Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 310

Author Topic: Mount and Blade  (Read 655321 times)

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mount and Blade
« Reply #270 on: March 02, 2010, 10:52:24 pm »

Knock an arrow as they drop their shield to hit you. Boom, headshot.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: March 02, 2010, 10:55:50 pm »

Not when your archery skill is so crap that the arrow goes flying over their shoulder when they're at sword-swinging distance.

Point is, never skimp on archery.  It's a fantastic skill in all circumstances.  Except the WWII China mod, where it's completely useless everywhere except in tournaments, because the developer is a lazy sod who won't bother making the gameworld reflect the modifications.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: March 02, 2010, 10:56:53 pm »

Also, they give you crappy practice bows, which I think can only give you up to +4 power draw, as opposed to anything else, which can give you the full power strike bonus. Also, they can barely reach the other side of the arena.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Morsigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: March 03, 2010, 12:20:12 am »

Not when your archery skill is so crap that the arrow goes flying over their shoulder when they're at sword-swinging distance.

Point is, never skimp on archery.  It's a fantastic skill in all circumstances.  Except the WWII China mod, where it's completely useless everywhere except in tournaments, because the developer is a lazy sod who won't bother making the gameworld reflect the modifications.

Archery isn't the end-all-be-all skill, IMO, but then again I don't have a character that specializes in it. I mean if you can head-shot every time, sure, but even then that's not a guaranteed kill.

Once you learn where your arrows will fly at a particular skill level, you can make up for the fact that your character is a horrible shot. But yeah. I would say archery is the dump stat, where you put your extra points.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: March 03, 2010, 03:22:28 am »

I hate it when the arena battles give me a bow.  I am bad at bow.

BUT.  I HAVE won 1v1s against a sword/shieldman on foot, and even a horseman whose loadout I do not recall.  I felt damned awesome doing so.

As was said, you can can still get a guy with a shield in close combat if you shoot in the gap between where he lowers his shield and when he swings his weapon.  I'm pretty sure you can nail 'em in the head or legs while they're approaching if you're a good shot or get lucky, too, but it's hard.

I don't remember the horseman fight very well, but IIRC it was also foggy, so it was sorta Phantom Ganon style where I was spinning around trying to spot him and get a shot off before he rode me down.  I missed a lot, though, due to sucking at aiming, and a lot of the fight was dodging to the sides or trying to get run over instead of cut down.  I probably could have backed up against a wall so he'd run into it and let me get a better shot, but I don't explicitly recall doing this.

I am also bad at couching and hitting on horseback, because I cannot the distance between my target and my horse.  ...I'm just bad in general, I guess.

I haven't used a lance in a long time, actually, I think.  I remember in earlier versions they'd do like 200-400 damage.  Fun times.

On an completely digressive note, my favorite horse is the heavy steppe horse.  Besides the fact that I usually never get to the point where I can outfit myself with higher up horses due to money or, more likely, riding skill, they also have the best maneuverability, IIRC, which is great.  Heavy makes 'em less prone to getting cut out from under me, which is great.

Never really got to courser/warhorse tier, and I'm pretty sure I've only gotten plate armor through gold cheats, and at my best just use stuff looted off sea raiders or somethin'.  I rarely buy anything, too - a lot of the time just food and occasionally horses.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 03:32:25 am by Farce »

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: March 03, 2010, 03:51:55 am »

The arena battles for me aren't bad because I actually put points into athletics. I can run away from the champions with a bow.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: March 03, 2010, 11:50:14 am »

The arena battles for me aren't bad because I actually put points into athletics. I can run away from the champions with a bow.

Thats more then 4 or 5 Athletics?

Well, its worse with crossbow, but at least you get a sword with it.  Which I end up defaulting to in most cases except vs other xbow/bow user at range.  Crossbow is pretty durn accurate at low levels.  Especially when both you and the enemy arn't moving around...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: March 03, 2010, 12:03:17 pm »

So I recently gave my crossbowman hero in my all-mounted army, who apparently has been punching people all this time, a crossbow usable from horseback. :D
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: March 03, 2010, 01:14:18 pm »

Has anyone actually tried to lamp someone while riding around on horse back?

It's damn hard, does vey little damage, but is so satisfying.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: March 03, 2010, 01:16:34 pm »

Has anyone actually tried to lamp someone while riding around on horse back?

It's damn hard, does vey little damage, but is so satisfying.
Is that like swinging a lantern around trying to smack people with it?

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: March 03, 2010, 01:18:40 pm »

It means 'punch the bugger in the noggin'.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: March 03, 2010, 01:19:48 pm »

I think I did it once. ._.

It's hard to reach them.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: March 03, 2010, 03:00:39 pm »

Nope,You need pretty specific positioning to hit an infantryman from horseback  :P...I've had a fistfight with two people on horseback though.
Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
— Commander Fleyitch

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: March 03, 2010, 03:43:25 pm »

It's fun to get 40 Swadian Knights and call "BLUNT WEAPONS EVERBUBBLY" and watch your knights run around punching people.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: March 03, 2010, 05:45:58 pm »

It's fun to get 40 Swadian Knights and call "BLUNT WEAPONS EVERBUBBLY" and watch your knights run around punching people.

I am DOING THIS
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 310