Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Migrants should migrate away sometimes  (Read 1943 times)

The_Kakaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Migrants should migrate away sometimes
« on: January 26, 2010, 04:30:25 pm »

Migrant dwarves might be less annoying if they sometimes left the fortress.  I know after a few years I'm getting 10 or 20 a season, and they don't really get anything from being at my fortress except food, water and menial hauling jobs, and not always those.  I think if the fortress isn't training dwarves in a skill, the unskilled should have a chance of just up and leaving for another site, or going off to found their own fortress.  What drives them to keep showing up if all they get is uncooked plump helmets and a lifetime of hauling jobs?

Perhaps this could effect the over all desirability of the site for future migrants as well.  There could be a check of how many skill levels are raised by season and dwarf number.  If a low advancement rate is a problem, it could be changed rapidly by drafting a large number of dwarves and getting them up a few levels in wrestling, suddenly making it a spot for advancement again.  If there are too many dwarves, well just stop letting the unskilled do anything new and they'll just drift away.
Anything that happens in your land is your fault.  If the merchants decided to show up next to a volcano and jump in, it would still (somehow) be your fault.  If their liaison dies of old age on your doorstep, it's your fault.  If you accidentally lock the elves in the depot and wait until they're insane to capture them in cages and then lock the next group of elves in the depot and unleash the insane elves their cages, that's still somehow your fault.

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
Re: Migrants should migrate away sometimes
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 04:33:09 pm »

That... is a pretty good idea. :)
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 04:36:33 pm »

I believe there should be an option to tell the king to send some peasants at the beginning, once you get up your fortress to have different nobles you could order different jobs. These guys could be only brought in with coins, which youd have to produce. This would give coins more significance in dwarf mode

The_Kakaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 04:56:43 pm »

Maybe you could tell the fortress liason to send more dwarves, and offer trade goods or coins as like a bounty for them to join you.  Basically I would like to limit the random migration, and put it into the hands of the player.  Perhaps if a bounty system were set up, you could request specific skill levels or job types.  The amount offered would then determine if anyone of that profession/ability decided to come.  Unskilled migrants would be cheap, legendarily skilled would very very expensive.

The immigration bounty would stick around at the Mountainhome if no one took it, and could be added to until eventually someone took it up.
Anything that happens in your land is your fault.  If the merchants decided to show up next to a volcano and jump in, it would still (somehow) be your fault.  If their liaison dies of old age on your doorstep, it's your fault.  If you accidentally lock the elves in the depot and wait until they're insane to capture them in cages and then lock the next group of elves in the depot and unleash the insane elves their cages, that's still somehow your fault.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 09:46:21 pm »

theres a suggestion for a mivgration noble or some weird name...
that basically you can tell if you want migrants and if you do what kind you want...
and theres an option to tell the liason which migrants n what not.
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Thanshin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 02:57:58 am »

A great idea.

It would keep the fort improvement as a goal, to avoid all dwarves from migrating away.

Also, it would mean that tantrum wouldn't necessarily mean death. Dwarves could tantrum and migrate. Generating unhappy thoughts on family and friends.

Maybe to come back later. Generating happy thoughts on family and friends.

Can you imagine your legendary marksdwarf coming back from his long trip during an orc invasion, and saving the fort?

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 03:42:58 am »

or your legendary marksdwarf coming back and dying in one hit.
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

jfs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2010, 03:54:33 am »

Urist Lyebaker has been unhappy lately. He was unhappy with the lack of work last season.
Enough of that and a dwarf ought to be packing up soon.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2010, 04:11:07 am »

This should start happening with the army and caravan arc with there are fake population to draw a populace to and from. Probably a bit off though from being in the game.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
  • Who modded in these flying killer attack babies???
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2010, 11:18:11 am »

unskilled should have a chance of just up and leaving for another site, or going off to found their own fortress.

