Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1186 1187 [1188] 1189 1190 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2810639 times)

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #17805 on: February 21, 2016, 01:41:56 pm »

You can get more higher-ranked officers by getting more officers. Either build more military academies or add them in with SM mode.

From the DAC/Rank/Info tab on the class design screen you can set both the minimum officer rank required for that class as well as the assignment priority.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #17806 on: February 21, 2016, 03:23:14 pm »

So the folder aurora is in doesn't matter? And I tried C:\Logs.

Edit: Found it in D:\Logs.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 04:01:54 pm by jwoodward48df »
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #17807 on: February 22, 2016, 05:30:07 pm »

In what file can I find the old event logs? I'm making a story, and need to see exactly when the governor died.

He died when you say he died?  I doubt you'll get audited over your story.   :P

(In truth, I could see myself getting hung up on the details also)

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17808 on: February 22, 2016, 06:25:43 pm »

It's easier for heroic ship commanders, since if they were assigned permanently you can just check the ship's records.

Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

ZetaX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17809 on: February 23, 2016, 01:07:48 pm »

difficult to dodge or stop because they're never where you see them as being.
Predicting it is no problem at all. You know precisely where they are at what time. Just calculate. This doesn't require relativity and works the same in Newtonian physics.

Stopping is also quite easy: throw something in their way at a safe distance. The resulting collision is so powerful, both parts will be essentially obliterated.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #17810 on: February 23, 2016, 02:42:39 pm »

So, definitely no high-relativistic uber-cannons, then. Oh well.

Basically I mean a mass driver with velocity in excess of 60% c. Unlimited range, absurd kinetic energy, difficult to dodge or stop because they're never where you see them as being.
Sensor contacts in aurora propagate superluminally. It's why it's possible to shoot down high-relativistic missiles with the right technology.
That and if the contact bead is detected on any sensors, any ship can dodge it with a slight vector change a few seconds before impact.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17811 on: February 23, 2016, 05:38:55 pm »

Yeah, Aurora sensors are for all intents and purposes instantaneous--at the ranges they operate in, the only functional delay between an object entering detection range and the same object appearing on a ship's screens is the time it takes for the ship's computers to render the new contact and the crew's sensory systems to relay that information.

And again, Aurora kinetic weapons are hardcapped at 0.93c (well, all E/KW are, but presumably the pure-energy ones--lasers and mesons--would be right on the dot at c if not for the range cap). That means that an Aurora railgun firing from any farther out than maybe 5-6 lightseconds allows for active dodging, since the ships are totally inertialess and capable of instantly accelerating along any vector. The only way to make it work would be with long-range strikes from stealthed ships against unsuspecting targets with projectiles made from T/N materials and small enough to be undetectable. If an Aurora ship knows you're there, its navigation computer (i.e. the player, in meta-terms) could be programmed to change vector every 2-3 seconds, completely nullifying all sub-light projectile fire from farther than point-blank range.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17812 on: February 23, 2016, 06:27:43 pm »

I've noticed that a lot of people here have very large fighters, up to 500 tonnes.

Meanwhile, my current generation of intertial-confinement fighters weigh just over 100 tonnes with missile loaded, and travel at a whopping 34,000+km/s speed

Whats filling the space in your fighters?
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17813 on: February 23, 2016, 07:06:01 pm »

I've noticed that a lot of people here have very large fighters, up to 500 tonnes.

Meanwhile, my current generation of intertial-confinement fighters weigh just over 100 tonnes with missile loaded, and travel at a whopping 34,000+km/s speed

You answered your own question there. Most people are probably talking about lower-tech fighters.

Also if that wasn't a typo, using more than one box launcher and (possibly) longer sensor/FC range.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17814 on: February 23, 2016, 08:03:41 pm »

For me it is energy weapons. Once the weapons are in you may as well go the whole way to 500 to fill out the hangar space. Then you make all your designs 500 to match the spacing scheme. Might update to 400 at some point in the future I guess... It is just difficult to do much when you are forced to spend 150 on a single component. Then you need to add a reactor and the engine needs to be scaled up and you spend extra on armour because nobody wants to be done in by a single A.M.M. and then you want to throw in an engineering bay because losing a fighter that big to a broken engine would be sad...

