Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18

Author Topic: Age of Restoration II Discussion Thread - It's possibly near-death.  (Read 22725 times)

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've been wanting to start an Age of Restoration based game for a while now. Prior games are here:
Age of Restoration I
Brave New World

And this is the game thread.

The stated rules for this should be very close to the stated rules for AoR 1. I'll post them in the game thread itself, but in short, it's similar to Civilization. All civilizations start with one city, and a few more may be eventually built with research. The tech level is set before copper working. It's not strictly realistic, so magic, gods with limited powers, and non-human races may exist.

AoR I eventually died out due to lack of interest. In an attempt to prevent this, each civilization will have two players. There will be six cities, for a total of 12 players. I'll be trying for 72-hour turns, and each player will be encouraged to give the orders for their civilization if their partner is taking too long to respond. Teams should discuss amongst themselves just what they want each to be in charge of normally. Keep in mind that well roleplayed turns will be given a bonus to die roles, while non-RPers will be penalized.

Backstory: The first age of the world was the Age of Glory. It lasted nearly a millennium, during which great works were created. Some say that the Old Empires had the magical abilities to create entire new worlds. Others say that they had the tools to build new, superior, creatures. But good things cannot last forever.
The Age of Ash followed. The causes were unknown, but what is known is that terrible cataclysms wracked the lands for generations. The Old Empires fell; people survived in small groups. Nearly all knowledge was lost.
The Age of Restoration followed. For a time, peace reigned. Although broken by the occasional border dispute, the people generally saw it as a happy time. Abruptly, conflict broke out, reasons unknown. For centuries, the Neo-Tyrgani/Zrlv coalition fought with the Zefie alliance. It escalated as old technologies were rediscovered. Finally, the goblins of Zrlv discovered something deep underground. Exactly what it was is uncertain. What is known, is that it brought about the second downfall.
The age of Sorrow. Much was lost to magical maelstroms and natural disasters. People fled their cities, and the governments fell. For three hundred years, terror reigned. Then, things began to calm down.
Thus begins the Second Age of Restoration. People have once again begun to conglomerate in cities. They are ready to rekindle the flames of civilization. Will you lead them to victory?

Sign-ups are now open. Claim a spot with “In.” The first players will be given priority with what sort of civilization they want, although they are encouraged to join with another player rather then create two nearly identical civilizations. It should be more fun if all the civilizations are different. If you think you might be going inactive, please say so to delay replacement.

I will only take 12 players. There may be openings in the future if a player is dropped, but I'll be taking spectators who are actively watching, and don't want to get hopes up until then.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 07:37:06 pm by Nirur Torir »

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
Re: Age of Restoration II Discussion Thread - Signups Open
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 03:27:46 pm »

I'll in if you'll have me. I just need to decide what kind of civilization I want to use.

Civilization name: Usata Kingdom; Color: LimeGreen
City name: Gusha

Race: The Vidal are frog-like humanoids once known for their sound- and growth-based magics. They are slightly smaller than a human but somewhat bulkier, and appear even smaller due to their hunched posture. They most commonly have greenish to turquoise skin. Vidal mostly subsist on insects, birds, and fish, but can eat plants if necessary.

Theme: Loud arcane frogmen

Description: The vidal of the Usata Kingdom live in a relatively simple society for the time being, with the king, Usata II, being one of the few positions of power. The old Vidal had little regard for their spawn and tadpoles, giving rise to the technique of spawncasting, using the spawn for magic. As this greatly contributed to the downfall of the Vidal, this technique is now outlawed, and greater care is taken of the spawn. The chief religion is dedicated to the mythical first Queen Yadoggka, who is said to have ruled during the Age of Glory, a master negotiator, warrior, and general. Smaller religions worship various water spirits that are said to dwell in the swamp around Gusha.

