Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1250 1251 [1252] 1253 1254 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2811787 times)

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #18765 on: September 22, 2017, 02:16:24 pm »

Thanks! Research is so slow... Making more labs for it but still. 15cm railguns are almost done, shipyard is too, gonna work on engines next. Still need to add a fuel refinery. Where can I see how much space is left on my planet? For buildings etc.
You should always be building more labs, it'll pay off in the long run.

And there's no limit to space for buildings, but you should keep an eye on how many free workers are available; that's your only limitations.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18766 on: September 22, 2017, 02:16:33 pm »

Infinite planetary space, Stagnant.

Make sure you're properly using researcher bonuses, and don't get TOO focused on building more labs---they take forever and consume valuable materials and construction time. Expand your mines, get automated mines on other planets in Sol, and build more construction factories. Once you've gotten a larger industrial base, THEN you can consider making some RLs.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18767 on: September 22, 2017, 02:20:27 pm »

I aim to get to 50 RLs on my home world, along with enough wealth generation to afford it.  After that I aim for 100 across 2-3 worlds.

Early game is slow.  Especially for peoples first games where they don't use fast OOB and stick to the techpoints given.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18768 on: September 22, 2017, 02:26:35 pm »

That's another way, I suppose.

I always try to get surveying going, as well as expanding my mining and such.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18769 on: September 22, 2017, 02:44:52 pm »

Awesome, was thinking it might be x number of space for buildings etc. Over 7mil workers atm, should be good. Researching ion engines, gonna get my first surveyor out there soon! Are mass drivers for launching small ships, troops off the ground, or chunks of space ships?
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #18770 on: September 22, 2017, 02:47:38 pm »

None of the above.

Mass drivers are a means of intrasystem mineral transport. Put mines and a mass driver on one body, and a mass driver on another, and play catch.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
  • A disgusting pile of slop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18771 on: September 22, 2017, 02:49:45 pm »

Are mass drivers for launching small ships, troops off the ground, or chunks of space ships?

Edit: Ninja'd.

Mass drivers are used to send and receive mineral packets between planets. If you have a planet send its mined minerals to a planet that doesn't have a mass driver, then you'll cause massive damage to the planet's population and buildings. A mass driver can receive an infinite amount of minerals, but can only send 5000 total tons of minerals annually.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 02:52:58 pm by coleslaw35 »

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18772 on: September 22, 2017, 03:04:30 pm »

Oh. Okay so I don't need to rush it yet. Once I'm on Luna I'll need it though.

How much stuff do I have to research to get a ship off the ground? This is taking a while.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 04:02:05 pm by StagnantSoul »
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18773 on: September 22, 2017, 05:21:03 pm »

Oh. Okay so I don't need to rush it yet. Once I'm on Luna I'll need it though.

How much stuff do I have to research to get a ship off the ground? This is taking a while.
For an proper naval ship; you'll need sensors, both passive and active, good engines, powerplants if you decide to go beam weapons, the actual weapon systems, and shielding is always nice. Or you could build a really small Corvette; small crew, 1 really small weapon platform, 1 engine, no defenses. It'd basically be a fighter.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18774 on: September 22, 2017, 05:37:24 pm »

I'll definitely be picking up shielding. The less repairs we have to do between battles the better. Also noticed that I can split the workforce between multiple constructions at once, this speeds things up a lot. Are the comets coming through ever a threat, like oh no a comets going to hit Earth? Or just something to mine.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18775 on: September 22, 2017, 05:40:36 pm »

I aim to get to 50 RLs on my home world, along with enough wealth generation to afford it.  After that I aim for 100 across 2-3 worlds.

Early game is slow.  Especially for peoples first games where they don't use fast OOB and stick to the techpoints given.

Don't. The only reason to ever distribute labs is if you get an anomaly with a research bonus.

Keep in mind that the fast OOB has its own point allocation based on your starting parameters, same as with the starting RP. That's perfectly acceptable to spend on starter ships without being SM "cheating".

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18776 on: September 22, 2017, 05:43:59 pm »

Comets are not threatening but have above average minerals on them, if you are into the whole asteroid mining thing.

For non military ships you only need to research the engine, everything else should be there in a trans newtonic start. At least the things you need in the beginning.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18777 on: September 22, 2017, 05:51:28 pm »

Comets are not threatening but have above average minerals on them, if you are into the whole asteroid mining thing.
For me, I found that since comets can fly crazy far out of the system, it's not efficient to mine from them; just lets civilian corps setup mining colonies on good sites.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18778 on: September 22, 2017, 05:52:09 pm »

Engine research done, time to get out there. This game is fun already and I've done nothing.  :P

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18779 on: September 22, 2017, 05:57:15 pm »

Did you design an engine already? Just because you researched ion engines doesn't mean you can use them right away. Unless you are a civilian shipping company that is, I think those can do that.
Pages: 1 ... 1250 1251 [1252] 1253 1254 ... 1347