Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Biggest mistake you ever made  (Read 3318 times)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: Biggest mistake you ever made
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2010, 05:08:56 pm »

Just out of interest, can you upload the save?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

GrafZeppelin

• Bay Watcher
  • The Saddest Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2010, 05:13:06 pm »

If you use Tweak, try to use the ForEachTile, which allows mass tile changes instead of tile by tile.

Dragula

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2010, 05:17:26 pm »

Tried:

Condition: true

Operations: set_liquid_type_to_water;
set_water_level 1;

But it gives me:
Reading of the map data resulted in an exception.

Exception type:
Overflow exception

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2010, 05:51:44 pm »

Well, you can try to designate the temperature of tiles as below freezing, too, and form an ice wall. You'll need to set it back afterward, or dwarves could freeze to death there. I think...

Dragula

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2010, 05:57:15 pm »

Nothing seems to work with tweak, so it seems it does not like my version.

yuriatayde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2010, 06:07:27 pm »

What happened to having "fun"? Two weeks isn't that long really, you might have to just accept the loss and rebuild elsewhere. If it was me, I'd just try to seal off the area (if you had time to build a screw pump, you had time to build walls or doors in choice locations) and plan recovery later.

My biggest mistake ever involves a HUGE entrance area designed to trap invaders, and I was just finishing it by digging out the upper Z level so my archers could shoot down. I figured channeling every tile was annoying, so I just cleared the extra floor via a cave-in why not! And for extra fun, I waited for a caravan full of goods I wanted before doing so. (this was my EVIL fortress =D)

There wasn't nearly enough smoke from the cave-in, this confused me at first. Then I noticed that there was catastrophic damage to my tunnels 6 z-levels down! Amazingly, nobody died except for the caravan. It took me hours to repair all of the floor tiles, and killed any hopes of me making regular cave-ins to destroy future caravans... or any hopes of detailing every tile of the doom-room. (could have been worse; there was lava in the area! The cave-in narrowly missed it.)

GrafZeppelin

• Bay Watcher
  • The Saddest Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2010, 06:08:46 pm »

Tweak doesn't work with 40d16, if that's the version you're using

Dragula

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2010, 06:13:36 pm »

What happened to having "fun"? Two weeks isn't that long really, you might have to just accept the loss and rebuild elsewhere. If it was me, I'd just try to seal off the area (if you had time to build a screw pump, you had time to build walls or doors in choice locations) and plan recovery later.
I am having fun trying to figure out how to solve this, but if it's impossible I'd like to keep this fortress, even if it means cheating. And I have time to build the pump, but exactly when it's finished the carpenters workshop gets flooded. So it's really just enough time. And walls are out of the questions, it's to small and it floods to fast. I need at least 8 walls to have it sealed and it gets flooded before that.

Yeah I'm using that version, which would explain why it's not working. Hmm what to do now.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2010, 06:30:35 pm »

- Setting up an aqueduct to transfer water to my fort.
All well and good, but it involved a waterfall. And I forgot to door off some of the escape tunnels.
The flow overtopped the waterfall's bounding walls, and gushed out the escape holes and flooded the area to 2-3/7 water.
That was... Inconvinient. And embarassing.

But then a dragon attacked. A fair chunk of my military was set alight, and killed because they were untrained. I hadn't figured out that 'f' cancelled the designation, rather than assigning it to nobody in particular, so no barracks.
Then goblins ambushed, wiping out the military and a few popular dwarves. The harvests rotted in the fields, the doors were taken by the enemy, and I gave up in disgust. Later, I loaded up and abandoned.

- Trying to drown the elven caravan.
I was using a positive-pressure system rather than pumps. Through my only access corridor.
It didn't work fast enough, so I enlarged it. While it was in use. I dug a hole, the whole thing kept flooding, and the drainage room was filling up, so I shut the door and let the lot flood.
I ended up having to set up an emergency trade depot that was in use for two years while I set up a huge wind-powered pump system to drain the drowning pathway enough to install more floodgates.
In the meantime, the dwarf caravan got stuck on a wall built as the wagon went up a ramp, and went mad. Once I figured the problem out, they got out.
Then there was a huge blighted patch on the ground where I forcibly flooded it with the pump outlets.
Finally, I tried to get more pressure by directly hacking into the brook, instead of using an underground canal and pumping it up. And I routed every murky pool on the damn map into the artificial river. It filled up alright, but EVERY BIT OF GODDAMN WATER ON THE MAP was moving. My FPS died to unplayability.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Dragula

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2010, 06:31:58 pm »

I think I saved it, with Dwarf Companion, some teleporting in time and some god damn floodgates.

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2010, 06:58:49 pm »

If we're sharing stories, I'd say two big mistakes, digging into an Aquifer (that I knew was there, but didn't realize was at the spot thought there was more stone.

Or building a Fortress into a mountain in scorching, with no river or otherwise normal water source on the map, besides ponds... before rain re-filled ponds.   I think I managed to scrape by for a few years making Alcohol (without water O.o) before I abandoned.

bluea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2010, 09:48:01 pm »

I'm thinking a save might be quite useful.

From what you've described, I think the fort is savable. You have 30+ dwarves. That's neither too few nor so many they'll all be in the way. But saving the fort depends on knowing precisely what's up.

If you're willing to use the out-of-game cheats, then river-to-fortification-edge is pretty tame by comparison. You'll still have a heck of a lot of water inside your fort, but at least the new water stops coming.

MacaqueAttack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2010, 10:55:09 pm »

Digging upward into an underground river. I think that should be a basic rule of thumb that shows up as soon as you start DF. :)  DO NOT DIG UPWARDS INTO THE UNKNOWN.

If you've already saved you're out of luck unless you had autosave enabled and had it set to make a new save every season and/or year.

I learned that, by digging into a warm stone, and then trying to dig up, assuming i was on the top floor of the magma pipe(it was the same level as the "ground floor", where grass and trees grow). Turns out I was right below it, and there was an area of magma right where I told my miners to dig. The entire fortress flooded.

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2010, 11:06:36 pm »

I lost one guy to a Giant beetle.
So I sent the rest to attack.

This then happened:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=48671.0
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

HFS

• Bay Watcher
  • Sealed Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2010, 02:47:42 am »

I remember I had a magma flood device.

It was quick, efficient, self-cleaning and self-reloading.

It was the entrance to my fort (which was on the top level).

I forgot to pull a lever (that seals off the trap from the rest of the fortress). It overflowed.

Took about 10 seconds to flood the lever room.

Needless to say, everybody died. Except three dwarves, who just happened to be in the safety bunker I made for just an occasion.

I managed to drain the magma.

Then one of the dwarves went fey, and asked for shells.

I had no shells. He went beserk. The other two died.
Pages: 1 [2] 3