Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1251 1252 [1253] 1254 1255 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2811782 times)

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #18780 on: September 22, 2017, 06:07:12 pm »

Did you design an engine already? Just because you researched ion engines doesn't mean you can use them right away. Unless you are a civilian shipping company that is, I think those can do that.

Ah, just got into that... Is 144 ep good for just civilian stuff?
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18781 on: September 22, 2017, 06:26:26 pm »

Look at the last page.

It needs to be classified as civilian, which means minimum size 25 and maximum power 50%. Otherwise your ship will be classified as military, and you don't want that, trust me.

You can always just slap on more engines if you want more speed. Quick transport ships can be really useful, but your first ones won't be that fast anyway.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18782 on: September 22, 2017, 06:36:39 pm »

Aight, thanks. Last time I'll be asking for advice, pretty sure I have it down now. Just did a bunch of designs, think I have an idea for my first destroyer and cruiser designs. Once they're done I'll post them here.
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18783 on: September 22, 2017, 08:18:49 pm »

For non military ships you only need to research the engine, everything else should be there in a trans newtonic start. At least the things you need in the beginning.
It is pretty minor, but I believe that all ships have at least one layer of armour, and that armour advancements reduce mass. So better armour can improve fuel efficiency and such by producing lighter ships, even civilian ones.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18784 on: September 22, 2017, 11:28:16 pm »

In a little bit I'll upload my two designs, a cruiser and a destroyer, hope they're good! First military designs I have, took a while due to having to restart every time I tried to jump the game a year at once and do it in chunks.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18785 on: September 22, 2017, 11:29:50 pm »

What do you mean, year-long jump? It's not been THAT long since I last played Aurora---the longest increments are 30 days (Aurora years have exactly 360 days. Those pesky extras got executed for the sake of Glorious Round Numbers, because they made things confusing)
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18786 on: September 22, 2017, 11:42:51 pm »

December 25th, 2034, next research finishes a year later so I say at least 12 30 day jumps and bam, year later.

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18787 on: September 26, 2017, 01:08:40 pm »

Which techlevel are you at? The combination of very quick ships and small lasers seems weird.

My ships usually devote 25 to 40% of their mass to the current best engine tech without a boost. 12 months of deployment time (though they could do with less usually), at least 5 layers of armor.
All line ships have the same percentage of engines, so they go at the and speed.
The big guns get tracking speed as needed, usually 2x, and Max range while PD gets 4x tracking and 1x range. Only pd is turreted.

I'm at mag fusion engines, but it's hard to say I'm really at any given tech level since my research has been pretty specialized.
The reason for the small lasers is so that I can achieve a 5 second refire time with my current capacitor tech. They're going to be an important part of my pd envelope.

The reason for the super fast ships is that I once again have decided to play without using missiles.  That means I need a way to close on missile ships, and the faster the better.  A nice side effect is there's no need to turret my weapons as my ships are the same speed as my highest tracking bonus fire control.

(Theoretical case as this game hasn't been gotten by me yet)

1:Which planet is closer to the aliens? Move the shipyard to that, and use a slow amount of civilian ships to get to the aliens for trade faster till it evens out to what it was on earth, then use the remains to trickle resources from earth to Mars till Mars is able to survive on its own.

2: Why not have your fleet, instead of being a large unarmed carrier with sub ships, be a larger battleship with some tiny corvettes running sensor duty and a medium sized tug running fuel etc duty, with a few destroyers to back up the battleship?

1. I believe you hit on something there, I would probably at least speed up those traders a bit if I put a spaceport on the planet they're loading trade goods to and from for the aliens.  I think you might have misunderstood though, I'm talking about trade goods here, so the issue isn't a problem of resource distribution, but one of all my civilian freighters prioritizing trading with aliens over lucrative government contracts.

