Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1345 1346 [1347]

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2808202 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #20190 on: July 14, 2024, 05:32:32 pm »

Just wait, you still haven't realized you also have to design the components that you design your ships with. Also, have fun with missile design. And ground forces.

I never got as far as actually fighting enemies playing this game. I assume any ships I design for such purposes suck.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20191 on: July 16, 2024, 04:58:33 pm »

yeah. I need like a prebuilt ship guide to base other designs off of. Youtube doesn't help much goes too fast and endlessly pausing/rewinding etc gets a little annoying. But there isn't much in the way of designs or pre-mades. Like in shores of hazeron you could download other peoples designs...personally thats how I learned a lot about hazeron (even with its janky NEW designer) is looking what other people did. Thats generally how I learn irl, just starting with a blank piece of paper just makes me stare at nothingness and nothing ever gets done.

Aurora sounds amazing if I could figure it out...but its getting kinda frustrating

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #20192 on: July 16, 2024, 11:05:39 pm »

It definitely takes a lot to figure out, and you'll likely make some rather serious mistakes along the way, but having your little fleet face off against an alien threat and watching your volleys of missiles make it through their point defense and blast them apart is definitely a feeling of accomplishment. You just might have a few hiccups along the way, like realizing your ships can't actually fire their weapons due to enemy ECM. Or watching your entire volley of missiles disintegrate under focused point defense fire, then desperately ordering all of your ships to flee - only to have them chased down and blown apart by ships that are twice as fast as them.

It's definitely a hard game to get into, though. I'm itching to play it again but relearning the mechanics (things have changed quite a bit since I last played, lol) is daunting. Right now I'm stuck on how I want to set up a game. The last time I got into a game I ended up choosing not to have a starting NPR. I ended up just kind of turtling up and getting advanced tech and wiping out the enemies that I found, which was entertaining for a while but ultimately not challenging and a bit boring.

But then either the NPR can generate stuff and cause slowdowns, or they can't and most of the galaxy ends up without stuff generating since they explore so aggressively. One old game I played with an NPR without being able to generate, and then the galaxy was just kind of empty and everything I explored had been already explored by them. But in the game where I set it where NPR can generate other stuff just like me, I ended up with things ballooning out of control with multiple NPRs and huge battles happening where I couldn't see them and the game got super slow. But all of this was a prior version so I don't know what may have improved, so I'm just stuck on decision paralysis wanting to play while not knowing what settings to use haha.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2024, 11:09:10 pm by Paul »
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20193 on: July 17, 2024, 04:50:33 pm »

yeah. I need like a prebuilt ship guide to base other designs off of.

Well, I can try to help a bit here - Let me go into my current game and pull up the V1.0 of my ships:

Colony Ship:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
A cargo ship is the above, but with cargo spaces instead of cryo - I like to use multiples of 50,000 cargo space, which is enough to hold 2 mines each. A military troop carrier is the same, but with troop bays instead, and potentially armor, if you're worried about going in hot against a planet with STO weapons. All commercial ships really only need minimal supplies/deployment time - they can't break down. I usually leave it at the default 3 months.

Exploration Ship:
Note: some people like to split their scanning ships into Geosurvey and Gravsurvey ships - I can't be bothered, I just have the one ship that does everything. My ship also has a jump drive, so it can make its own way through unstable gates.
It's also armed, although honestly the V1.0 version really wouldn't be expected to do much more than die instantly if it runs into something hostile.

Destroyer:
This is a beam design, so it needs to be faster than whatever it runs into. It's also using exclusively lasers, which was somewhat forced on me, due to never getting any missile and kinetics scientists for decades. Oh, and worth noting, I underpowered the fire controls by mistake - you should be aiming to have fire controls going the same speed as the ship (if the weapons are unturreted) or the speed of the turrets (if turreted).

In case you're curious, here's what my exploration ships look like, V11.0, after many years of new technology:
« Last Edit: July 17, 2024, 05:03:25 pm by AlStar »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #20194 on: July 17, 2024, 09:37:18 pm »

@AlStar: You can always take the Zero skill scientists and retrain them into whatever you need.  A 25% reduction of Zero is still Zero, so no loss in skill, and they'll skill up in your preferred skill instead of getting better at what you already have.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20195 on: July 17, 2024, 10:03:38 pm »

@AlStar: You can always take the Zero skill scientists and retrain them into whatever you need.  A 25% reduction of Zero is still Zero, so no loss in skill, and they'll skill up in your preferred skill instead of getting better at what you already have.
True, but after the first decade or so of one not spawning naturally, I decided to make it a RP part of my empire that we were totally bypassing any missiles/gauss/mass drivers.

Lasers are sufficiently multi-functional that I haven't missed it too much, honestly.

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20196 on: July 27, 2024, 09:46:55 pm »

yeah. I need like a prebuilt ship guide to base other designs off of.

Well, I can try to help a bit here - Let me go into my current game and pull up the V1.0 of my ships:

Colony Ship:
A cargo ship is the above, but with cargo spaces instead of cryo - I like to use multiples of 50,000 cargo space, which is enough to hold 2 mines each. A military troop carrier is the same, but with troop bays instead, and potentially armor, if you're worried about going in hot against a planet with STO weapons. All commercial ships really only need minimal supplies/deployment time - they can't break down. I usually leave it at the default 3 months.

