Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9

Author Topic: Contest: Big red lever of doom  (Read 23710 times)

Captain Alchatron

• Bay Watcher
  • The Elbow of Ragnaros
    • View Profile
Re: Contest: Big red lever of doom
« Reply #105 on: February 15, 2010, 05:52:47 pm »

I wasn't expecting so much work at this odd time - so unfortunately I'm nowhere near finished with my fort! ;(

I might upload the files in a while, if I ever get it finished, but this is me withdrawing officially from the contest. May the best man win - I'll be looking into the ones that have finished. :)
If you go up to someone and beat the hell out of them with thread, you not only defeat them, you shame them and their entire family for generations to come (providing that there are any survivors).
Various mouths were involved, and a soda can and a penny I think.

vturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 15, 2010, 08:10:40 pm »

Results so far:

Grek has a very, very Dwarfy mist generator which it appears is supposed to turn into a magma disperser.  The first time I pulled the lever it killed a few dwarves and then the magma stopped.  I hadn't investigated the setup enough to be sure what caused that so I reloaded and investigated the setup more until I thought I understood what it was supposed to do.   On the second attempt it immediately cast obsidian over the magma intake which plugged up the works.  On the third try the screw pumps all deconstructed themselves before much damage was done.  It might have been enough to cause a tantrum spiral though.  I altered it to be a bit more direct and discovered that since it's pulling magma from the top of the pipe it quickly drains the pipe and can't pull in enough magma to overcome evaporation to truly flood the fort, if that's what is supposed to happen.  It appears that some of the time there is enough death to start a tantrum spiral, but it doesn't seem to be what you were really going for.  Bonus points for the fell mood right after I pulled the lever the first time though.  One question: what does the pressure plate do?  Okay, 2nd question: How did you get that one block of water to circulate around the mist generator?  The mist generator is truly impressive. 

Draco18s:
Not a valid save file.  It looks like this is just post world generation.  It has world.dat, no world.sav.  Was it so effective it removed the fort from the face of the world?

Lordinquisitor:
When I try to load the game I get a FATAL ERROR: Missing Stone Gloss: SPELL_BLANK.  This would appear to be the "Destroy the fabric of the universe" approach.  I tried it under 40d16-Mayday and regular old 40d.

I'm personally more than willing to wait another week if others can finish.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 15, 2010, 08:25:51 pm »

Draco18s:
Not a valid save file.  It looks like this is just post world generation.  It has world.dat, no world.sav.  Was it so effective it removed the fort from the face of the world?

Weird, I'll try updating it again.

Ah ha.  Zipped the wrong folder. XD  Try it again.

Lordinquisitor:
When I try to load the game I get a FATAL ERROR: Missing Stone Gloss: SPELL_BLANK.  This would appear to be the "Destroy the fabric of the universe" approach.  I tried it under 40d16-Mayday and regular old 40d.

Ditto here.  I use vanilla everything, except my mod to dwarves to gives them [SPEED:10]
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 08:31:41 pm by Draco18s »

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 15, 2010, 10:06:49 pm »

I'm personally more than willing to wait another week if others can finish.

I will take you up on that offer, kind sir.
If the OP agrees to it, of course.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 10:16:21 pm by Lord Dakoth »
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

vturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 15, 2010, 10:12:10 pm »

That did the trick Draco18s.  The magma's at 4/5 now, but I'll have to watch the finale tomorrow.  Where's my magma kitchen so I can make Popcorn?  I love how the Dungeon Master is just walking down there to grab Gold for Smelting.  It will be hilarious if he manages to die in the gold vein.

I gave Grek's another try and I did get a full-strength tantrum spiral out of it.  It was quite humorous when the migrants walked right into it.  "Hi, I'm your new Dungeon Master."  "Urist Rage!!!!"  THWACK, "killing Dungeon Master make Urist feel better!".  I'll have to give a few bonus points for obliterating a migrant wave so efficiently.

malroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 15, 2010, 10:26:57 pm »

everyone wants another week?   okay sure 
Why couldn't my vampire Hammerer eat someone useless, like a migrant? Instead, she went after my only gemcutter.. but sadly there were no witnesses, so I convicted someone's pet duck as the murderer.  It got off easy, with no beatings or jail time.  >.<

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 15, 2010, 10:31:39 pm »

The idea was to take the water mist generator and turn it into a magma mist generator which would then set the fort on fire.

The presure plate is supposed to cut off the magma flow so that only 1 7/7 tile of magma is spinning around the pumping system and magma misting. It's supposed to -not- flood the fort. Unfortunately, it seems to destroy the axles and take out the pumps before it can properly mist the fort.