I should probably build a towing F.A.C. with stealth...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #17815 on: February 24, 2016, 02:08:18 am »

For me it is energy weapons. Once the weapons are in you may as well go the whole way to 500 to fill out the hangar space. Then you make all your designs 500 to match the spacing scheme. Might update to 400 at some point in the future I guess... It is just difficult to do much when you are forced to spend 150 on a single component. Then you need to add a reactor and the engine needs to be scaled up and you spend extra on armour because nobody wants to be done in by a single A.M.M. and then you want to throw in an engineering bay because losing a fighter that big to a broken engine would be sad...

I should probably build a towing F.A.C. with stealth...
Fighters /should/ (functionally) be able to tank most of what people and AI consider to be AMMs. The size 1 warhead can only scratch out the depth of the armor, not break components. It's the other 10,000 incoming AMMs you have to be worried about.
Engineering bays, however, are probably not worth the investment on a fighter unless you plan to use them for long, drawn-out engagements. I think their maint failure checks are only ticked once every 5 days, right? That's a solid 5 days of deployment.
Speaking of which, if you are using 5-day fighters, definitely set your deployment time to 0.1 of a month, give or take, this will cut down the crew size significantly and make it much easier to get smaller tonnage as even tinier crew quarters will be used.

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17816 on: February 24, 2016, 02:56:04 am »

Everything depends on your mission profile.

I build 500t beam fighters (Railguns to defeat moderate AMM use, a few lasers in case range allows flawless victories)
I build 150-300t fighters armed with a single box launcher (barebones. Aim: get in undetected. Rely on salvo dispersion rather than number of missiles to defeat PD).
I build 400-500t missile fighters with more complicated arrangements.
I tried my hand at very small Gauss fighters but didn't like them very much.
I build low-performance fighters with a mission life of 5-10 years (most others have no engineering spaces and a deployment time of 3 days)#

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17817 on: February 24, 2016, 04:59:06 am »

With more box lauchers, what else?

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #17818 on: February 24, 2016, 05:09:42 am »

eh, the moment you want a non box-launcher fighter you need both a reactor and the smallest meson is 250t iirc, gauss can be smaller but if you sacrifice too much precision they become pointless.

meson fighters are an awesome backup for every occasion, but miniaturizing them is quite hard to do

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #17819 on: February 24, 2016, 08:52:20 am »

Engineering bays, however, are probably not worth the investment on a fighter unless you plan to use them for long, drawn-out engagements. I think their maint failure checks are only ticked once every 5 days, right? That's a solid 5 days of deployment.
I'm afraid not. The check for maintenance failures isn't after 5 days of deployment but rather whenever the next production cycle occurs. So if your fighters are launched just after a production tick you will have 5 days before a failure can occur, but if you launch just before one then you only have the remaining time till the tick.

eh, the moment you want a non box-launcher fighter you need both a reactor and the smallest meson is 250t iirc, gauss can be smaller but if you sacrifice too much precision they become pointless.
Smallest Particle Beam is size 5(250t), smallest Plasma Cannonade is size 4(200t), smallest Meson/Railgun/Microwave/half size Gauss is size 3(150t), smallest Laser(using either size reduction) is size 2(100t), smallest Gauss is size 0.5(25t)(although such a low chance to hit that it is unlikely to score a hit before being destroyed). Reactor size is too dependant on reactor tech and power boost tech to be specific but size 0.5(25t) - 1(50t) is generally a good ballpark starting point for estimates.

So a general estimate of 200t for a effective beam weapon+reactor+crew quarters is probably fair. So while it is possible to squeeze a beam fighter into 250t, it will be bare-bones and relatively slow and likely need you to reach a somewhat higher tech level. Going to 500t allows for a much larger engine and more comprehensive systems at a lower tech level.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Pages: 1 ... 1186 1187 [1188] 1189 1190 ... 1347