Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Your favorite Dwarf.  (Read 1382 times)

Urist McOverlord

• Bay Watcher
  • [Evil_Genius]
    • View Profile
Your favorite Dwarf.
« on: January 31, 2010, 08:25:19 pm »

We all hear stories of the likes of Cacame, or Cap'n Ironblood, or other great dwarven heroes. But sometimes, a truly legendary dwarf comes from the middle of an otherwise ordinary fort. So there exists this thread.

Basically, the most awesome dwarf in your fortress.

Here's mine: Dobar Townbooks, Captain of the Guard.
In addition to being a legendary wrestler, and near-legendary macedwarf (using my only weapon, a bismuth bronze mace), she also has six children, one of whom is a champion in the regular army. She worships Atrid Avalthebil, who often takes the form of a female dwarf, and is associated with Fertility. Honestly, I'm starting to think that she worships herself...
Magma: The cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.

If it moves, it wants to kill you. It may not try to, but it wants to.

NewoTigra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Your favorite Dwarf.
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 09:32:29 pm »

I forgot to assign a broker before embarking, and when looking at the game-assigned dwarf's personality, I found that he worships 'Bonus', a god of Charity.

Most awesome squad would have to be the 'Greaves of Striking', 3 blacksmiths-turned-legendary-hammerdwarfs.
They all came in the same migrant wave, and are the main defence of my fort. One of them has a mangled lung, and another other has only one ear.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 09:36:23 pm »

I have a few from one fort. I have the unnamed hero, who wields two maces in one hand a shield in the other hand.

The other is Rimtar, who wields dual obsidian short swords, legendary swordsman, nearly legendary wrestler, nearly legendary in all social skills, high armor skill, and has one child who has survived 3 goblin ambushes in Rimtar's arms.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Forumsdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 10:02:54 pm »

My favorite Dwarf was my starting "Leader" character.

He's a legendary gem setter, a legendary bargainer, and beloved by all who know him.  He's also fairly competent in mechanics and knows his way around a smelter.  He's a real Renaissancedwarf.

Except for a couple of lost elections early on he always wins re-election and the people love him.  He's always out and about, making jewelry, lifting people's spirits, and bargaining with the traders.

I've never seen anyone win re-election over and over like he does.  So here's a toast to Sarvesh Logemevud, Renaissancedwarf!
"Let them eat XXtroutXX!" -Troas

Canadark

• Bay Watcher
  • meet me in the mead hall
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 10:17:04 pm »

That must take a lot of gems.
You all do know that we everytime we gen a world in DF, a new universe is created somewhere, and everytime we delete a save we kill a whole world?
Aye, we are Armok, god of blood, evil, villager gutting, fortress building, legend making and elf thongs.

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 10:29:51 pm »

I'd have to say my favorite dwarf was Urist McGimpypants. I've told his story a few times before. It's not a very awe-inspiring story, and he didn't do as much as many other dwarves I've had, but he was my favorite.

A peasant-turned-speardwarf, he was patrolling the very first successful fortress I ever had, when he got ambushed by 2(?) squads of goblins. He was alone, as the rest of his squad and military was drinking/eating/sleeping. He killed 5 gobbos with his spear, then it got stuck in another guy's leg, so he fought off the rest with his bare hands. Keep in mind he was only a skilled speardwarf and a novice wrestler. He killed two more by wrestling, then the rest, being scared off by his awesomeness, ran away. He had a mangled leg, and both arms were broken.

A few years later, he is back on his feet and ready for action. A gobin siege comes, and his squad is the only one that is battle-ready. They held the gate while the champions drank. All of them died. All of them except for Urist McGimpypants. I don't remember his wounds from this battle, but they were about the same as the last one.

He continued in this cycle of being awesome then being broken until my fortress was flooded. He simply refused to die in battle. And for that, my love goes out to him.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2010, 10:42:28 pm »

My current is Devlin Blackguard, General of the Armed Forced of Whisperdeep. He's a 5 - 6 - 1 Sword dwarf, Legendary Miner.

He's a rather shady character, and prefers to command from the back lines, but his sheer ruthlessness has ensured that Whisperdeep's military trains hard, and sleeps very lightly. Though not physically tough, General Blackguard has time and again shown that speed, strength and timing are more than enough.