2. The reason for the fleet composition is:
a. Range: I need these ships to be able to get anywhere in my territory, preferably without having to send a million ships to refuel them along the way. Also, I don't want these military maneuvers to take a huge toll on my fuel supply (This was a big problem in my last game).  So all my travelling between systems will be done by the huge carriers with ultra efficient engines.

b. Speed: I need my fighting ships to be able to close on missile launching enemies, the faster the better.  This means:

c. Efficiency of design: To achieve the high speed and good weapon loadout, I need these ships to be very tonnage efficient.  The fact that they spend all their time in carriers means I offload most of the fuel storage, maintenance supplies and engineering spaces, and crew quarters to the carriers, freeing up that tonnage on the fighting ships.  The fact that they're so fast means I save the tonnage I would have spent on turrets as well.

In my last game, I had a more typical arrangement, with big 3000 km/s battleships, with some small carriers carrying fighters.  The problem was the battleships didn't get to do much battling, as the enemy ships would just keep backing out of range and firing missiles.  If I wanted to engage, I had to launch my speedy fighters.  Now all the missiles are fired at my fighters, so the PD on the battleship and carriers is doing nothing to protect the fighters.  In the end, my strategy boiled down to weathering the missile assault until they ran out, although the fighters still worked well to chase down defenseless ships.

I admit, my bizzare decision to not use missiles means I have a different strategic situation than most.  I have to build for the reality that most enemies will brutally outrange me, and I will have to weather continuous missile fire until I can close and destroy them.  My lasers should be able to keep me just far enough away that my PD will still have a chance to engage missiles fired at close range (this was another problem from my last game, I used carronades and gauss, which do not keep you far away enough).

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18788 on: September 26, 2017, 03:45:35 pm »

Rip, my computer really doesn't like Aurora. It's a spazzy, non-respondic, epilepsy inducing flashy thing whenever I try to play. Reinstalled after uninstalling and same thing.  :'(

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18789 on: September 26, 2017, 03:52:18 pm »

Damiac: I usually use mostly lasers as well. I try to take out AMM Ships with missiles if I can identify them, though.
I am one for specialization though, so I prefer to have PD ships that can support when close and destroyers or cruisers with more punch for bigger holes and more range.
Also I just love spinal lasers even if they are inefficient and only shoot once in 50sec or whatever. :D

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18790 on: September 26, 2017, 03:55:09 pm »

Stagnant, Aurora will usually go non-responsive as it processes turns, is this your issue? If so, that's just normal operating procedure, I'm afraid.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18791 on: September 26, 2017, 05:39:45 pm »

Stagnant, Aurora will usually go non-responsive as it processes turns, is this your issue? If so, that's just normal operating procedure, I'm afraid.

No I mean when I open the map to start playing it starts doing that and never stops, even if given multiple hours. It all started when I said 30 minimum 30 day skips, for the memes.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #18792 on: September 28, 2017, 02:22:47 am »

...I like that idea, actually. Hell, I think I'll take the short-range challenge! IMO, missiles (for humans, at least) should be minimalistic. High-yield short-range, or low-yield mid-range. I artificially cap my missile use and strength for realism. Okay, maybe the ultra-advanced cybernetic aliens can missile-rape me from a billion miles away, but we're Human and we lack the cognitive and technological ability to effectively do so. On a slow-moving target or planet, sure. On a fast-moving warship in mid-travel? Nah.
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #18793 on: September 28, 2017, 02:24:19 am »

...And with that, you bastards have roped me into re-downloading this game on the... 5th or 6th new pc now? Every time my pc dies and I shift to new games an abandon the old (mostly out of laziness of re-installation or porting over data, tbh) y'all get me to start Aurora all over again.

Damn you! *shakes fist while watching the download progress bar*
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18794 on: September 28, 2017, 09:52:57 am »

Hah, I'm glad I roped you in.  I enjoy the short range play because it makes your warship design so much more critical.  You have to know you're going to be under heavy fire long before you can return it, and it makes fleet positioning so much more important, since if you can get an enemy in a pincer you know you'll spend that much less time chasing and getting shot with missiles.

Also, not having to deal with the logistics of missiles is nice. 

I feel that missiles take so much challenge out of the war aspect of the game.  It's not hard to design fancy mirvs that annihilate whole enemy fleets in a couple of salvos.  Plus size 1 missiles are disproportionately powerful, although the NPRs do take advantage of that sometimes.
Pages: 1 ... 1251 1252 [1253] 1254 1255 ... 1347