to it just being them left against the enemy (close siege this one). They stood at the top of the ladder and took arrows in the back until I won. Its like the game tells them to hold their ground there at the start of the siege
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Vibhor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: May 01, 2011, 09:34:33 pm »

From my experience the AI was quite good.
It used many different tactics like Placing archers on hills, covering them with soldiers and shit like that.
After losing badly from them I set the AI level to lower than normal.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: May 01, 2011, 10:04:48 pm »

Also: STEAM SALE!

Original M&B for $4!
Warband for $6!
Fire and Sword for $13.50!

And you can get the entire pack for $20!
(Not including tax)

I'm really excited about F&S, mostly because:

A new century of warfare that brings pistols, muskets, grenades, and other advanced weaponry to the battlefield.

Fully customizable armies; players can outfit their soldiers with each piece of weaponry & armor.

More political intrigue with colorful factions. More adventure in a new land.

New Siege options to choose before besieging a town or castle.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 10:06:59 pm by Blaze »

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: May 01, 2011, 10:31:05 pm »

I've been having fun with Warband over the past few days. Are there any must-have mods that are out there? I'm downloading the Floris Extended Mod Pack right now as it seems highly regarded. The mod pack is three times the size of the base game, though.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: May 01, 2011, 10:43:08 pm »

The Native Mod Compilation has many features that should have been in the game. You can combine it with FMP with few issues.

Sword of Damocles and WWII:China Battlefield were ported over from M&B and definitely deserve a look.

Brytenwalda is pretty good too.

FMP has a lot of new scenes, sounds, and images, so it's significantly larger than Native.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 10:52:45 pm by Blaze »

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: May 01, 2011, 10:47:11 pm »

I've been having fun with Warband over the past few days. Are there any must-have mods that are out there? I'm downloading the Floris Extended Mod Pack right now as it seems highly regarded. The mod pack is three times the size of the base game, though.
I love you for telling me about this.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: May 01, 2011, 11:10:19 pm »

I wish someone would port the starwars mod over. :(

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: May 01, 2011, 11:32:08 pm »

Downloading the FXMP now... playing it tomorrow. Torrent's fast enough, just don't have the time to... lose myself in what it looks like M&B should have been.

That being said, glad they added modability to the game. It would've gotten fairly old, fairly quickly otherwise.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

atomicwinter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: May 02, 2011, 12:10:13 am »

I wish someone would port the starwars mod over. :(

Star Wars Conquests? The concept is great, but the gameplay is horrible. The ballistics my god the ballistics are absolutely horrible  :-\.

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: May 02, 2011, 09:01:48 am »

I highly recommend Brytenwalda as well, very big mod, very good.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 310