His name was so earned when fatally wounded his 2nd Lieutenant in a sparring match and left him to bleed to death right there in the barracks. He denies that his preference for an Obsidian Sword had anything to do with it, and insists the problem stemmed from Lieutenant Frosteye's lack of "frontier character."

Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Sudius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 01:34:00 am »

I dare anyone to have a dwarf with these stats:
(Note: I did not 'feed' this guy ANY kills.  This is 100% legit, guarding my fortress for over 20 years.)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, his lover is my hammerdwarf. 

Is this awesome? Y/N

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010, 01:41:40 am »

(Note: I did not 'feed' this guy ANY kills.  This is 100% legit, guarding my fortress for over 20 years.)

Is this awesome? Y/N

Very nice!
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

n00bs4uce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2010, 05:20:52 am »

Is this awesome? Y/N

I remebered I had a pair of dorfs like that in my first fort. They always sparred with each other and they both had like a total of 55 points each. I didn't "feed" them either though they were all I ever needed for sieges. As far as favorite, I'd say either one of my 2 current miners, so many cave-ins survived.
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

YOU MUST ADD THE ABOVE QUOTE INTO YOUR SIGNATURE, RIGHT NOW.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2010, 05:32:35 am »

...and another other has only one ear.
Name him Vincent.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2010, 05:56:06 am »

Once upon a time, me and a few of my bro's decided that DF was awesome enough for us to team up for a succession fort. So we went to a chalk-layered area, much magnetite was found along the magma pipe, which later on was integrated into the fortress itself. Much fun was had by all.

Then, at some point, along came the only Hunter our fort ever saw. Out of a whim, I named him Adrian.

The area wasn't dangerous, so the only risk came from the random goblin ambushes and so on. Excluding sieges, it seemed Adrian had a knack for attracting goblins to attack him. Which he then repelled in quick succession. Apparently all his hunting had made him a pretty good shot by the time the goblins began to appear in larger numbers.

Anyway. The fort lived on, grew bigger, then eventually the Queen arrived due to adamantine, and then, it went stagnant. The fortress guard was awesome, military all were skilled and able to wipe out entire sieges by themselves.

So we piled everyone in the rainbow tower(a building project by a guy, who just used whatever stone was the closest at the moment of designation) and collapsed it.

There was a single survivor.
Adrian.

He never did anything amazing, didn't destroy an entire siege of 40+ goblins because the champs were somewhere goofing off, didn't insta-gib a megabeast that decided to attack. No, Adrian just did his job, and was awesome at it.

And he had the best name ever. He's about the only dwarf I remember from the forts I've had.

Rankaisen

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2010, 06:40:33 am »

Don't remember the name of the guy but my favourite dwarf was one of my original miners who was superdwarvenly tough and he survived 4 cave ins and dozen of serious wounds and always recovered pretty fast.

Oh he broke his leg! No worries give him a week and he was all good mining happily and killing ratmen.
Oddly enough he was always happy too, despite the constant injuries he suffered.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2010, 07:12:06 am »

Erush Pageroars, Sheriff and Mayor of Craftarm. He's friend with practically everyone, double legendary (engraving and record keeping) and moves at the absolute speed of light. He's perfectly agile, but I haven't been bothered to check in Companion just how fast he is.

I just started hammerdwarf training for him. He's sparring with a hammerdwarf and two speardwarves. Every sparring match ends with him kicking them to the ground and then Erush pummeling them till they give in and run off. Once I saw that hammerdwarf hide behind his pet mule. The mule left, and Erush stared the hammerdwarf down for a good few minutes.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2010, 09:27:57 am »

Titanslayer was my favorite.  A titan attacked my fort and this raw recruit shot the Titan in the heart.  While his veteran buddies werent' able to do much more than bruise his 3rd finger of his right hand, he shot true and killed the beast.  Then one day an elite bow goblin shot and killed Titanslayer while Titanslayer was up 3 z-levels and behind a fortification. 

Then there was my second Titanslayer in a different fort.  I captured a Titan and stuck him in an arena with my sworddwarves.  All except 1 were champions.  The non-champion cut the Titans head off shortly after the fight began.  Then I noticed that the reason my new Titanslayer wasn't a champion was because he had a brown brain injury.  I can just picture this slightly retarded dwarf with a sword cutting off the titan's head. 
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.
Pages: [1] 2