Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 894 895 [896] 897 898 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2815056 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #13425 on: April 16, 2013, 03:49:45 pm »

Off topic for a moment... I have noticed the referial of Galactic Civ 2 as the most loved 4x game of Bay 12, but I noticed one thing... WHY ISNT THERE A GALACTIC CIV 2 THREAD!!!

Carry on...

1. What does that have to do with Aurora?
2. I haven't. I mean, it's fun now and again, and I know several people here who like it, but... eh. That aside, you can always make the thread yourself.
It has not a thing to do with this game, and is entirely inappropriate to ask here. Its also not even that good of a game...

Crimson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13426 on: April 17, 2013, 12:00:34 am »

One question, can box launchers fire multiple missiles (like size 5 launcher firing 5 size 1 missiles) or can it only fire one before needing to reload somewhere?

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13427 on: April 17, 2013, 12:13:12 am »

launchers can only fire one missile, and the missile can be any size to the maximum size of the launcher. If you want to fire a cluster of size 1 missiles, you'd need to make a 2-stage missile with a multiple missile second stage.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13428 on: April 17, 2013, 01:05:04 am »

Or a cluster of size-1 launcher.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #13429 on: April 17, 2013, 02:52:33 pm »

For a Star Wars theme, I'm thinking that Aurora's Microwave weapons are almost identical to Star Wars Ion Cannons.

Son_of_Orion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13430 on: April 17, 2013, 02:56:11 pm »

Ugh. I really want to learn how to play this game, I really do. The detail is incredible. The tutorials on the forum are damn near incomprehensible, save for one new one that seems to have stopped, unfortunately. How do I play this fucking game? D:

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #13431 on: April 17, 2013, 03:05:47 pm »

Since planet-destroying lasers aren't in Aurora, I'll have to settle for these beauties.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13432 on: April 17, 2013, 04:13:06 pm »

Ugh. I really want to learn how to play this game, I really do. The detail is incredible. The tutorials on the forum are damn near incomprehensible, save for one new one that seems to have stopped, unfortunately. How do I play this fucking game? D:
Trial and error. No, in all seriousness, I (and I think most/all of us) learned by muddling through things, referencing the tutorials where possible, and bombarding each other with questions. I've said it before: I've been playing Aurora for close to two years and I'm still discovering things I didn't know.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13433 on: April 17, 2013, 05:11:16 pm »

Trial and error. No, in all seriousness, I (and I think most/all of us) learned by muddling through things, referencing the tutorials where possible, and bombarding each other with questions. I've said it before: I've been playing Aurora for close to two years and I'm still discovering things I didn't know.
I can back this up.
The best way to learn the menus is to bumble through them over and over until you finally figure out what does what.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13434 on: April 17, 2013, 05:40:53 pm »

When in doubt, hover your mouse cursor over anything you're not sure about. There's often some pop-up text that might help.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13435 on: April 17, 2013, 08:03:01 pm »

With Aurora it goes more like this:

Give a man help and you satiate his curiosity for a minute. Teach the man how to help himself and he will be back an hour later with a new question that he couldn't help himself with. Allow a man to discover how to help himself and he will commit terrible crimes, but who cares because all the victims were filthy xenos scum.

:P

3. Run Resize Enable

chicagohotdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13436 on: April 18, 2013, 10:49:15 am »

Any assistance with integrating this game with Excel? I would like to track as much data as possible (especially for mineral management), but it is tedious and probably not necessary to enter it all by hand. I have decent experience with Excel, but not integrating it with other programs.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #13437 on: April 18, 2013, 10:52:05 am »

Why would you want to integrate Excel: The Game with just normal Excel?

Also, it really sucks that that one new tutorial stopped. It was pretty good.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13438 on: April 18, 2013, 02:55:11 pm »

Okay, I've got my new campaign nearly set. Scenario:

5 million people. Sol is gone. 5 construction factories, 1 lab, 25 automines, 5 maintenance facilities. The new colony is rich in minerals, and the system is full of potential colony sites. Tech is largely conventional, barring a few improvements in C&P. The colony's sole spaceworthy asset is this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

On the one hand, this newly unearthed alien relic should be able to fend off small groups of hostiles. On the other hand, the colony possesses none of the infrastructure necessary to refuel, repair, or maintain the Apollo. Of course, as usual I'm playing with maintenance off while still acting as if it weren't, so I won't see total failure of the ship just from keeping it in a parking orbit. Precursors and Swarm are on, no NPR at start, 1500% NPR difficulty, 75% chance of NPR spawn. It's just a shame that we can't build giant robots.

3. Run Resize Enable

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #13439 on: April 18, 2013, 04:08:22 pm »

Okay, I've got my new campaign nearly set. Scenario:

5 million people. Sol is gone. 5 construction factories, 1 lab, 25 automines, 5 maintenance facilities. The new colony is rich in minerals, and the system is full of potential colony sites. Tech is largely conventional, barring a few improvements in C&P. The colony's sole spaceworthy asset is this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

On the one hand, this newly unearthed alien relic should be able to fend off small groups of hostiles. On the other hand, the colony possesses none of the infrastructure necessary to refuel, repair, or maintain the Apollo. Of course, as usual I'm playing with maintenance off while still acting as if it weren't, so I won't see total failure of the ship just from keeping it in a parking orbit. Precursors and Swarm are on, no NPR at start, 1500% NPR difficulty, 75% chance of NPR spawn. It's just a shame that we can't build giant robots.
Could you share the start before you get started? Sounds like fun.

Also don't put code tags in spoilers. Code tags limit their size automatically.
Pages: 1 ... 894 895 [896] 897 898 ... 1347