History: According to legends, the Vidal were once a diplomatic people, working as diplomats, heralds, and quietkeepers in large gatherings, but their decline supposedly began long before the Age of Ash, as the Vidal came to overrely on the spawncasting that has since been taboo. Small groups survived in swamps forbidding to most other races, oblivious to the first Age of Restoration until it was too late. The cataclysms wrought in the Age of Sorrow forced the Vidal to abandon the dying swamps, and wandering from wetland to wetland, usually finding barely enough food to continue onwards. As the Age of Sorrow drew to a close, the largest of these groups found a large swamp teeming with life, both harmless and dangerous, and settled the village of Gusha, with the former chieftain Voshol pronouncing himself king. Thanks to the bountiful resources found at first, and the coincidentally arriving smaller groups of Vidal, Gusha soon grew, and prospered... until it was discovered that Voshol was a spawncaster. While he, and presumably some of his ancestors, had used his powers for the good of the Vidal, he was quickly deposed of by Usata, his brother, who then took the throne. Under Usata and his successor, the Vidal had access to far fewer resources than before, but they lacked better options for settlement, so Gusha stagnated, but remained the sole city of the Vidal.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 06:01:38 am by Knight Otu »
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 04:57:14 pm »

Civilization Name: Empire of Basilius
City name: Harisha
Race: Minotaur (DragonLance style: about 7-8 ft, humanoid, with hooves and horns)
Theme: Militaristic

Description: The Minotaurs of Basilius live in the hills and plains where farming, fishing, and hunting is good. They will not hesitate to fight any other civilization they has wronged them in anyway, but will do so only if they can spare the militaristic power to stand a chance. They are looking to rebuild their once great Empire and restore it to it's rightful place as the strongest civilization in the known world. The Emperor has complete power of the politics and military, and his orders are unquestionable.
The Emperor is determined by a great tournament held every 5 years. The fights are to the death, any minotaur may join, and the winner is crowned as the Emperor for the next half decade. The current Emperor, Dogz De-Droka, has won the tounament 6 times and has led his people fairly and wisely for 3 decades.

History: The minotaurs were once a great race, but during a civil war, the Empire collapsed, and cities were burned to the ground. As each side fought on, a group broke off and started forming their own colonies, trying to reform the decimated Empire and restore their divided peoples. This new group set up a tournament to find the next Emperor of their group, and the minotaur Dogz De-Droka won. Under his leadership, these new minotaurs thrived. Before the time of the civil war, they owned great amounts of land and were worshippers of Sargas. As the war ensued, religion lost it's influence and was all but wiped from their culture excluding a few still arduent worshippers of their god.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 08:34:16 pm by Beanchubbs »
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 05:11:46 pm »

IN.
I am going to read the rules than post more.

Civilization name: Theocracy of He'ldian
City name: Cova
Race: aquatic humanoid (look like orange skinned humans with webbed feet and hands and small scales, no nose, bulbous head.)
Theme: Sea faring traders.

Description/History : The He'ldian descended from fish and grew as a race alongside the other races on the surface, although they long ago lost most of the ability to breath water they still have a great love of water where ever it is found. Although perhaps not as hardy as most of the other races they have always had a way with words so in the Age of Glory  they flourished. When the Age of Desiccation (Ash) came many of them died, the  He'ldian in the swamps found that after so long depending on technological medicines they had little natural defenses and plagues swept over them. In the oceans and rivers they knew not how to get food so many starved. For the most part they lived as hunter gathers fishing and collecting water plants, they live for a long time like this and the Age of Glory became a legend. Slowly a new political force came about a church promising salvation built a city and are calling for all the faithful to come, times have been tough for the He'ldian. But now they are banding together under the banner of the water God Shish'k to retake their glory and bring about a new age of glory!

Sorry about the Description/History thing it sorta got mixed together.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 12:39:50 am by Criptfeind »

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 05:46:54 pm »

In.
Just out of curiosity, what DOES Dwarf Fortress smell like?
Death, Booze, and Insanity.
Ladders are absolutely essential for one reason and one reason only:

Welcome, friends to Slaves to Armok III: Snakes and Ladders.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 05:49:10 pm »

IN not my best work. But its what I have been able to create at this time...

Civilization name: The Tahark Hoard

City name: Guta WarCamp

Race: Much akin to the Orcs of Fantasy and Myth, these creatures a war bound and barbaric in nature but on the other side of the coin, they look to profit from war as well as the bloodlust that each share. Their height rivals many others that still walk this world, standing just at 7’ on the average, even the most frail have the strength of the average human. Their Skin is a mixture between a pink and a green but is more moved to a Grey spectrum. Wearing thick leather coats and cloaks no mater the climate.

