Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Talk: Topic Discussion  (Read 33377 times)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Talk: Topic Discussion
« Reply #60 on: November 15, 2010, 06:07:22 pm »

I'd like to hear some more about the future of cooking, farming and brewing. There are some pretty interesting ideas in the Cooking and Brewing Diversity thread in the Suggestions forum, and I was wondering what Toady's thoughts on the matter are.

Another, maybe smaller subject I'd like to hear more about is crafts. Will dorfs ever wear the amulets and rings and so on that they make? Will there ever be particular pieces of jewelry associated with a particular position, like a particular crown worn by the king of a dwarven kingdom, or an amulet worn by the sheriff of a fort? Could an adventurer steal the king's crown, and will people who have never seen the king in person think he is the king because he wears that particular crown?

Hear hear!

I'll be THAT GUY and throw out the obvious: Now that everybody has played adventure mode we're going to want to know more about how combat works again, and how adventure mode is going to progress. Not to mention juicy details of the caravan arc and how its supposed to be "the next step on the convergence of Adventure Mode and Fortress Mode"

Lord Herman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 21, 2010, 05:35:46 pm »

I'd also love to hear a thing or two about Toady's plans for goverments and justice systems, both in Fortress mode and in adventure mode. Will we ever be able to write our own laws in fortress mode, punishing litterers by throwing them down the Tower of Death? Will our mayor and nobles ever perform an actual role in governing the fort? Will our adventurer ever be fined for wearing purple on the King's birthday?

Edit: Oh, and maybe something about quests and narrative in adventure mode? Will we see other kinds of quests in the future, like 'go to ruin X and find artifact Y', or 'rescue the king's pet fluffy wambler from the clutches of the evil dragon'? Will there be multi-part quests or overarching plots? Will we see engravings about quests?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 09:03:15 am by Lord Herman »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 22, 2010, 04:25:27 pm »

I'd like to hear more about personalities. I thought I heard somewhere that Toady wanted to do a personalities' rewrite, or at least flesh out what some of the other personality traits do. I'd totally like to hear more about that. More A-life, prz!
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Jiri Petru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 01, 2010, 04:27:01 pm »

Dwarf fortress vs. Human town vs. Elven retreat vs. Goblin tower

How will these game modes differ? What are Toady's plans to make the races unique in terms of gameplay?
Yours,
Markus Cz. Clasplashes

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 01, 2010, 09:58:37 pm »

I'd also love to hear a thing or two about Toady's plans for goverments and justice systems, both in Fortress mode and in adventure mode. Will we ever be able to write our own laws in fortress mode, punishing litterers by throwing them down the Tower of Death? Will our mayor and nobles ever perform an actual role in governing the fort? Will our adventurer ever be fined for wearing purple on the King's birthday?

Seconded. Even just the ability to alter the ethics of your fortress would be an interesting wrinkle.

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 21, 2010, 05:00:55 pm »

Has the topic of forts becoming leading forts when it comes to science?

Perhaps mathematicians migrating? Various other scientists?

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 23, 2010, 02:13:07 am »

I'd like to hear about gods and religion. This will factor into entity groups - churches and things of that nature - which have already been discussed. But a look at those with specific thought to the way dwarves and other races worship would be nice, and a look at the future possible natures of gods, and what a force is, and things like that, that sort of discussion would pretty much all be new.

A thought to how god mode will eventually work would be interesting as well, even if it was a post 1.0 goal last I recall.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 02:14:50 am by Cruxador »

Naros

• Bay Watcher
  • [COVETS_SPOONS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 26, 2011, 08:34:25 pm »

I'd very much like to hear about the various planned options for starting a fort; different conditions / number of starting dwarves / percentile amount amount of starting points, other than the standard "7 dwarves set out to start a new fort".

I've seen Toady make a comment on this here and there, and I'd like to know which kind of starting conditions he envisions. This excites me.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 15, 2011, 10:30:26 pm »

I think it would be cool to do a Talk (or at least a segment) on the contents of the Suggestion Forum. Perhaps select some threads based on relevance to immediate devgoals, thoroughness, or personal interest to Toady, and then generate discussion based on how the content of those threads relates to Toady's vision of their topic. It would work well both as a way to generate some focused discussion as well as a way to advertise the Suggestion Forum somewhat.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 15, 2011, 11:15:48 pm »

I think it would be cool to do a Talk (or at least a segment) on the contents of the Suggestion Forum. Perhaps select some threads based on relevance to immediate devgoals, thoroughness, or personal interest to Toady, and then generate discussion based on how the content of those threads relates to Toady's vision of their topic. It would work well both as a way to generate some focused discussion as well as a way to advertise the Suggestion Forum somewhat.

A discussion entirely on suggestions? personally I'd love it... but Toady's current not talking about the suggestion board helps with the feeling that he reads everything.

Even I was somewhat disgruntled when I sort of found out even some of my more well thought out suggestions weren't REALLY looked at by Toady because he really didn't have time.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #70 on: February 16, 2011, 01:09:20 am »

The core problem with the suggestion forum is that everyone's putting their ego on the line.  It's not that they want a suggestion discussed implemented, they want their suggestion discussed and implemented.  It's why people post in it more than they read it.  For what it's worth, I do keep my eye on the best threads and point 'em at Toady during our talks.  But to expect every rank and file thread to be personally eyeballed is asking too much for our resident hypermind.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 16, 2011, 01:12:42 am »

Which is exactly why a "Suggestion based Dwarf Fortress talk" is a bad idea.

Well, ok there are more reasons... but still.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 16, 2011, 01:49:06 am »

The core problem with the suggestion forum is that everyone's putting their ego on the line.  It's not that they want a suggestion discussed implemented, they want their suggestion discussed and implemented.  It's why people post in it more than they read it.  For what it's worth, I do keep my eye on the best threads and point 'em at Toady during our talks.  But to expect every rank and file thread to be personally eyeballed is asking too much for our resident hypermind.
This is an interesting point. An anonymous suggestion forum could perhaps amend this, at least in part.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 16, 2011, 01:53:46 am »

This is an interesting point. An anonymous suggestion forum could perhaps amend this, at least in part.

It isn't exactly needed and the suggestion forum works as it is.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 16, 2011, 01:58:33 am »

Anonymity tends to cause problems with GIFT.

If the supposed problem is that people want their suggestions to win through, and aren't concerned with reading anyone else's, then not having any sort of repercussions aside from possibly banning if things get too crazy isn't going to encourage responsible behavior in any way.  People will still want the things they suggested to get through, after all, and now you've taken away social pressure from the forums as a means of encouraging or discouraging certain behaviors.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7