Code: [Select]
7%=6%=5  The numberd tiles are where water/magma mist is generated.
=     %  = is the end of a screw pump FROM which water is pumped.
%     =  % is the end of a screw pump TO which water is pumped.
8     4
=     %  The water is pumped in at tile 1 at level Z-1. It is
%     =    picked up by the pump and then circulates around
1=%2=%3    in number order from 1 to 8 and repeasts itself.

The whole thing must be constantly powered and connected to the same power source in order to function. The magma is pumped in at tile 3 at Z-1. It works exactly as the water pump does, except with magma. Sadly, it turns out that the magma will not generate mist if the magma was  not properly contained. It resulted in the fortress being flooded with small amounts of magma rather than a shower of magma mist.

Given another week, I would be glad to improve upon the design and repair the water cannon located to the west of the misting chamber.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 10:36:22 pm by Grek »

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 15, 2010, 10:45:28 pm »

That did the trick Draco18s.  The magma's at 4/5 now, but I'll have to watch the finale tomorrow.

With the wall surrounding the supports it takes longer (I think there's enough magma!) but is closer to how I'd envisioned it: flooding an area fully surrounding the fort to make a magma moat that couldn't be tunneled into either* but that wasn't completely finished to insure that the magma couldn't do harm.

The Mayor's office/dining room/cinabar lever was a late addition because I got bored and wanted to do something with all that orthoclase.

Spoiler: stunning view (click to show/hide)

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
  • Innocence proves nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 16, 2010, 06:43:55 am »

Oh dear. Seems like there was some bit of the spellcraft mod left, even though i was sure to have deleted everything.

Well- If you still want to evaluate my fortress i might upload my folder.

vturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 17, 2010, 10:13:32 pm »

That did the trick Draco18s.  The magma's at 4/5 now, but I'll have to watch the finale tomorrow.

With the wall surrounding the supports it takes longer (I think there's enough magma!) but is closer to how I'd envisioned it: flooding an area fully surrounding the fort to make a magma moat that couldn't be tunneled into either* but that wasn't completely finished to insure that the magma couldn't do harm.

The Mayor's office/dining room/cinabar lever was a late addition because I got bored and wanted to do something with all that orthoclase.

Spoiler: stunning view (click to show/hide)

Well, the fort is destroyed.  Unfortunately it was destroyed by a goblin siege that wiped everybody out just when the Magma was at 7/+1.  It actually lost a lot of dwarves early who decided to just wander around down there while it was flooding.  I think they were getting stone for crafts.  That caused other dwarves to try to retrieve the corpses which caused more deaths and started a bit of a tantrum spiral.  Then I had a goblin ambush take a few dwarves out, then I got one of those fun doomed migrant waves, then I got the siege.  I've got seasonal auto-saves on, so I'm going to load one of them and remove the bridges.  It looks like that should keep everything out.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 18, 2010, 01:44:57 pm »

Well, the fort is destroyed.  Unfortunately it was destroyed by a goblin siege that wiped everybody out just when the Magma was at 7/+1.

That's pretty funny.

I so far have run the game up to 7/+1 nearing in on the +2 (there are some, clustered around the pipe).

But yeah.  I never really made a military, though there are a few dwarves who are wrestlers (miners and masons, mostly) for when kobolds showed up, and a few other threats.  I was mostly focused on having a giant pit to drop the fort into. :P

In my running of it, I had a Titan show up (which my dwarves prompty beat the crap out of--go speed:10!) and I'm hoping his corpse turns into bones before everything collapses (value!). :D

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 18, 2010, 08:22:54 pm »

I finally got everything to collapse, apparently the magma flow just isn't fast enough to fill up above the 7/+1 level enough to accumulate 7/+2s.  I guess its "evaporating"?

Almost ran out of magma waiting for it.

The three peasants who were in the Mayor's room at the time of collapse survived with about 45 drink and 45+19 food.  But they're buried deep under ground and magma fills most of the surrounding moat (5 z levels completely full).

Apparently in the collapse ramps are destroyed, which means that all those windows were blown out, which is awesome.  They now litter the doom chamber.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 19, 2010, 01:22:32 pm »

Um... yeah, so my mechanic kind of... died. I had the misfortune of not having any water, and he died of thirst because of a broken arm...

Is my entry still eligible?

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 19, 2010, 01:30:53 pm »

Um... yeah, so my mechanic kind of... died. I had the misfortune of not having any water, and he died of thirst because of a broken arm...

Is my entry still eligible?

Can't save-scum?

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 19, 2010, 01:39:52 pm »

Hypothetically I could, but that would put me back one and a half years, and if the OP is kind and merciful I might be able to get around it.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9