Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14

Author Topic: I think (american) society punishes sex offenders too harshly.  (Read 20380 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I think (american) society punishes sex offenders too harshly.
« Reply #135 on: January 28, 2010, 09:21:56 pm »

If I we lived
What

You obviously don't understand. Toony is a singular plural.

Grammar jokes I don't understand, and yet still laugh at.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 28, 2010, 09:24:05 pm »

armchair Mother Teresa
Not really. I'm not claiming it's what you SHOULD do, or what I try to do, just that it is what is "moral" to do if you value human life. Personally, I'm a card carying villian, I just get anoyed at hypocrisy.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 28, 2010, 09:32:06 pm »

Well technically Armok is right this time because while there is actually a difference between killing people and letting them die, there is none from the point of view he proposed at first : Whether someone will live or die depends on you. The choice you make, whether it is not killing him or giving him money or becoming a scientist, determines how much you value life. And, Vector, if you want to do anything you can to save lives, I doubt you can say that it is the case of the whole "Life is sacred !" crowd. Plus, if you really believe being happy and discovering mathematical things is the very best way to prevent third-world kids from dying, you're wrong ; but if you can admit your own hard-wired egocentrism to yourself, then his remark wasn't addressed to you anyway.

No.  The first sentence stated explicitly that I value an arbitrary theorem more than an arbitrary human life, when I'm not thinking too hard about the moral and social implications of that.  The rest of the argument was saying that there is a certain amount of indirect good that people do, which is not being taken into account by Armok's argument.

Mostly, my point is that there's a difference between killing someone intentionally and doing so by negligence.  The way he phrased his argument looks a lot like this:

"There's a lot of lonely young men in the world.  If you're a young woman who doesn't spend every minute of every day dating these young men, then you're condemning them to lifetimes of celibacy and loneliness!"

It seemed ridiculous, so I commented on it.  There are other philanthropists in the sea, and I can't hold myself personally responsible for every life I might have saved.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 28, 2010, 09:44:07 pm »

"There's a lot of lonely young men in the world.  If you're a young woman who doesn't spend every minute of every day dating these young men, then you're condemning them to lifetimes of celibacy and loneliness!"

In a thread about rape, this is up there with vagina bombs in terms of awesome.
I hesitate to click the last spoiler tag because I expect there to be Elder Gods in it or something.

Creaca

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm Back.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 28, 2010, 10:56:54 pm »

Never got the Taboo surrounding hypocrisy, I mean, it isn't fair. But really, what is?

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 28, 2010, 11:00:23 pm »

Indeed.  We are all goddamn hypocrites about all sorts of things.  Every time in your life you've gotten mad about someone doing something you've done or would do, you're a hypocrite.

Embrace the hypocrisy, because it really doesn't matter.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 28, 2010, 11:00:54 pm »

Oooh I just had this argument earlier today. I call it the delusion of moral positivity regarding morally neutral acts.

Long story very short, doing anything positive for others is not only extending their life of pain and suffering (indirectly), it is also negating some positivity from your life to put forth effort in creating a morally neutral act for others, making a net worth of negative [neutral and a EDIT:NEGATIVE] or [neutral and slightly below neutral]

As with everything I say, this is not a full blanket statement, and does not cover every event associated with it. The thought is also not complete until someone builds upon it.
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 28, 2010, 11:03:35 pm »

Sure is getting Ayn Randy in here.

What about if the positive act in itself makes you happy?  There are a lot of people that consider giving to others a gainful exercise.
Shoes...

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 28, 2010, 11:04:25 pm »

It makes you feel nice and fuzzy?
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 28, 2010, 11:07:18 pm »

Although a good thing, helping others for the purpose of making you happy would inherently be called helping yourself by feeding off of others.

Not necessarily a bad thing. It does put it in the category of using people for your own benefit.
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 28, 2010, 11:08:53 pm »

Giving to people is a good thing. If it wasent people wouldent want you to do it.

Stop overcomplicating stuff.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 28, 2010, 11:11:52 pm »

For once I agree with cow.

If you are honestly helping people to help people it's good. Searching for some sinister motive is just stupid. Even if it does make you feel good really it's because you know you HELPED.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Creaca

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm Back.
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 28, 2010, 11:15:03 pm »

Although a good thing, helping others for the purpose of making you happy would inherently be called helping yourself by feeding off of others.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

"And what is it you think you have accomplished? If you seek to aid everyone that suffers in the galaxy, you will only weaken yourself … and weaken them. It is the internal struggles, when fought and won on their own, that yield the strongest rewards. You stole that struggle from them, cheapened it. If you care for others, then dispense with pity and sacrifice and recognize the value in letting them fight their own battles. And when they triumph, they will be even stronger for the victory."
―Kreia to Jedi Exile

All I could think about when I read that.

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 28, 2010, 11:17:08 pm »

I once raised $10 000 for a charity.

How many karma did I get from it?

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 28, 2010, 11:18:52 pm »

How many karma did I get from it?
How much karma do you think you deserve? :-\
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14