Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dragons in Adventure Mode  (Read 8069 times)

Iban

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
Dragons in Adventure Mode
« on: January 21, 2010, 05:36:59 pm »

I crapped out a Dragon entity and I'm having some fun with it. I was pleasantly surprised to see that there was at least a moderately functional flight system. However, dragon breath and building destroyer don't seem to be controllable feature. Is there a work-around for this?

Iban

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
Re: Dragons in Adventure Mode
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 05:52:08 pm »

I seem to be wrong about dragon-fire. It isn't the fantastic fireworks that you see in Fortress or from NPCs, but it seems to exist.

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 08:28:03 pm »

Did you base this on one of hte common mods?  I think some of them have added special attacks to the dragons.  Using proper dragonfire in Adventure Mode hasn't been implemented yet as far as I know, though if you recruit a dragon drunk it will breathe fire in battle.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

Iban

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 08:31:43 pm »

Did you base this on one of hte common mods?  I think some of them have added special attacks to the dragons.  Using proper dragonfire in Adventure Mode hasn't been implemented yet as far as I know, though if you recruit a dragon drunk it will breathe fire in battle.
The Dig Deeper mod apparently added that as one of the Dragons' attacks.

Zsword

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 09:42:16 pm »

I crapped out a Dragon entity and I'm having some fun with it. I was pleasantly surprised to see that there was at least a moderately functional flight system. However, dragon breath and building destroyer don't seem to be controllable feature. Is there a work-around for this?

Wait, you got flight to actually work? Please do tell, I've been trying to get it to work for awhile now.

Iban

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 11:06:34 pm »

It's iffy, but here's how it works:

There is a flight ceiling everywhere. In some places, you wont get off the ground. In which case, find a hill and Alt+Arrow over to the ramp. You will be placed on top of it with "Flying" as a status. Moving over water in any case will automagically put you into flight mode. This allows you to fly over oceans, but while in [T]ravel mode, mountains and oceans still impede movement.

If the flight ceiling is higher (I've seen 20 Z levels at goblin forts), you can use Shift+Arrow to move up and forward in that direction. To move straight up or down, you can use the < and > keys.

While in flight mode, the game considers the 9 tiles directly below you as attack spots. It is entire plausible to swoop over a harmless elf child and grab and shake its head.

And just in case you're wondering: Yes, marksmen can still shoot you. Yes, if you get stunned at high altitude you will die.

Proof:
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 11:12:22 pm by Iban »

druid91

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2010, 12:07:43 am »

so how do you get it to breath fire? a button or what?
The least you could have done was throw down some booze and seasoning. Abyssal Monsters that Creatures of the Light Know Not Of aren't savages, y'know. Sharing's caring.

Iban

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2010, 01:22:56 am »

You cant.

I have a rather modest suggestion, if Toady would be willing to add it.

There should be two new body token: "[FIREGLAND:#tiles:ConeofFireo:tempo]" and "[SILKGLAND:#tiles:ConeofFireo]", which would determine that the body part is capable of producing either webbing or fire. You would construct a body part like this:

Code: [Select]
[BODY:DRAGON_GIZZARD]
[BP:DGIZZARD:gizzard][CONTYPE:UPPERBODY][INTERNAL][SMALL][FIREGLAND:24:45:10800]

[BODY:GIANT_SPINNERET]
[BP:GSPINNERET:spinneret][CONTYPE:LOWERBODY][SMALL][SILKGLAND:10:20]

Then, using the [f]ire key, the option to spit fire/webbing using the marksman system is available. In the above examples, the adventure would shoot fire that would consume 24 tiles in a 45o angle from the point of fire at a temperature equal to the homeothermic value of a magma man. The body part will then need a few steps to refill its sac.

However, you could also do something like this:

[BODY:2GIZZARD]
[BP:RGIZZARD:right gizzard][CONTYPE:UPPERBODY][INTERNAL][SMALL][FIREGLAND:24:45:10800]
[BP:LGIZZARD:left gizzard][CONTYPE:UPPERBODY][INTERNAL][SMALL][FIREGLAND:24:45:10800]

Then, the character would have the ability to shoot two jets of fire immediately, but would then need to wait for at least one of them to refill after the other has.

Just a thought.  ;)

druid91

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2010, 01:36:32 am »

but you got it to work for this picture.
The least you could have done was throw down some booze and seasoning. Abyssal Monsters that Creatures of the Light Know Not Of aren't savages, y'know. Sharing's caring.

Iban

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2010, 01:39:59 am »

I was wrong. The Digging Deeper mod added an attack for all Dragons that allows them to use a powerful heat attack to incinerate body parts.

Iban

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2010, 02:26:48 am »

This is somewhat irrelevant, but my Dragon was named:

Men Tumblescapes the Incinerated Disemboweler.

I recently discovered that I could pick up giant axes with my mouth and that works somewhat better than breaking limbs with my claws. I can also fire crossbows, apparently.

Desiderium

• Bay Watcher
  • [SELECT_SYMBOL:UNTOWARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2010, 12:24:18 am »

Could you post the code for the dragon entity you wrote please?

I'm curious on how to go about writing an entry for a creature who can't wear normal gear or operate machinery.

I've also been looking for a way to play Dragons in Adventure Mode.

Thanks. ;D

Urist McWounded has created a microcline bucket, on the bucket is an image of Urist, Urist is surrounded by the dwarves, Urist is wasting away, The dwarves are working, The bucket is empty.  On the bucket is an image of Urists third finger in dwarf bone.

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2010, 02:24:15 am »

[ENTITY:DRAGON]
     [CREATURE:DRAGON]
     [INDIV_CONTROLLABLE]

That's all you need. They won't build cities or anything, but you can play one as a Play Now! character.

Desiderium

• Bay Watcher
  • [SELECT_SYMBOL:UNTOWARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2010, 02:49:16 am »

I really don't need any more than that? Nothing from the Entity Tokens at all? I learned something already today! (1:48 AM)

Thank you very much. ;D

Oh, one more thing, will I have to gen a new world to be able to use them?

Urist McWounded has created a microcline bucket, on the bucket is an image of Urist, Urist is surrounded by the dwarves, Urist is wasting away, The dwarves are working, The bucket is empty.  On the bucket is an image of Urists third finger in dwarf bone.

xdarkcodex

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch in awe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2010, 03:26:52 am »

I really don't need any more than that? Nothing from the Entity Tokens at all? I learned something already today! (1:48 AM)

Thank you very much. ;D

Oh, one more thing, will I have to gen a new world to be able to use them?
I didn't know that either and yes to your question I'm pretty sure.
the statement below is true
the statement above is false
Pages: [1] 2