Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1196 1197 [1198] 1199 1200 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2810237 times)

Dramegno

• Bay Watcher
  • Gobo the other white meat
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #17955 on: March 14, 2016, 09:07:50 pm »

Alright what I think I might do is cut my AMM range down to about 5m km, Create some decent size 6 ASM and then a size 1 thrust stage equipped with 5 of my AMMs for use as either farther pd / deplete enemy AMM's / tenderize enemy steak ... I meant ships, yes ships is what I meant.  Would that be a valid strategy?
So, it's AnimaRytak, mighty Void God, versus the greatest cluster[FOWL] my incompetence can engineer.

I will be so god damn proud if AMBASSADOR bites your head off.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #17956 on: March 14, 2016, 09:21:46 pm »

For that, I'd actually design a different missile with even less range, putting the fuel into either agility (to boost hit rate) or warhead (to do more damage). Or you could design a different engine for better speed, etc. Since you're using a boost stage, the range on the missile itself is less important, and even in the secondary antiship role (which you'd probably want more than a size 1 booster for, you'd want the same effective range and speed as your normal shipkillers so you can mix it in) as long as it releases before the enemy AMMs hit you're fine.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17957 on: March 15, 2016, 05:13:01 am »

Hypothetically, or in this particular example?  In a general case, agility boosts your missile's ability to hit anything on the scale of the broad side of a barn or smaller.  Depending on how fast your missile is moving already, it may be easier to adjust this than your velocity.  The thing to really be careful for, though, is to make sure the accuracy penalty from the extra mass doesn't counterbalance the accuracy gain from the extra agility. 

In this particular example?  Because I didn't reset it to zero while playing around with the Previous Designs dropdown to see if I already had a multistage missile designed on this game. ^_^

Yes, I meant this design, it seemed a bit weird to waste agility on a 1st stage.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17958 on: March 15, 2016, 08:29:32 pm »

Scanned about half of the solar system, mars has no materials, but Luna has this:'

Luna
Boronide 219,952  Acc: 0.6
Mercassium 557,875  Acc: 0.2
Uridium 2,179,905  Acc: 0.8
Gallicite 2,838,854  Acc: 0.5

Is that a good place to put a colony? or is the mineral amount not worth it?
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17959 on: March 15, 2016, 09:09:14 pm »

What exactly does cargo handling multiplier do? Where can I see the exact time it would take to load stuff on a certain ship?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found it, but you have to have reduced height windows off... ugh...

DOUBLE EDIT: More questions. Do mass drivers need people to operate them?
Why can a shipyard tooled for my colony ship also make my cargo ship, but not the other way around?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 10:31:10 pm by origamiscienceguy »
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17960 on: March 15, 2016, 11:54:31 pm »

Look at the last post, how accurate it is i dont know but i believe it to be accurate and still on date. http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=7661.0
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #17961 on: March 16, 2016, 12:05:18 am »

What exactly does cargo handling multiplier do? Where can I see the exact time it would take to load stuff on a certain ship?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found it, but you have to have reduced height windows off... ugh...

DOUBLE EDIT: More questions. Do mass drivers need people to operate them?
Why can a shipyard tooled for my colony ship also make my cargo ship, but not the other way around?
Cargo handling multiplier speeds up loading and unloading, which could potentially take days or weeks otherwise.

Mass drivers do need people, I think. Double check the wiki/your game once one is built.
Shipyard rolling things are about which one can be refit to the other for a small enough relative cost. Colony ships just need their cryo pods gutted, and the bays are suddenly cargo holds. Other way around is a bit more expensive.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17962 on: March 16, 2016, 01:07:51 am »

I believe mass drivers are automated, so that you can utilize automines with them.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #17963 on: March 16, 2016, 03:16:39 am »

Basically, a shipyard tooled for class A can also produce class B if the cost of refitting a ship of class A to class B is less than 20% of the cost of building class A. Cryopods are expensive and cargo holds are cheap, so retooling a colonizer to a cargo ship is doable.

