Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 310

Author Topic: Mount and Blade  (Read 655320 times)

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
Re: Mount and Blade
« Reply #300 on: March 07, 2010, 09:30:52 am »

Ah, must be that "speed of the slowest unit" part I'm having trouble with. I tend to fill out my army with any prisoners I can find, regardless of stats.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: March 07, 2010, 11:02:58 am »

Get a companion and train him to path finding 10.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: March 07, 2010, 01:59:22 pm »

If you're being chased down by a party you don't want to fight, release those slow prisoners or toss those extra items.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: March 07, 2010, 03:00:05 pm »

Fill your army with Kergit Veteran Horsemen and Swadian Knights (or just go pure Kergit, lancers are lighter armored but their speed makes up for it). If you use an optimal hero build with 7 heroes (the most you can have without any dislikes) and have each one level training, you can train an entire army to top tier in about a week - faster if you have access to the Nordic lands since sea raiders are a)plentiful, b)easy to catch, and c) easy to take down with a mounted army.

My army of mostly kergit soldiers, with a few horsemen from other factions and mercs, moves at 7.2 on the world map and can easily take down enemy lords or even siege lightly defended castles without too much trouble. The only really dangerous things are war parties or kings, anything more than 2/3 to 1 is a bit too lopsided for me, even with good tactics.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: March 07, 2010, 03:08:04 pm »

My army of 40 archers and myself can usually manage 6 to 1 odds if I play things right.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: March 07, 2010, 03:09:14 pm »

Khergit vet archers get coursers. Incredibly fast.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: March 07, 2010, 03:38:43 pm »

I've been trying to make an army of crossbowmen, not going well at all, though I can usually take pretty bad odds as long as the other side isn't mounted.(my fief managed to get surrounded on all sides by 3 khergit castles... yay) I think I'm finally starting to get a better idea of how to build an army though.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Morsigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: March 07, 2010, 03:42:07 pm »

Deshavi is a great choice for path-finding if you're going to be a "good" guy. Borcha is the "evil" tracker.  I don't think inventory has anything to do with speed, since I go just as fast with 3 of every food, about 12 squares of gear (siege gear, khergit combat, regular combat) and the rest filled with weapons and armor (plunder, not gear) as I do with none of the loot and almost none of the food.

I hate Khergit veteran horse archers, and I don't just mean fighting against then, but using them in my army. They are nigh worthless, in my opinion. Sure, they might kill some guys riding around and shooting their arrows, but they take -forever-. Battles in which I am fighting alongside or against Khergit veteran horse archers take about twice as long to complete because they're running around like chickens with their heads cut off, plinking away at heavily armored troops with those weak ass bows.

I use lancers, however, because they try to stay within a distance they can use their spears in. The horse archers just draw a bunch of mounted units after them to the other end of the field and do a handful of damage to one or two of them.

If you use an optimal hero build with 7 heroes (the most you can have without any dislikes)

I disagree with this, or at least I'd like you to define "optimal". For instance, Ymira and Matheld don't get along, and while they both are "apalled at my choice of companions", they stick around. Only once has Ymira threatened to leave (I had to persuade her back) and that was after I took a -severe- morale hit. I was negative some obscene number, if I recall. Otherwise, I've never had a problem.

Matheld, Bunduk, Nizar, Artimenner, Ymira, Deshavi, Katrin, and Marnid all get along fine, with the notable exception of Ymira and Matheld who, if you side with each of them one time in their arguments, will remain with your party.