Theme: Warmongering Profiteers.

Description: Warriors first, Profiteers second. This would be the best way to describe these monsters, their soldiers fight with such bloodlust and battle rage they barely notice any damage that has been dealt to them till after their stop moving, a common sight on the battlefield is to see one decimating foe after foe until he himself falls after the hundredth wound. They Pillage and hoard anything of value moving through the outlaying villages of many kingdoms. They are quick to set up War camps and able to mobilize their men quickly…
They know little though in the way of Farming or other Self-sustaining means to feed and supply for their people. Hunting is one of the few ways they can supply themselves with food but even that proves to be difficult due to their nature, they cannot mine nor process raw metal, nor can they smelt advanced weapons, preferring to raid and ‘trade’ for food and weapons. Though an unarmed Tahark is stronger then most armed men.

History: Nomadic in nature they moved across the country side burning and gathering whatever was not nailed down, they attacked villages and merchants alike. Their weapons were grand in design and use, War leaders guided the men from village to village, moving between them with such speed and damage that even those in positions of power panicked when a War party passed through their boarders. But that is in the past, during the Age of Sorrow the\ pray began to run dry. With less and less villages containing recourses their War parties turned towards the great cities, but were turned back time and time again, after some time most turned towards each other. Inter clan fighting caused nearly half of the Camps to disappear from the world. Crumbling due to both lack of food and ‘entertainment’. Near the End of the Age of Sorrow, on great War Leader pulled Camp after Camp together, his Iron Handed Rule pulled what remained of this once great Hoard out of its own spiral of death…
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 12:57:23 am by Neyvn »
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 07:05:21 pm »

Alright, five people have signed up. For those who haven't written anything up yet, I'm going to give the first six 24 hours for more activity (At least picking somebody else to plan the civilization out with), and then I'll pick another person to make a civilization in their place.

I'd like to point out that civilization was almost completely destroyed before this, only being possible within the last few years. Previous knowledge is basically a legend, passed down through oral tradition.

Beanchubbs, I'd rather have more then one word themes. Does Imperialistic Militarists work for you?

Other then that, the submissions look fine so far. I'll probably make the starting situation for them tomorrow.

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2010, 07:16:27 pm »

Beanchubbs, I'd rather have more then one word themes. Does Imperialistic Militarists work for you?

Yeah that works. I was trying to think of another word, but my brain cramped up and all words escaped me.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2010, 07:17:13 pm »

Oh god, I loved this game. Would I be allowed to use my old civ?

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2010, 07:21:30 pm »

Sure, I'll give you the same bonuses, if you change your history to reflect what happened in the last few centuries.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2010, 08:04:06 pm »

In.

EDIT: I'll join with one of the previous races if this one can't get in.

Civilization name: The Thorellian Republic
City name: Julkata
Race: Kimana (four-legged large mammals that are surprisingly persuasive. Have thick gray skin, three small beady eyes embedded in large head that is in front of the main body.)
Theme: Diplomatic Traders
Description: The Kimana have a monotheistic religion that has triumphed over all others, due to a death of most other religions of the Kimana during the Age of Sorrows. Having a democratic republic, three main houses control the nation. The house of Jorah, the house of Gur, and the house of Marna all answer to the Assabla, a large group of elected citizens. However, the Assabla doesn't hold much power, and the houses bicker between each other to pass anything, due to the 2-1 majority needed to pass a bill.
Kimana society is mainly Matriarchal, the Matriarch making any military or economical decisions. However, the temple, Houses, and the Assabla are dominated by the male sex. As such, the Matriarch is regarded as the leader of the household, but the Patriarch is regarded as the wisest and most cunning.

