Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Biggest mistake you ever made  (Read 3258 times)

Dragula

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Biggest mistake you ever made
« on: January 30, 2010, 03:04:03 pm »

So I have spent around 2 irl weeks on this fortress, then all of a sudden I misclick and dig through a channel, and floods everything.

Any utility that can revert my misclick? Or perhaps hacking the save?

Karik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Biggest mistake you ever made
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 03:07:19 pm »

You could save scum:  Ctrl+alt+delete and exit out that way...that is if you didn't sucumb or exit a legit way

Dragula

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 03:10:57 pm »

Yeah I saved the legit way...

Any new ideas?

random51

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 03:11:59 pm »

Digging upward into an underground river. I think that should be a basic rule of thumb that shows up as soon as you start DF. :)  DO NOT DIG UPWARDS INTO THE UNKNOWN.

If you've already saved you're out of luck unless you had autosave enabled and had it set to make a new save every season and/or year.

Dragula

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 03:13:20 pm »

Yeah I did not dig upward, I dug through my own channel, that I have made throughout the fortress. I was going to smooth stone..

Raminagrobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 03:20:34 pm »

Pump the water out, or alternatively drain it into a chasm, or outside the map. I don't see where is the problem there.

Dragula

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2010, 03:26:06 pm »

Put all my workshops to produce a pump right now, though I don't know how much time they have, if it fails I will ctrl alt del my way out of it, reload and try a new approach.

What about http://dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/User:Rick/Tweak/Tile_Edit ?

Thought it does not seem to correspond with my version of Dwarf Fortress.

Pump try 1: Filled out to fast, did not have time to construct the pump, everybody is dead.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 03:32:00 pm by Dragula »

Raminagrobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2010, 03:34:27 pm »

Put all my workshops to produce a pump right now, though I don't know how much time they have, if it fails I will ctrl alt del my way out of it, reload and try a new approach.

What about http://dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/User:Rick/Tweak/Tile_Edit ?

Thought it does not seem to correspond with my version of Dwarf Fortress.

Woudn't it be funnier to do it the right way? The feeling of satisfaction you get from draining manually a whole  mountainhome has no price.

Dragula

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2010, 03:39:43 pm »

Pumping manually, still flooding to fast, I might be screwed.

Raminagrobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2010, 03:40:55 pm »

Collapse the ceiling above your leak.

Gamerofthegame

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2010, 03:54:17 pm »

I was digging out a magma tunnel for a vent that was pretty far away - I still had my initial seven, so I was quite careful. Even did it two storied, just to be sure the miner wouldn't get killed. He made it out just fine and I, quite knowingly, put up a wall on the top most story to make sure it didn't flood over.

... However. It still did. I do not remember exactly why, though at the time I had figured it out. I believe it was because I put the wall ONLY over the magma channel or something to that degree. Regardless, magma spewed up.

I didn't notice for a while - The vent was pretty damn far away, too, so it took quite some time to get here.

But, soon enough I saw that ever so familiar wall of red going toward the staircase down to the rest of the fortress, as the magma channel was pretty high up. Swearing was had and I abandoned my fortress, as my dwarves were now trapped off from the surface. I could have, sure, mined back up or something and abandoned the area, though I didn't want to go through all the rigmarole.

Dragula

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2010, 04:00:18 pm »

For further notice, this is coming from a river, so it's kind of hard to stop it.

bluea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2010, 04:06:11 pm »

1) Where is the water coming from?
2) How many living miners and masons do you have?

There's a simple way to drain underground areas - carve fortifications into the edge of the map.

If the water source is something like a river, you want to divert that to have any hope of pumping anything out without an army of pumps and pumpers.

Code: [Select]
River/Brook/Underground River Entrance Area
XXXXX
ERRRR
ERRRR ->
ERRRR
XXXXX
Down one level
XXXXX
XX1SX
XX1SX
XX1SX
XXXDX
Down two levels
XXXXX
F..SX
F..SX
F..SX
XXXXX
Where:
X = Wall
F = Fortification
S = Up/Down Staircase
.  = dug out area
E = Water enters map
R = Riverbed
D = Door protecting the miner's entry tunnel

The tiles marked "1" are to be left alone until the rest looks done. When you're all set, dig -ramps- up where the 1s are. Water will come streaming out, but the miners shouldn't be in any particular danger.

When the river (or whatever) runs dry, draining the fortress should be easier. You can 'fix' the river by adding hatches in either the riverbed or the level below that. It is a little tricky doing it after there's water pouring through, but it can be done.

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2010, 04:08:36 pm »

Not remembering to check if I'd mined out an area before pulling the deconstruction lever, and punching a hole right through my (very crowded) dining room, all the way to the bottom. The magma forges were somewhere below that, and further down still, the housing complex.

In short: One lever killed a bunch of partying dwarves (including my miners), destroyed two artifacts, then freed magma into the rest of the fort, which destroyed four more artifacts, killed around forty dwarves without access to picks. I think it also dismantled my control room, so the siege that came immediately after mopped up any survivors, who were either on fire, tantruming, or tantruming while on fire.The food stockpile also caught fire, and magma sealed off my cistern. This was back before I fully understood the interface, so no movies, and I deleted the fortress with an earlier version.

I still make this mistake, but much less horrifyingly since I now sandwich workshops and magma under solid layers of earth. Only a few casualties from the punches, which I now use on very large scales to reduce the amount of channeling (Or ramp removal) work I have to do.

For your problem, pumps hooked into waterwheels could reduce the flow enough that you could build over the spot (just keep removing the suspend order and a mason will eventually finish). If you don't have time for that,if you have an area (for exploratory mining, say) near the area, you can seal it up and then channel the water into THAT before the place where you're leaking, reducing the amount of water that's directly threatening your fort and forcing it to take a longer path to threaten you. You can deal with it later.

If you can place hatch covers over the breach, it will stop water from passing. 
And if you don't mind being a little cheesy, you can put fortifications into the edge of the map near the inflow point and divert as much water as you can, buying you time.

Dragula

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2010, 04:21:20 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This is where the flow starts, you can see on the map.

EDIT: More pics on their way.
Pages: [1] 2 3