This lead to a neat exploit where you can create a design which is basically a freighter filled with nothing but geosensors. Sensors are (per weigh) so expensive that you can then build most civilian design from that shipyard.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17964 on: March 16, 2016, 03:36:29 am »

Mass drivers didn't need a population the last time that I checked. You only need automated mines and a mass driver to mine some random comet for all eternity with precisely zero care given to where it is or where it is going.

Cargo handling, as I understand it, basically adds to the multiplier(I believe that 5 from one source and 10 from another means that you load at 15 times the rate) of how fast stuff gets loaded. I think spaceports do the same thing? Whatever, basically, a freighter comes to some random rock, and it has cargo handling 20, then it will load twenty times faster. It is very very very nice to spend half a day instead of a week... You may be able to get away with no handling on a design that only ships between well-developed colonies, but basically, a single handling module may work for your early freighters, but you will want more in due course, and having no handling is pretty much always bad.
 Cargo handling also applies to ground forces?
 If the time taken to load or unload stuff doesn't matter to you then cargo handling does nothing else...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #17965 on: March 16, 2016, 10:34:42 am »

Basically, a shipyard tooled for class A can also produce class B if the cost of refitting a ship of class A to class B is less than 20% of the cost of building class A. Cryopods are expensive and cargo holds are cheap, so retooling a colonizer to a cargo ship is doable.

This lead to a neat exploit where you can create a design which is basically a freighter filled with nothing but geosensors. Sensors are (per weigh) so expensive that you can then build most civilian design from that shipyard.
To further this, it's also entirely reasonable and useful to create hybrid designs that you would ordinarily never build that enable you to build multiple different types of ship in a shipyard when assigned as the type the shipyard is tooled for.

For example, I usually use separate grav and geo survey vessels that are otherwise identical, but due to the cost of the grav/geo sensor you wouldn't be able to refit from one to the other within the 20% window. However creating a hybrid design that has both sensors but is otherwise the same as either individual class enables both designs to be produced from a single military shipyard.

The ship full of nothing but geosensors is the extreme of this approach but gets into being an exploit.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17966 on: March 16, 2016, 02:20:23 pm »

Why can't my cargo ships pick up 259 infrastructure from earth? I have a task group of 3 cargo ships and told them to pick up 259 infrastructure from earth, and drop it off on luna, but they won't do it.

Also, one of my civilians made a starliner. Where do I go to find information on the ship and what it is made of and what it does?

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17967 on: March 16, 2016, 04:55:40 pm »

Why can't my cargo ships pick up 259 infrastructure from earth? I have a task group of 3 cargo ships and told them to pick up 259 infrastructure from earth, and drop it off on luna, but they won't do it.

Also, one of my civilians made a starliner. Where do I go to find information on the ship and what it is made of and what it does?

Just tell them to pick up infrastructure and drop it, then refuel (ok, not really necessary for Luna), then tick "repeat orders".
If you say "load 259 infrastructure" they will try to load 259 infrastructure, obviously. But you'd need a pretty big ship to hold that much, I think a standard cargo hold can fit 10.

Starliners are kinda useless for you. They will ferry around tourists. Well, technically colonists, but for a higher fare and only very few of them at a time. Think of them as luxury passenger liners.
You can see them in the fast order of battle creation. You could choose a civilan design to build there.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17968 on: March 16, 2016, 06:39:00 pm »

Nope, they still won't load it. Just as an experiment, I tried to load 1 infrastructure from earth and did a 5 second tun, but it still gave me the error message saying they can't load it.

Earth has infrastructure on it and the ships have a cargo hold.

The only reason I can think this is is because the ships already have something loaded. How do I check that?

EDIT: FOUND IT! The ships already had infrastructure onboard. So I just have to reverse the orders.

Dramegno

• Bay Watcher
  • Gobo the other white meat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17969 on: March 17, 2016, 04:11:11 am »

Is their a compiled list of the max values for things like armor and maintenance supplies?
So, it's AnimaRytak, mighty Void God, versus the greatest cluster[FOWL] my incompetence can engineer.

I will be so god damn proud if AMBASSADOR bites your head off.
Pages: 1 ... 1196 1197 [1198] 1199 1200 ... 1347