Actually, it'd be interesting if, once you become the mountainhome, you could pick a party of 7 and send them off into the most inhospitable corner of the world to make a fort.
In development: Arrkhal's Material and Weapon balance
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2010, 04:59:24 pm »

Moved my idea to it's own thread.

On the OP....not particularly a fan. They left the Mountainhome because they wanted adventure and a better life. There's nowhere really for them to go....and considering how much time you end up investing in leveling any given dwarf, that would really piss me off when one decided to leave because of a minor complaint/preference.

Actually, it'd be interesting if, once you become the mountainhome, you could pick a party of 7 and send them off into the most inhospitable corner of the world to make a fort.

Yes. That's much more fun than killing disciplining them.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 06:14:31 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2010, 11:12:55 am »

It would also really suck if, say, your legendary craftsdwarves and metalcrafters decide to migrate away.

I'm not a big fan of this idea as it removed a huge amount of control from the player. It takes years or decades of game time to train up a dwarf from a migrant to being a valuable asset to the fortress.

Also, where would the dwarf go? With just the tattered pig tail clothes on his back and no wagon full of supplies I don't think he would last very long in a wilderness full of goblins, elephants, and carp.

I do like the idea of being able to recruit dwarves to send them off map, such as forming an army and sending it off map to conquer some neighboring city. Or sending a group of dwarves out with orders to set up an outpost to produce some resource your fortress is low on. For example, send out a bunch of dwarves with mining picks and order them to mine copper ore, and they will send back annual shipments of copper unless those dwarves meet an Unfortunate Accident, likely at the hands of goblins.

That would be awesome. And it would also be under the player's control as to which dwarves go.

neek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2010, 08:46:00 pm »

I like this suggestion, were it handled properly. There're a few suggestions to add to this:
1). The Liaison's visits could include a "hire" option, so you can pay (in trade goods--I don't like the idea of coins) for the services of a dwarf. He could have a contract with the Fortress for a default set of years, with the contract renegotiable every so few years. You could view their equipment, skills, and possibly gleam some information from them through Legends, and determine it that way. This way, you could hire out unusual mercenaries or request certain jobs filled. There would have to be an option to "buy out" their contract, so they can stay indefinitely. Human liaisons might also be able to do this. Though a tad complicated, and in need of some work, I'd like to see this feature.

2). If dwarves leave by their own accord, they should go into a meeting with the leader; a certain list of requirements, certain mood tags, and a lot of random chance should determine if they want to leave by their own accord (so you won't potentially lose your whole fortress, though you might.) The dwarf, if he wants to leave the fort, might enter a meeting with the fortress leader (whatever rank he is); the fortress leader might persuade the dwarf to stay (at your own discretion--the dwarf might make a demand to want to stay, so you'd have three options: Reconcile based on the leader's social skills, meet the demands such as they demand stately quarters or their own private dining room, or simply let them leave.) Optionally, your leader might put out a contract for one of your dwarves to the liaison, so you can send some away for a while.

While this is fathomably more complex, 'twould be pretty damn cool to see.

xdarkcodex

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch in awe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2010, 12:32:42 am »

They could also leave if they are having a really hard time. Say someone just died so he/she leaves the fortress to live with a relative?
the statement below is true
the statement above is false

The_Kakaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2010, 12:45:56 am »

I think dwarves who have legendary skill would be immune to migration--- They have reached the pinnacle of their craft, and so wouldn't be looking for advancement elsewhere.  This is mostly aimed at the unattached, unskilled dwarves.

I do like the idea of a contract negotiation for specific dwarves, though i think it would be more trouble than its worth as long as training/waiting for moods is so easy.  I feel like you should be able to put out a call for specific types of dwarven skills, and then get a semirandom selection within that area.

If it ever gets harder to train up a dwarf in something (like say doctoring, which might need training that only combat would provide, which is a bad place for untrained doctors) then requesting specific skills/dwarves would be great.
Pages: [1] 2