Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1324 1325 [1326] 1327 1328 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2814692 times)

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #19875 on: May 15, 2020, 11:17:20 am »

At home with maintenance facilities.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19876 on: May 15, 2020, 12:19:25 pm »

Imagine how great a schematic of these ship designs would be, like I'm seeing over at the Rule the Waves LP. That's an idea for a mod, especially since it wouldn't need to modify the database, either, just read game data to provide a visual guide.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19877 on: May 15, 2020, 04:17:45 pm »

All the code boxes for the ship designs are super narrow for me. Like two lines word of text narrow. How do i fix this?

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19878 on: May 16, 2020, 02:16:14 am »

I think [.spoiler] and [.code] don't like each other.

Code: [Select]
Agamemnon class Fuel Harvester      59 288 tons       284 Crew       1 063.4 BP       TCS 1 186    TH 1 250    EM 0
1054 km/s      Armour 1-135       Shields 0-0       HTK 132      Sensors 8/8/0/0      DCR 1      PPV 0
MSP 11    Max Repair 50 MSP
Korvettenkapitan    Control Rating 1   BRG   
Intended Deployment Time: 3 months   
Fuel Harvester: 15 modules producing 960 000 litres per annum

Hammare Drive Systems Commercial Ion Drive  EP250.00 (5)    Power 1250    Fuel Use 2.72%    Signature 250    Explosion 4%
Fuel Capacity 7 500 000 Litres    Range 838.5 billion km (9207 days at full power)

Edit: Yeah, it seems to work without spoilers.
Refuelling Capability: 100 000 litres per hour     Complete Refuel 75 hours

Jansson Sensor Systems EM Sensor EM1.0-8.0 (1)     Sensitivity 8     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  22.4m km
Öberg Electronics Thermal Sensor TH1.0-8.0 (1)     Sensitivity 8     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  22.4m km

Edit:
I am trying something new (for me): A carrier with 4 exploration parasites. I like the concept of the expensive jump ship staying at the jump point and sending out small craft, in this case 500t "fighters" to do the exploring. But it seems it is a micromanagement hell, because there is no way to retain the standing orders for the fighters. I have to detach them each time and then set the orders again. Am I missing something?

Also, is there a way to add new commander names? I know I can add themes that can be used for ships, systems and so on.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 10:51:42 am by Rince Wind »

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19879 on: May 17, 2020, 04:27:34 pm »

that said, how's the new diplomacy? can you get something silly like a current year earth with the 5 major forces as prewarp empire fighting for the moon?

That has been in for ages.  That was the last improvement before C#

Well I know what I'm doing when I inevitably give up on on my "no minerals on luna or mars and next habitable planet is 4 jumps away" run.

I was promised early earth war. How do I do this?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19880 on: May 17, 2020, 07:06:09 pm »

Just designed my 1st navy in Aurora C#.

Any glaring oversights to see?
There will be tankers.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It just seems like a lot of tonnage for the bang, I know I used to have smaller ships, even at this techlevel.

1. At your apparent TL, shields are going to eat up a lot of tonnage for not much benefit. Unless I'm misremembering they also burn a lot of fuel, which will hurt the already bad fuel economy ships have had since the drive update.

2. Box launchers as your primary/only armament on your missile carriers is a bad idea if those carriers aren't strike craft, FACs, or monitors operating out of a colony. You will have no way to rearm those in the field. There's nothing wrong with using a complement of box launchers to give your ships a bigger salvo or two when they need to punch through a good PD network, but not having any standard launchers at all will give you grief.

3. Most of the ships don't actually have that much MSP, even though their maintenance life isn't awful. If you take damage to key components it's good odds you won't be able to make many repairs. This can still be workable, but you'll need to make sure that the logistics element of whatever fleet you deploy them with has a service vessel carrying lots of supplies.

4. Personally I'd go for a heavier weight of energy/ballistic PD and fewer AMMs, especially at lower TLs. If that's the flavor you want, it's fine, just so long as you're aware that AMMs are drastically inefficient and kill a fleet's ability to operate in combat for long periods of time.

5. Armor's looking pretty thin. Look at it this way: a single one of your ASMs would blow straight through any of your ships and do internal damage. Even your PD lasers would make short work of them. It's usually a good idea to make sure your ships could take a couple hits from their own weapons unless your tech is drastically unbalanced.

