Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1185 1186 [1187] 1188 1189 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2810674 times)

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #17790 on: February 18, 2016, 05:01:16 am »

So, definitely no high-relativistic uber-cannons, then. Oh well.

Basically I mean a mass driver with velocity in excess of 60% c. Unlimited range, absurd kinetic energy, difficult to dodge or stop because they're never where you see them as being.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #17791 on: February 18, 2016, 05:07:14 am »

Well, the game is trans-newtonian, so we have FTL sensors anyway.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #17792 on: February 18, 2016, 05:12:44 am »

Ah, true.

Still, I would like to see some really absurd RKKV guns. Anything in excess of .85c actually gets you more bang for your buck than antimatter, per mass.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #17793 on: February 18, 2016, 05:15:55 am »

Well, ships could easily dodge out of the way, so it'd only be useful against planets, PDCs and space station. And with FTL sensors it shouldn't be too hard to shoot the thing down.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17794 on: February 18, 2016, 02:19:30 pm »

Well, ships could easily dodge out of the way, so it'd only be useful against planets, PDCs and space station.

Don't forget the Gauna.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17795 on: February 18, 2016, 02:35:35 pm »

Higher TL railguns are 0.93c velocity weapons, technically. They could go higher if it wasn't for the E/KW range cap.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #17796 on: February 19, 2016, 05:48:35 am »

Is it hardcoded to find aliens at your first new system or am I just really unlucky?
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17797 on: February 19, 2016, 06:36:19 am »

You're really unlucky. Just like me! My first intersystem game resulted in my ships lolsploding due to missile-related explosions. Now that I'm ready for them it takes me six systems to find any at a minimum.

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #17798 on: February 19, 2016, 06:58:14 am »

Oh well, I just got lucky... Aliens. With missiles. THEY KILLED ONE OF MY FIFTY SU37s! The Bastards! (Missile fighter design of mine.)
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Lossmar

• Bay Watcher
  • Humanity Fuck Yeah !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17799 on: February 19, 2016, 10:31:48 am »

Oh well, I just got lucky... Aliens. With missiles. THEY KILLED ONE OF MY FIFTY SU37s! The Bastards! (Missile fighter design of mine.)
Holy shit that are some serious casaulties ... I think you should consider surrendering, you French.  ;D 8)
How to cure gaming industry in couple easy steps :
1. Stop preordering games.
2. Stop hyping games that have nothing to show except pre-rendered hype trailer.
3. Always distrust corporations.
4. Always rage at criminal DLC , microtransactions, pre-order bonuses and other semi legal practices.

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #17800 on: February 19, 2016, 02:45:43 pm »

I'm just setting off into the solar system, and my freighter has loaded infrastructure. And now it's sitting there, saying "Time Required: 0:10:00", and that middle number is going up every time I wait. WTF?! I mean, sure, it doesn't have any of that loading/unloading tech, but shouldn't that time be going down?

Edit: I reset the orders and started over. "Move to Earth", check. "Load infrastructure at Earth", not check. "Cannot follow orders," my foot. You've got a small cargo hold, right? Yep. And there's 998 infrastructure on Earth? Yep. So why don't they load the infrastructure?! I've even constructed a commercial spaceport for them!

Edit: Nevermind, I figured it out. I still don't know why it didn't work the first time, but my second problem was that the cargo bays were full - with infrastructure! You'd figure there'd be a way to see that, but... yay aurora and a UI that actively hates you...
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 03:03:44 pm by jwoodward48df »
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17801 on: February 19, 2016, 03:34:37 pm »

I'm just setting off into the solar system, and my freighter has loaded infrastructure. And now it's sitting there, saying "Time Required: 0:10:00", and that middle number is going up every time I wait. WTF?! I mean, sure, it doesn't have any of that loading/unloading tech, but shouldn't that time be going down?

Edit: I reset the orders and started over. "Move to Earth", check. "Load infrastructure at Earth", not check. "Cannot follow orders," my foot. You've got a small cargo hold, right? Yep. And there's 998 infrastructure on Earth? Yep. So why don't they load the infrastructure?! I've even constructed a commercial spaceport for them!

Edit: Nevermind, I figured it out. I still don't know why it didn't work the first time, but my second problem was that the cargo bays were full - with infrastructure! You'd figure there'd be a way to see that, but... yay aurora and a UI that actively hates you...

You can check cargo in the menu on the bottom-right of the task group section. Click the +es next to the ship names
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #17802 on: February 20, 2016, 10:28:56 pm »

In what file can I find the old event logs? I'm making a story, and need to see exactly when the governor died.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17803 on: February 20, 2016, 11:45:41 pm »

C:\Logs (or whatever drive aurora is on).
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17804 on: February 21, 2016, 01:27:52 pm »

Is there any way to get more higher-ranked staff?

Is there any way to stop all the high-ranking, extra-good Captains from being assigned to the commander-requirement ships while ships with the requirement Captain go without any officer?
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright
Pages: 1 ... 1185 1186 [1187] 1188 1189 ... 1347