Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1325 1326 [1327] 1328 1329 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2814739 times)

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
  • A disgusting pile of slop.
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #19890 on: May 19, 2020, 05:16:21 pm »

I have 65 scientists. Not a single one specializes in logistics.  :'(

You can change scientist specialties in the commanders screen. I think their bonus in the field of your choice is 1/4 of their current proficiency.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19891 on: May 19, 2020, 06:31:06 pm »

I have 65 scientists. Not a single one specializes in logistics.  :'(

You can change scientist specialties in the commanders screen. I think their bonus in the field of your choice is 1/4 of their current proficiency.

On the plus side, if you get a scientist with 0% research bonus, then you can specialize them however you like so that they're not entirely useless. I had one who started at 0%, specced to Construction/Production, and raised that from doing research to around 50%-60% bonus by the time she retired at the age of 63.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19892 on: May 19, 2020, 08:05:22 pm »

Also, if you assign a scientist who you switched to logistics as an Academy Commandant (needs labs = number of military academies built, I like having two) then you will get more scientists and more of those scientists will be in the logistics field.

Or assign 5 newly made logistics scientists to 1 lab each (they gain experience faster if they are working on something, right?) and just wait.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19893 on: May 20, 2020, 02:52:30 am »

I assigned a scientist to the academy on 1st of January 2025, but I didn't know you could change their speciality.  :o
Thanks!

Edit:
Damn, the research cost of heavier ground units and STO batteries is steep. 10000 points for a strength 12 particle lance STO battery, the super heavy command tank (HQ 50000) had a similar price tag. At least regular combat units are a lot cheaper, but I guess I won't just at the next armor upgrade to the batteries or command tanks.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 05:53:36 am by Rince Wind »

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19894 on: May 22, 2020, 01:58:40 am »

Who builds colonies on low gravity locations? As far as I can tell, they don't have atmosphere retention so terraforming is not happening, meaning you will eternally have to rely on LG infrastructure. The only use I can think of is a small colony for a listening post, but I can see myself sooner making a space station and tugging it there for the same purpose and less chance of being discovered.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19895 on: May 22, 2020, 05:00:17 am »

Don't tracking stations work without crew anyway?

I have a colony on Oberon and it seems to keep the atmosphere. You'll always need some LG infrastructure, but 150 instead of 450 is a lot easier to get there and it is cheaper obviously.

I engaged some precursors, the 1st system wasn't even a challenge against 4 ships. The second seems to have a amm station with very deep ammo bins among its 6 ships. Haven't managed to close yet, salvos of 100 missiles get destroyed, mostly by pd fire and I have withdrawn to resupply because my crews damaged a lot of weapons during the defence.
The problem is that they won't take the supplies from my supply ships. They are flagged as supply in the design window and the fleet dialogue is there. But no matter if I tell the supply to join and resupply or if I tell my fleet to resupply from own ships while they are in fleet, they won't take on new supplies.
The 5 supply ships have 6k supplies each and they are full reaming and refuelling did work.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #19896 on: May 22, 2020, 07:24:27 am »

Who builds colonies on low gravity locations? As far as I can tell, they don't have atmosphere retention so terraforming is not happening, meaning you will eternally have to rely on LG infrastructure. The only use I can think of is a small colony for a listening post, but I can see myself sooner making a space station and tugging it there for the same purpose and less chance of being discovered.

Dunno if it depends on size, so that some of the fringe LG colonies can retain atmosphere.
You could also eternally rely upon terraforming instead I guess...

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19897 on: May 22, 2020, 07:36:05 am »

Managed to resupply the fleet after turning tanker and collier off and having them in fleet while travelling for a bit.
The defence station had more than 3500 AMMs, all but three were used up when I boarded it.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19898 on: May 22, 2020, 07:39:41 am »

Managed to resupply the fleet after turning tanker and collier off and having them in fleet while travelling for a bit.
The defence station had more than 3500 AMMs, all but three were used up when I boarded it.

Eh, they're usually un-optimized garbage anyways.  You're better off without them.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19899 on: May 22, 2020, 09:30:01 am »

They are still 20kkm/sec faster than my own. And good thing I pressed the attack with my damaged ships, even though it cost me 2 of them (the second because the fleet proceeded to 0 at the planet despite orders to keep 140kkm away. I should have used the enemies for the movement order I guess). There were another 11500 AMMs on the planet.

I also lost some boarders because I was stupid and boarded ships that were in range of each other. When picking up the life pods I rescued negative people. :D

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19900 on: May 25, 2020, 10:29:23 pm »

It sucks that beam fire controls are locked at 4x the size. It seems that Steve couldn't come up with a mechanic so projectiles could travel more than the 5 second increment, which resulted in beam weapons all eventually becoming the same range, and lasers are especially crippled by not being able to make full use of their range.

There goes my "poke everything with lasers from far away" army design I was going for. Now I see why missiles and kinetic weapons are so popular.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19901 on: May 26, 2020, 01:01:06 am »

It's a conscious choice that beams are limited to 5 seconds distance. He could have just routed beams through the missiles code, but then you have the insanity of laser shots tracking and following a target.

It's not perfect, but its the way Steve has chosen to build the game.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19902 on: May 26, 2020, 02:09:19 pm »

It sucks that beam fire controls are locked at 4x the size. It seems that Steve couldn't come up with a mechanic so projectiles could travel more than the 5 second increment, which resulted in beam weapons all eventually becoming the same range, and lasers are especially crippled by not being able to make full use of their range.

There goes my "poke everything with lasers from far away" army design I was going for. Now I see why missiles and kinetic weapons are so popular.

Huh? I'm having issues wrapping my head around this.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19903 on: May 26, 2020, 02:16:58 pm »

Max range for any beam weapon (anything not a missile) is the distance light travels in 5 seconds.  Smallest time increment is 5 seconds.

To allow beam weapons to reach further either speed of light needs to be ignored or the weapons attack needs to stay on the board until it hits/misses/hits it's new max range.

Steve would rather just cap them at the current range than figure out how to make it work at longer range.  He's talked about working on it, but he has other priorities.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19904 on: May 26, 2020, 06:54:02 pm »

Thanks for the explanation.

I guess the technobabble reasons to justify would be that beam weapons lose consistency after 5 seconds and that ballistic weapons lose reliable trajectory after traveling in space for more than 5 seconds.  While the beam stuff makes sense (it reminds me of the Original Star Trek episode "Balance of Terror", although that beam traveled for more than 5 seconds), ballistics don't generally disappear.  Of course, maybe ballistics in Aurora aren't strong enough to penetrate ship hulls, so they all have timed fuses with 5 second timers.

Frankly, I can forgive the weapon attack shortcomings if Steve keeps improving terraforming.  I think it is among the best games currently in regards to representing terraforming.
Pages: 1 ... 1325 1326 [1327] 1328 1329 ... 1347