Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1195 1196 [1197] 1198 1199 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2810142 times)

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #17940 on: March 14, 2016, 03:10:59 am »

I'll never forget the time that ECM forced my two destroyers + sensor/jump ship into enemy missile range, when I could have easily annihilated the enemy fleet from much further away.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17941 on: March 14, 2016, 05:40:24 am »

You could just take the missle design and the meat around it out of the game, give it a graphical interface and make good money on steam from just that.

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17942 on: March 14, 2016, 06:28:10 am »

@ Dramegno: The 30k missile looks good to me, for your given tech.

Personally, I favour engine concept over fuel efficiency/multiplier tech because of how badly higher mulipliers impact fuel use.
Magneto-Plasma, 0.8 Fuel Efficiency, 2.0 Power is only 5k RP more expensive (EDIT: "useless" reactor tech included.) than what you have, and would allow engines that are 7% more powerful with 31% better fuel efficiency (EDIT 2: meaning the 5000k missing RP could be diverted from the Fuel Production line and you'd be strictly better off).

With that tech, you could get 32000km/s AMMs with a  67.2% to hit a 10000km/s target at 9.1m km range (or 64% at 15.2m km).
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 06:49:30 am by Alastar »

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17943 on: March 14, 2016, 09:30:43 am »

I build ASM with 30 million range and 80,000 km/s or so, but I do have antimatter drives.

My ship missiles are all size 3 ( except my size 100 'Gilgamesh' experimentals) because all my missile ships have s3 missiles, and I want backwards compatibility on all vessels, so all new vessels have s3 launchers.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17944 on: March 14, 2016, 02:55:51 pm »

I find four is generally the ideal mixture of damage and number of missiles you can jam into a magazine.

At low TLs though I will go above that, because 2 damage 4000km/s missiles kinda suck.  (generally speaking anyways, there was this one alien race that had 6000km/s 'gazelle' missiles (i remember them in tense horror) that had extremely high agility and had upwards of 100% hit rates against even my fastest ships (we were both at the nuclear pulse level))
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17945 on: March 14, 2016, 03:35:25 pm »

For me, it depends on details.

Large missiles work much better when you overwhelm enemy point defence by number of salvos rather than number of missiles. For example when deployed from scores of tiny torpedo bombers carrying a single missile each. Usually size 6-12 for these.

For full-size launchers, I rarely go above size 4 unless they're doing something tricky with lots of weight overhead (sensors, multi-stage designs).

Box launchers come in all sizes. From size 1 dual-purpose missiles to gigantic mines/sensor buoys/1-hit-shipkillers-with-inbuilt-chaff.

Dramegno

• Bay Watcher
  • Gobo the other white meat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17946 on: March 14, 2016, 03:57:38 pm »

I will probably just we make my launchers and magazines with the new tech I have researched and work up to the next level of engine tech and other missile tech while setting my pd destroyer to use a missile family so I can just keep on designing missiles then what ever one I end up with gets loaded in since here soon my colonies are going to be wanted to be defended for some reason.

I remember reading somewhere that you could do MIRVs in Aurora is that still a thing or did it go the way of the torpedo?
So, it's AnimaRytak, mighty Void God, versus the greatest cluster[FOWL] my incompetence can engineer.

I will be so god damn proud if AMBASSADOR bites your head off.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17947 on: March 14, 2016, 04:14:28 pm »

I will probably just we make my launchers and magazines with the new tech I have researched and work up to the next level of engine tech and other missile tech while setting my pd destroyer to use a missile family so I can just keep on designing missiles then what ever one I end up with gets loaded in since here soon my colonies are going to be wanted to be defended for some reason.

I remember reading somewhere that you could do MIRVs in Aurora is that still a thing or did it go the way of the torpedo?
Mirvs are basicly mutlistage missiles, you design a big-crazybig-huge missiles, then add a multi-stage option middle of the windows, choose the payload ( previously designed missile ), set a separation stage and there you go.

Good warhead is massive speed/payload, barely any fuel at all since they only have to travel a very very small distance compared to the mother-missile, i prefer launching the warhead as far as possible to saturate enemy point defense and go sand paper approach, i prefer very fast, small payload, high number to make them waste anti-missile and garantee some kind of damage so then my size 6 ship killer can hit them hard.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Dramegno

• Bay Watcher
  • Gobo the other white meat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17948 on: March 14, 2016, 04:40:04 pm »

when I think of MIRV I think of a missile that splits into multiple smaller missiles/bombs near the target(s). so am I misunderstanding you what you are saying? It sounds like you are describing a run of the mill multi stage rocket that may or may not have targeting sensors on it with one payload.

An example of what I was wondering about just to be clear would be firing one missile that after getting half way to an target splits into 4 size 1 missiles to effectively pepper the target or for AMM use to keep the number of launchers down.
So, it's AnimaRytak, mighty Void God, versus the greatest cluster[FOWL] my incompetence can engineer.

I will be so god damn proud if AMBASSADOR bites your head off.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #17949 on: March 14, 2016, 05:20:44 pm »

Correct.  First, design the second stage that you want to have carried on the missile, which will operate post-separation in the terminal run.  Then, when you design your delivery stage, you can specify a second stage for the delivery stage in the missile design window, as well as the number of missiles you want to have carried.  Give me a tick, and I can rummage up a screenshot.

EDIT:
Here we go,  in case there's still any confusion.  Note that this is obviously not an optimum design; I've been using mundane kinetics as point defense rather than Size-1 AMMs, so my five-second MIRV proposal is going to try to deploy four size-six ship-killers for a payload larger than the rest of the missile.  I also didn't bother fine-tuning the primary engine or separation distances at all.  Or anything, really. :P
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT 2:
Oh, and I should clarify that some people refer to all multi-stage missiles as MIRV, even those that are not "multiple" or undergo "reentry", simply because this design parameter is so general - any second stage, from carrying a single missile up to a payload larger than most fighters, is controlled through that section. 
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 05:33:28 pm by Culise »

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17950 on: March 14, 2016, 05:58:12 pm »

Why would you put points in agility?

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #17951 on: March 14, 2016, 06:05:48 pm »

Hypothetically, or in this particular example?  In a general case, agility boosts your missile's ability to hit anything on the scale of the broad side of a barn or smaller.  Depending on how fast your missile is moving already, it may be easier to adjust this than your velocity.  The thing to really be careful for, though, is to make sure the accuracy penalty from the extra mass doesn't counterbalance the accuracy gain from the extra agility. 

In this particular example?  Because I didn't reset it to zero while playing around with the Previous Designs dropdown to see if I already had a multistage missile designed on this game. ^_^
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 06:07:37 pm by Culise »

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17952 on: March 14, 2016, 06:25:58 pm »

Where do you download this game?
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #17953 on: March 14, 2016, 06:46:47 pm »

Where do you download this game?
On the Aurora Forums in the Installation subforum. It's been a long time so I can't recall for sure, but you may need to register with the forum for the installation subforum to be visible.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17954 on: March 14, 2016, 08:02:53 pm »

Nah, you don't need to register on their forums to download. I certainly never did.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.
Pages: 1 ... 1195 1196 [1197] 1198 1199 ... 1347