Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Possible use for hydra like regeneration...  (Read 3770 times)

thobal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Signature goes here.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Possible use for hydra like regeneration...
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 12:14:46 am »

There is a significantly better (and earlier  ;D) case where such an idea was brought up.

Also, there was a thread on the Wizards boards a couple of years ago about using the D&D Tarrasque as a food source for an entire civilization. It's not a new idea, though it is kinda amusing until you think about the repercussions more.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 03:39:31 am »

There is a significantly better (and earlier  ;D) case where such an idea was brought up.

Also, there was a thread on the Wizards boards a couple of years ago about using the D&D Tarrasque as a food source for an entire civilization. It's not a new idea, though it is kinda amusing until you think about the repercussions more.
A civilization that requires little to no agriculture can support a much higher population and can, in theory, obtain advanced technology much earlier, like antimatter powerplants that also get rid of the extra mass produced. And if they develop anti gravity they can just dump the waste from their food production and increase the size an surface of their planet with no averse effects because of the increased gravity.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 04:05:23 am »

I recall that in Warhammer, there was a Goblin of some sort who ate some Troll meat by accident. It regrew as he digested it, making him bigger until he was big enough to reach digestive equilibrium. I think he got some regenerative powers out of it, too.

Moral of the story, using regenerative creatures for food is bound to result in tears and confusion.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 05:58:56 am »

In DOminions 3 there's an unique troll skin that eventually turns the wearer into the troll who was skinned in the first place
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 06:23:52 am »

Moral of the story, using regenerative creatures for food is bound to result in tears and confusion.

I'm confused. Is that "tears" as in weeping, or "tears" as in rips in the digestive system?
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 07:30:00 am »

There's a Mongoose supplement book for 3.5 that introduces Troll Rations, which are a hunk of trollvery specifically calibrated for a particular person, so that, as long as that person drank only water and ate nothing else, the troll would regerate at exactly the rate of digestion. THe penalty for eating anything elase was horrific and predictable.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2010, 07:41:31 am »

I'm confused. Is that "tears" as in weeping, or "tears" as in rips in the digestive system?
"Yes"? :)

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2010, 07:51:19 am »

Edit: ok, I was going to be subtle and just let the fact that I sigged this show out for itself, but considering this might be read later when my signature has changed and I would then look like a jerk, I felt the need to make this edit. "sigged"
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 07:53:02 am by The Architect »
The sigs topic:

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2010, 07:07:00 pm »

It wasn't wizards, it was rpgnet

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2010, 10:39:25 pm »

A civilization that requires little to no agriculture can support a much higher non-farming population and can, in theory, obtain advanced technology much earlier, like antimatter powerplants that also get rid of the extra mass produced. And if they develop anti gravity they can just dump the waste from their food production and increase the size an surface of their planet with no averse effects because of the increased gravity.

Also, in the context of the tarrasque, the source of unlimited resources also happens to be a semi-divine living bottomless pit, meaning that you can dump any excess waste back where it came from.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

HungryHobo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2010, 12:29:08 pm »

Out of interest in the next version

1: will fast/instant regeneration be possible?
if not any idea if toady has any plans to implement it?

2: will it be possible to butcher body parts?
ie get a piece of eddible meat from a leg.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2010, 12:43:04 pm »

1. Unknown and unlikely; Toady's comments did not indicate that he planned that at all. What they did indicate is that he planned for hydras to survive beheadings.

2. Yes.
The sigs topic:

Bacu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2010, 03:31:28 pm »

# PowerGoal165, "IT WAS A DESPERATE BATTLE...", (Future): You are cursed with the ability to regenerate your limbs overnight. The King of Yondor has set on a bounty on the bandits and will give three gold pieces for every arm that is brought in with the bandits' characteristic tattoos. After adding the necessary marks yourself, you repeatedly cut off your own arm to give to the king, waiting each time for the body part to rot somewhat so as to avoid suspicion.

HungryHobo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2010, 05:07:22 pm »

I can't wait for that!
I can image it now.

An almost immortal megabeast trapped, used for target practice to keep it bleeding, it's blood gradually filling the moat.

When supplies run low it is chained down and a team of axedwarves hack at it to provide material for the butchers shop.
Pages: [1] 2