I do agree about the trainer skill, though. Most of my heroes have one point in it, though Bunduk has like 5 or 6 points. That skill is absolutely necessary if you are planning on keeping control of more than a few fiefs, especially large towns.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 03:47:58 pm by Morsigil »

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: March 07, 2010, 03:58:41 pm »

Matheld, Bunduk, Nizar, Artimenner, Ymira, Deshavi, Katrin, and Marnid all get along fine

Really?  Seems like Artimenner got on everyone's nerves to me, especially the Doctor, Jeremus or whatever his name is.  I finally had to choose which of them to keep or leave, and I got rid of Artimenner since the Doctor is more universally useful.  I know he's supposed to get disgusted and leave if you fight large battles or something, but I've never heard him complain.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: March 07, 2010, 04:13:22 pm »

It is, I believe, this formula:

[ (Speed of each unit/number of units) + (speed of slowest unit) ] / 2 - (modifiers of additional slowness based on party size)

Athletics, if on foot and Riding, if on horse is a factor in speed too.  Unless thats what you mean.  I've never found equipment to weigh me down.  Trade goods do though....
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: March 07, 2010, 04:18:23 pm »

Ya, trade goods, not basic equipment, slow you down. Not sure about food, but I know that if I stock up on furs to go sell, my speed drops like a rock.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: March 07, 2010, 05:55:45 pm »

This game is really fun for me.

Got it from newegg for ten bucks.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Labs

• Bay Watcher
  • This aggresion will not stand, man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: March 07, 2010, 05:57:48 pm »

Right, not to derail or anything but when is Warband going to be released?
I like to slip into bear caves around midnight and gently caress the carnivore inside before leaving a small cut of fresh fish and sneaking out.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: March 07, 2010, 07:14:48 pm »

Right, not to derail or anything but when is Warband going to be released?
End of March I believe...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: March 09, 2010, 12:34:30 am »

Deshavi is a great choice for path-finding if you're going to be a "good" guy. Borcha is the "evil" tracker.  I don't think inventory has anything to do with speed, since I go just as fast with 3 of every food, about 12 squares of gear (siege gear, khergit combat, regular combat) and the rest filled with weapons and armor (plunder, not gear) as I do with none of the loot and almost none of the food.

I hate Khergit veteran horse archers, and I don't just mean fighting against then, but using them in my army. They are nigh worthless, in my opinion. Sure, they might kill some guys riding around and shooting their arrows, but they take -forever-. Battles in which I am fighting alongside or against Khergit veteran horse archers take about twice as long to complete because they're running around like chickens with their heads cut off, plinking away at heavily armored troops with those weak ass bows.

I use lancers, however, because they try to stay within a distance they can use their spears in. The horse archers just draw a bunch of mounted units after them to the other end of the field and do a handful of damage to one or two of them.

To each his own. I find they're effective against infantry, and unlike the lancers don't do suicide charges against massed spearmen. With a good mix, they're a good support unit. As with all archers, you probably wouldn't want to compose your entire army out of them.
If you use an optimal hero build with 7 heroes (the most you can have without any dislikes)

I disagree with this, or at least I'd like you to define "optimal". For instance, Ymira and Matheld don't get along, and while they both are "apalled at my choice of companions", they stick around. Only once has Ymira threatened to leave (I had to persuade her back) and that was after I took a -severe- morale hit. I was negative some obscene number, if I recall. Otherwise, I've never had a problem.

Matheld, Bunduk, Nizar, Artimenner, Ymira, Deshavi, Katrin, and Marnid all get along fine, with the notable exception of Ymira and Matheld who, if you side with each of them one time in their arguments, will remain with your party.

I do agree about the trainer skill, though. Most of my heroes have one point in it, though Bunduk has like 5 or 6 points. That skill is absolutely necessary if you are planning on keeping control of more than a few fiefs, especially large towns.

I defined optimal as being the maximum number of heroes you can have without any conflicts. Ideally, you can keep all 16 in the party at once, you just need to keep them in a state of constant victory (without constant combat), with lots of food and good leadership. There are 4 possible builds listed on strategywiki, and then a 10 hero one with one dislike each.

I recommend dumping all extra skill points in leadership, more than just one if you can afford it. You can raise an entire army in 3 days with 7 trainers, faster if you have access to the nord lands (which seem to be the best place to hunt for bandits, sea raiders are plentiful and slow, just don't try it with a bunch of raw infantry as they're fairly well armed).
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 310