Exploration Ship:
Note: some people like to split their scanning ships into Geosurvey and Gravsurvey ships - I can't be bothered, I just have the one ship that does everything. My ship also has a jump drive, so it can make its own way through unstable gates.
It's also armed, although honestly the V1.0 version really wouldn't be expected to do much more than die instantly if it runs into something hostile.

Destroyer:
This is a beam design, so it needs to be faster than whatever it runs into. It's also using exclusively lasers, which was somewhat forced on me, due to never getting any missile and kinetics scientists for decades. Oh, and worth noting, I underpowered the fire controls by mistake - you should be aiming to have fire controls going the same speed as the ship (if the weapons are unturreted) or the speed of the turrets (if turreted).

In case you're curious, here's what my exploration ships look like, V11.0, after many years of new technology:

I did run into a weird issue. There was an event spamming me about an AI alien (cause decided to start with 1 AI in the same solar system). Turns out, I dunno what I'm supposed to do after AI meets me...maybe AI defeated me? Didnt show a defeat screen but did see their ship enter earth lol. But earth looked like still had people and humans...but it kept stopping every 5 seconds so couldn't progress. There was no popups and I clicked every button, but I dunno maybe its buried somewhere.

(edit:

So I switched back to the csharp version. Got the aurora patch+solaris theme, but the bigger point...

while its mostly the same I guess. Civilian ships spawn almost right away. In all my time playing the visual basic version, never once have I ever got civilians to spawn. I have had civilian companies spawn...but no ships what so ever. Which at least for me, the civilian ships add a lot of life to the game. Its a big reason why I like distant worlds so much, and the X4 series of space games

Also I encountered an AI and was able to figure that out too. I did try visual basic a 2nd time, met AI and still couldn't figure out what it wanted me to do.

So I guess for me, I'll probably just stay with the csharp version. It makes a bit more sense to me even if its mostly the same.)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2024, 12:04:14 pm by The_Explorer »

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20197 on: July 28, 2024, 02:15:07 pm »

The VB version has been abandoned since c# came out.

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20198 on: July 28, 2024, 02:19:42 pm »

I uh...thought VB was the new version xD I could have read the thread though I guess...

Well now...uh...I literally hit my hand on my head cause how dumb that was lol

A great lesson on why "learn to read"

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20199 on: July 29, 2024, 04:17:21 am »

:D

About civilian ships: They can spawn when there is a reason for their existence. You need a colony with population on another body.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #20200 on: August 02, 2024, 03:41:39 am »

A small commercial ship can drop some infrastructure and small number of colonists early onto the moon. I did that with a conventional start before TN research the last time I did an aurora game, so it should be pretty easy with a TN start with a commercial shipyard. For a conventional start I think you can cram a conventional cargo and conventional colonist thing on a ship under 10k to tool the first shipyard for but I don't remember to be sure, maybe they have to be single purpose to do it under 10k. With TN you could do the least capacious cargo hold and emergency cryo transport to save space. Maybe I was doing it in an inefficient way, I don't know if total populatioon capacity available factors in or if it's only a colony with population and maybe some amount of open capacity.

What does the starting option that makes all NPRs into conventional empires? Do these conventional NPRs tech up in the way the player empire does once they finish TN research, or are they conventional forever? Is it only starting NPRs or generated as well, or both? It takes a while to do stuff with conventional engines, so in a slow research game I was turning starting NPRs to 0 to keep a TN empire from doing all the things while my fastest ships putter around at 30km/s doing conventional surveys in Sol. If conventional settings aren't permanent for NPRs I might try that checkbox next time.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20201 on: August 02, 2024, 08:40:41 am »

To my knowledge, conventional AIs will never tech up to TN tech.

Same with the single-system AIs - they'll never research gravitational survey technology. (Although Steve has mentioned that he might give them the option to do so after X amount of years.)

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20202 on: August 02, 2024, 01:19:31 pm »

I think it is everyone but the starting AI(s). Iirc it only refers to newly discovered ones.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #20203 on: August 11, 2024, 04:08:19 pm »

A small commercial ship can drop some infrastructure and small number of colonists early onto the moon. I did that with a conventional start before TN research the last time I did an aurora game, so it should be pretty easy with a TN start with a commercial shipyard. For a conventional start I think you can cram a conventional cargo and conventional colonist thing on a ship under 10k to tool the first shipyard for but I don't remember to be sure, maybe they have to be single purpose to do it under 10k. With TN you could do the least capacious cargo hold and emergency cryo transport to save space. Maybe I was doing it in an inefficient way, I don't know if total populatioon capacity available factors in or if it's only a colony with population and maybe some amount of open capacity.

I believe the "trick" was to design single purpose cyro or cargo, but have both designs close enough that you didn't have to retool between them.
You always had to design one first, then the other, but I forget which one.

Oh, and who else remembers Passenger transport? I think even the conventional starts have easy access to cyro, so you no longer need it.  Good times.  :P

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20204 on: August 11, 2024, 10:53:47 pm »

As long as a cargo ship and your colony ship's only difference is the cargo and the cryo then you should be able to make them out of the same yard.  I think you need to tool it for the colony ship.

One of the tabs in the ship designer will let you know what other ships can be made if you tool a yard to that design.
Pages: 1 ... 1345 1346 [1347]