Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Talk: Topic Discussion  (Read 33405 times)

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Talk: Topic Discussion
« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2010, 05:45:30 pm »

errrrr the 8th df-talk 8 was already done and there was no poll/discussion for number 9. so you are a little bit late.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Totaku

• Bay Watcher
  • The little oni that strikes the earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2010, 06:07:01 pm »

Ideas for topics huh, I like some of the ideas Toady's put together. I'll place them in order of interest here.

Future of Magic This is one feature I've been waiting for ages to learn about. This will determine what kind of ideas will come up in the future for me. I know that the world of magic can be very vast and complicated,but I would like to know more about what Toady has in mind when he considered "magic" all together. Like will we expect things like blinking, telportation, ice lightinng, summoning ect., or something different? Plus the wizards as they are an important figure in this as well.

Future of Mechanics We know that Toady's considering moving fortress parts and we could see lifts and other devices come once we get to the seige arc of his development. But I also want to consider idea like: will we be expecting other devices deep in the future, like systems like possible lifting devices for items for easier construction, other unique kinds of traps, and probably one of my biggest dreams....a mobile fortress!
Life outside the Fortress This one is more about world gen basiclly but it can also apply to the military system regarding Dwarves that are sent to areas outside to fight invading forces approching the fort. (as in outside the play area). I would like to know more about this.

Edit: I just realized....this topic is ooooolllld..... Sigh..... unless it applies to now, I'm going to say forget my suggestions.....
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 09:29:47 am by Totaku »
That's one small step for man, one giant leap for Otakukind!

And maker of the mod in progress known as Suika Fortress Now for 0.34.xx!

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2010, 12:00:30 pm »

Is this thread ongoing? If not, why is it still sticky'd?

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2010, 01:40:57 am »

When the time is right, you will know.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2010, 06:23:17 pm »

When the time is right, you will know.

Man, that's the same kind of bullshit my old sensei used to feed me before he went and meditated under a waterfall for a thousand years, and the National Martial Arts Tournament is next Tuesday! I'll never be ready before then!

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2010, 07:05:11 pm »

Well either that that or we have tea with some elder gods in the next time.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Jayce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 06, 2010, 03:50:57 pm »

I hope toady can sort the wheat from the chaff,suggestion wise.

brucemo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 02, 2010, 11:44:53 pm »

Obvious idea:

Fix the list of outstanding bugs in fortress mode.  Dwarves that won't change clothes, blood, vomit, and toxic ichor all over everything forever (nothing wrong with blood, vomit , and toxic ichor, just not *forever*), glacial rate of skill-up in military training, hideous frames per second in every fort that's large enough to be interesting, the baron bug, poor implementation of stockpiles and the manager queue, copper bolts and lashes uber alles, and so on.

I know you're busy working on more than one product, and I know that people who play DF are expected to be rather hard core about being able to work around bugs and eccentricities.  But fortress mode is the center of the universe and buggy software sucks no matter how cool the product is.  And next to an outright crash, the worst bug is slow performance.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2010, 12:17:15 am »

the baron bug

Dungeonmasterdungeonmasterdungeonmasterdungeonmasterdungeonmasterdungeonmasterdungeonmaster
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #54 on: October 03, 2010, 12:36:46 am »

Obvious idea:

What does this have to do with DF Talk?

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 03, 2010, 01:23:08 am »

Alrighty how about:

Proper civ sites: IE sites that actualy look how theyre supposed to be, like the one's toady was working a while back. Sprawling farmlands, towns that look like actual towns, protective wall included. Goblin towers that actualy look like towers, dwarf fortresses that are more then just a huge hole on the ground. Toady's plans for more immersive sites and how NPCs interact with it, and how the adventurer will be able to interact with them (housing, climbing walls, theft, breaking and entering, etc).

Worldgen scenarios:
while worldgen is pretty awesome as it is, it'd be nice to see some worlds in which things went terribly wrong due to a scripted event and now a demon is amassing an army to take over the world (like Tremoda in my favorite threetoe story), or a naive wizard caused an undead plague to devastate most of the landscape, or even a world in which peace reings for a thousand years and all races are on good term with eachother. Conditions for said scenarios happening in normal worldgen, pre scripted scenarios and giving the players the power of choice over them.

NPC interaction: what will NPCs be willing to offer you, and how will they react to you as an adventurer, fortress or otherwise? How NPCs will interact with eachother, and how their individual personalities affect the player and everything else around them? Are NPCs really going to get their own personalities like our dear fortress dwarves? Will things such as NPC psychopaths, criminals, hired assassins, travelling heroes, reclusive wizards and madmen NPCs be possible?
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 03, 2010, 07:21:20 pm »

Well either that that or we have tea with some elder gods in the next time.

Actually...

If you guys wanted to talk about the future of Not Necessarily Violent FB relations with fortresses, that'd be way cool. I know some placeholders are in, as I've seen FB's that radiate aura's of kindness and so forth. Whether that would be like a superspecialawesome migrant or something, or just a cool dude who chills in the caverns instead of pillaging, etc.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 03, 2010, 07:22:45 pm »

I'd be interested in hearing about their plans for Gnomes. Right now they're just pests who run in to steal your booze, but it seems like they have lots of room to make them interesting.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 15, 2010, 05:40:24 pm »

Given the mention in the latest DF Talk about how this thread was less than inspirational in terms of topic generation, I figured this thread could use a swift kick in the knickers.

On that note, I'd like to see some discussion about the social lives of dwarves. How are friendships formed? How does love blossom? Are there dwarven turnons, or do they look for other dwarves they click with? What about grudges? Do those have specific triggers? Are there plans for a dwarf to dislike a person without developing some kind of elaborate revenge plan? Will dwarves who hate each other be more likely to fight as their moods drop? What about more specific emotions, like admiration or jealousy? How will all of this impact fortress politics and power groups? If the mayor or baron hates their human/elf/dwarf counterpart, will that sour relations between the fortress and the corresponding faction? How much will social actions in general impact the regular play of Fortress Mode? How do you see all this and the whole gamut of social interactions developing and being implemented? Where does it fit in the grand scheme of things? Do you foresee differences between how these relationships develop in Fortress Mode and Adventure Mode?

What about you, Bay Watchers? Is this something that interests you? Do you have your own ideas you'd rather hear about than that wall of text? Is it possible for me to end every sentence with a question mark? Hanging up? Dial tone?

Lord Herman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 15, 2010, 09:52:09 am »

I'd like to hear some more about the future of cooking, farming and brewing. There are some pretty interesting ideas in the Cooking and Brewing Diversity thread in the Suggestions forum, and I was wondering what Toady's thoughts on the matter are.

Another, maybe smaller subject I'd like to hear more about is crafts. Will dorfs ever wear the amulets and rings and so on that they make? Will there ever be particular pieces of jewelry associated with a particular position, like a particular crown worn by the king of a dwarven kingdom, or an amulet worn by the sheriff of a fort? Could an adventurer steal the king's crown, and will people who have never seen the king in person think he is the king because he wears that particular crown?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7