6. Your missile boats don't have their own active sensor. If your command ship goes down (which is likely, since the AI likes to shoot at active sensors), they're going to be blind. Having a dedicated sensor ship is pretty standard, but usually the idea is that you plonk a big system-wide (or as close as you can manage) AS inside it and still give your combat ships AS modules tuned to their respective combat ranges. You can also make two variants, one a command variant with the sensor and the second a standard variant with a few more launchers/turrets. Also, although R100 isn't as myopic as it used to be thanks to ships being larger all around, it's still going to eat into your effective engagement range even further.

7. Yeah, ships are going to trend bigger because several updates over the years have killed a lot of the things that made sub-10k ships viable at TL3-6. The main thing is the drive rework, since that completely murdered the power-to-weight ratio/fuel economy. Bigger drives with more fuel meant that ships got larger, slower, and more expensive, so you couldn't justify making them totally disposable like you used to with those little 4-8k ton buggers; that meant more armor, more PD weapons, and in turn larger JDs, and then more maintenance space and crew space to support all that. Now it's damn near impossible to make a ship under 10k tons at anything below high tech that doesn't totally sacrifice key elements of performance.

How did you learn this game without a tutoriel,btw ?

Spent a few weeks poking at everything to see what it did and starting new games.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 07:28:02 pm by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19881 on: May 17, 2020, 07:39:23 pm »

Shields at low TL are fine.  They don't use fuel, and are much improved over VB6.

I also rarely go thicker than 6 layers of armor at low TL anyway.  Just not worth it when speed is more important.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19882 on: May 18, 2020, 08:34:06 am »

Shields at low TL are fine.  They don't use fuel, and are much improved over VB6.

I also rarely go thicker than 6 layers of armor at low TL anyway.  Just not worth it when speed is more important.
Ah, good to hear. I was always annoyed by how useless they were in VB6, hadn't had a chance to test them in C# yet.

IMO 6-7 is the bare minimum for proper combat ships at TL4ish. You're not going to be fast enough to reliably catch/outrun most serious threats, so you gotta be able to take a few hits.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19883 on: May 18, 2020, 09:01:32 am »

Getting missiles from tenders to combat ships is a lot more involved as well now. Tenders need a 500t module to transfer missiles. And they can only transfer to 1 ship at a time, and only 40 MSP per hour at the lowest tech level. If you want to reload multiple ships at once ... well, you need a 100.000t module. Same for tankers, but then refueling isn't time sensitive most of the time, so it usually doesn't matter if it takes half a day to refuel the fleet.
So when I decided not to use tenders I decided to go all out on box launchers. With 6 launchers and regular magazines it would have been 120 instead of 100 missiles, and that tradeoff seemed worth it.

Yeah, armor was a bit thin, but I decided to risk it.

Startet a new game since.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19884 on: May 18, 2020, 04:55:26 pm »

Sure you can't just slap on two 500t modules to restock 2 at once?

Also, I just made a new jumpship and could have sworn that military jump drives worked with commercial engines, but I'm being told the drive isn't suitable for commercial engines.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #19885 on: May 18, 2020, 05:08:14 pm »

Sure you can't just slap on two 500t modules to restock 2 at once?

Also, I just made a new jumpship and could have sworn that military jump drives worked with commercial engines, but I'm being told the drive isn't suitable for commercial engines.

Jump drive have to match the engine type. This is a change from VB Aurora's behavior (which Steve has said somewhere was unintended, IIRC).

No matter how many ordnance modules you have, you can only resupply one ship at at time.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19886 on: May 19, 2020, 03:16:14 pm »

I spent all this time researching genetic engineering stuff and genetic engineering isn't implemented yet.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19887 on: May 19, 2020, 04:31:38 pm »

Are you sure? You need to research a new and improved human/spacebug (Create Research Project: Create Species) and then use genetic modification centers to improve the base humans/spacebugs into their new, better selfs.

I have 65 scientists. Not a single one specializes in logistics.  :'(

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19888 on: May 19, 2020, 04:37:00 pm »

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19889 on: May 19, 2020, 04:51:57 pm »

Ah, damn, I only read this post so I assumed it was in.
Pages: 1 ... 1324 1325 [1326] 1327 1328 ... 1347