Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Migrants should migrate away sometimes  (Read 1947 times)

Sithlordz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Migrants should migrate away sometimes
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2010, 04:47:30 pm »

I would like migration waves to happen at the same time as Dwarven caravans arriving.  At the moment, I find that migrants come far too often and I have to make them into fish food find some stupid menial task to give them.  If it happens with caravan arrivals, that is, the migrants arrive attached to the caravans, there would be less of the bastards, and you could tell the liason to piss off with their migrants if you don't want any more people at that time.

It probably would make migrants less inclined to come to your fort, but it'd be a Godsend for me, killing off employing so many useless sods is annoying, and detracts from Dwarf happiness overall, what with the corpses everywhere shared accommodation while I make enough beds and whatnot.  But don't say to just lower the pop cap, I'd like to be able to have a big fortress when it's ready, but not have it forced on to me at a random point.
You are sentenced to 2477 consecutive life terms.  Have a nice day.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2010, 05:40:30 pm »

You can never have enough spear catchers.  :D

Fedor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2010, 07:16:33 pm »

I like the idea of dwarves leaving under certain conditions.  If those conditions are player-friendly to understand and alter.

I propose that the critical variables should be Attachment to fort and Discontentment.  Attachment to fort should depend on length of residence, deeds done (interesting kills, quality items produced, successful strange moods, etc.), and number and intensity of positive personal relationships.

Discontentment should be fairly strictly defined.  Dwarves getting no work or no vittles will be much more likely to leave.  Dwarves getting nothing but hauling, pumping, lever-pulling, etc. tasks will be somewhat more likely to leave.  They should first complain (in a way obvious to the player), then start taking actions (like hiding food somewhere) that indicate their plans to leave, and only after a while actually decamp.  Taking some stuff with them.

Dwarves with high job-related skills and/or many attributes should be more discontented about not getting interesting work than low-skilled dwarves; haulers are a vital part of running a fort, after all!  Hauler discontent can be addressed by good living conditions and holding parties (so they don't feel bored and unappreciated).
Fedor Andreev is a citizen of the Federated Endeavor. He is a member of the Wandering Minds.

Fedor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2010, 07:28:25 pm »

I would like migration waves to happen at the same time as Dwarven caravans arriving.  At the moment, I find that migrants come far too often ...
See, I don't think the same way at all.  I don't believe I've ever not had enough work to keep all the newcomers gainfully employed.  I usually am *really* glad to get a migration wave, because my existing dwarves seldom have enough hands to do all I want them to do.  I certainly don't want fewer migrants.  I'd be cool with easier ways to limit or slow down migration if so desired, but slower default migration wouldn't make me happy at all.
Fedor Andreev is a citizen of the Federated Endeavor. He is a member of the Wandering Minds.

neek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2010, 08:07:52 pm »

I do like the idea of a contract negotiation for specific dwarves, though i think it would be more trouble than its worth as long as training/waiting for moods is so easy.  I feel like you should be able to put out a call for specific types of dwarven skills, and then get a semirandom selection within that area.

I think perhaps it's why I suggested two things that it can do: You can contract non-dwarven labor, and you can contract (sometimes exotic) mercenaries. Building a big bad army to defend your fortress can be daunting, and when your numbers run thin year after year, it's a much better option to replenish your soldiers than trying to thin your own labor base.

But I agree--perhaps it should be more simple, you create a contract for specific types of labor, and then you get a semirandom dwarf for the job.

I like the idea of dwarves leaving under certain conditions.  If those conditions are player-friendly to understand and alter.

I propose that the critical variables should be Attachment to fort and Discontentment.  Attachment to fort should depend on length of residence, deeds done (interesting kills, quality items produced, successful strange moods, etc.), and number and intensity of positive personal relationships.

Discontentment should be fairly strictly defined.  Dwarves getting no work or no vittles will be much more likely to leave.  Dwarves getting nothing but hauling, pumping, lever-pulling, etc. tasks will be somewhat more likely to leave.  They should first complain (in a way obvious to the player), then start taking actions (like hiding food somewhere) that indicate their plans to leave, and only after a while actually decamp.  Taking some stuff with them.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. Dwarves who are attached shouldn't want to leave, and dwarves who are too discontent should first consult their leadership; these demands can be met, alleviating their problems or desire to stay.

At the same time, certain personality tags should come into play. A dwarf might like hauling, for instance. Or a dwarf might simply request that they gain new skills. They might request glass making instead of farming, and that might change it.

It creates an interesting challenge, balancing a social aspect (the desirability of your fort) amongst the general survivability. Of course, this should be an option that can be deselected in the init file.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2010, 10:30:55 pm »

Regarding legendaries; a dwarf who is skilled and capable of tremendous masterpieces should be attracted to the greatest centers of dwarven civilization, much how great artists tend to collect in Paris. While a fortress remains a dingy outpost with a dozen -larch beds- stacked in a corner of a storeroom, it should be nearly impossible to keep a legendary dwarf from wanting to go see the world. What's more, the dwarven king himself might request that legendary dwarf to come make him *Crystal Glass Goblets* or engrave his palace, drawing the dwarf back to the mountainhomes. This would make legendary dwarves both a blessing and a curse as the player uses all the fine products of the dwarf's labor to improve the fortress, but at the same time must ensure his legendary craftsdwarf has a big apartment. To be honest I'd like to see them added to the Noble's screen.

Of course once your fortress becomes home to the king, things change. Legendary dwarves would want to remain where their works can better glorify the sovereign. The problem might then shift as the lower classes, unable to afford bedrooms covered in masterwork engravings and eat gourmet *dwarven syrup roasts*, are driven out! This might well result in a whole new definition of 'fun' as we realize exactly why our starting seven left in the first place and create a natural 'life cycle' for dwarven cities; foundation, growth, maturity, apogee, decay, abandonment. Intelligent management of dwarves would be required to keep your fortress living indefinately; every dwarf a potential legendary, every legendary a snooty rich elitist, every rich elitist another curse on the common dwarf. Heck, kind of explains nobles. Retired legendaries.

Naturally, the desire to migrate could be controlled by a personality tag and influenced if the dwarf was born locally, has local relations, and so on. An unmarried legendary dwarf who originally migrated in, had a mood, and is now a miraculous gemcutter likely does not want to sit around your fort as long as a local-born, married miner who toiled and toiled to acheive his legendary status by carving out half the mountain.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 05:31:39 pm by Nikov »
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.
Pages: 1 [2]