History:Once holding a principality that controlled the ancient trade routes, their kingdom fell to raiders and other empires.  The Republic was once a tribe of hunter-gatherers who traded sharp stones and berries for other necessities. Not realizing these sharp stones could be used for weapons, the tribe made many friends. These "friends", seeing the opportunity, offered a protection-for-food agreement. Happily accepting, the Kimana did not quite realize that they were being cheated. Once they did, they arranged for some berries delivered to some of their new acquaintances to be poisonous. Enraged, they came after the Kimana, only to be engaged by those who protected them. The aggressors won, but the Kimana had been building up weapon supplies to fight. The battle was brutal, but the Kimana won in the end, and pushed back any attackers. Finally independent, they focused on themselves, building up defenses, but still trading.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 08:15:49 am by inteuniso »
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2010, 08:13:12 pm »

Sorry Inteuniso, but you're number 7. If all of the first six want to make a new civilization, yours will not be used.

Also, there has been at most 10 years where civilization has been possible. Think of how small bands of nomadic hunter-gatherers would have lived for three centuries. Farming was impossible. Hunting was relatively sparse. Fishing was highly dangerous, due to sudden storms.

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2010, 08:18:39 pm »

Name: Baneriant (blue)
Capital Name: Ragt'ich
Race: Mostly Humans, but anyone is accepted
Theme: Chaotic Amoral Opportunists
Bio:
When the Age of Ash first came, most thought it was the end of the world. But to others, it was an opportunity. Bandit ruled over parts that were not completely obliterated or taken by the monsters. Many camps prospered, even if they still lived in fear. However, a wise man saw the advantage in numbers, and founded the first Ragt'ich. That one sank into the swamp. Then he rebuilt it. That one was attacked by demons, burned, and sank into the swamp. Then the third was built, and that is the one which stands today. The Bandit King (His real name has been forgotten) became the inspiration for all of the leaders that followed him.

During the first age of Restoration, the city was ruled by the  newly appointed leader John Horon, who lead Ragt'ich into glory. However, they were assault by the Age of Sorrow, those that did not fled to the winds were crushed into dust. But as the first Bandit King said after the second city was burnt "We thieves are like the shrubs in the hills. You may burn us to the ground, but we always come back". A warrior named Frigth took the bandits from the various corners of the world, and lead them on a crusade across the country. Although Frigth may had been a great warrior, he was a terrible leader, and he was soon killed by his own men. Those left returned to where the legendary city of Ragt'ich was first built, and rebuilt the city.

Government: The Baneriant are, despite their chaotic nature, a Democracy. All resident have a vote on all matters, with the leader (a place holder title at best) having last say. When the leader position is open (natural, vote, or otherwise), everyone is given a chance, and when the final 12-8 are selected, they are thinned out in traditional bandit fashion: Battle Royal. The one left alive becomes the new Bandit King who inherits the entire kingdom.  There is only one law book, created by the first Bandit King himself, with three rules:

You will not kill (unless you have good reason)
You will not steal (unless you plan on giving it back or repaying with an equal or greater object/service)
You Will not violate another without consent, no exception.

Those who break these laws are placed in the Death corp, to be thrown at the enemies of Ragt'ich until either one is broken.

The Baneriant have no set religion, as most of the inhabitants are scum running from their own civilization. this give the city a sort of religious shelter, so long as the rituals do not breaking any of the three rules (sacrificing someone to a god is not a good excuse)

Psychology: The Baneriant, compared to others, are insane. Because of the rather flimsy laws and and even flimsier economics, few actually work when it can be avoided and most of those are hunting. Because there are few civilizations to actually steal from, they had to learn how take food from the land, converting their weapons from killing to cultivating, but are not against raiding others. Much of their population seem to have a place in their heart for bloodshed, so when the call for war goes out, they are the first to get there and the last to leave. The most feared group is the Death Corp., which is composed of death seekers, the insame, and those who broke the few laws that they actually have.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 08:37:52 pm by Luke_Prowler »

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2010, 08:33:30 pm »

However, a wise man saw the advantage in numbers, and founded the first Ragt'ich. That one sank into the swamp. Then he rebuilt it. That one was attacked by demons, burned, and sank into the swamp. Then the third was built, and that is the one which stands today.
Love the reference  ;D

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2010, 06:13:58 am »

I've slightly revised the Vidal history. I'm not sure if it's quite enough that the largest group survived partially on a forbidden and now extinct technique, but it should help. Also, going from Usata to Usata III in the span of a few years was probably a bit much.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18