Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 893 894 [895] 896 897 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2815281 times)

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #13410 on: April 13, 2013, 07:11:20 am »

This thread is so intimidating...
How is it intimidating? Size? Content?

Thats what she said!

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #13411 on: April 13, 2013, 08:09:03 am »

This thread is so intimidating...
How is it intimidating? Size? Content?

Thats what she said!
Yeah, this game is pretty hard-core :P

E: I know that I can do a lot, but I'm kinda afraid of my entire empire collapsing over the course of a month and I really, really don't know what to do. Also, the tutorial doesn't say anything on military. Yet.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 08:15:18 am by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #13412 on: April 13, 2013, 09:05:54 am »

What to do at least partly depends on what settings you used when starting the game. If you have Precursor or Swarm spoiler races enabled then any system you jump into could contain them, and they will likely slaughter your initial combat ships. If you have Invaders on, well... there are good reason that even experienced players frequently don't enable them early on in the game(beyond potentially eternal 5-sec interrupts if they run into Swarm or Precursors.). If you had an initial NPR generated then it will be running around exploring and waking things up.

In any of those cases you will want to spend some time researching your weapon, targeting and sensor systems before venturing forth beyond Sol. The initial levels of weapon tech will usually just get you killed if you get into a battle.

Other things to do.

Finish up a geo-survey of Sol and establish mining colonies on any decent sources of minerals.
If any of the gas giants possess Sorium design and build some harvesters(fuel harvesting modules and fuel tanks) and have them start producing fuel, you will need it. Use tankers to transport it back to Earth/one of your colonies.
Have between 20%-40% of your industrial capacity work on producing more research facilities and another 20%-40% work on additional construction facilities.
Possibly start terraforming Mars.
Keep an occasional eye on the wealth tab of the colony screen. If this looks like it is going to dip negative then research the "expand civilian economy tech".
Once you have reasonable weapon tech, usually 3-4 levels in each tech for the weapon, start designing some combat ships.
Carefully start exploring the surrounding systems.

Pretty much everything you could do has come up at some point in this thread, but you can always ask if you need help with specifics, there is usually someone who can answer in fairly short order.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13413 on: April 13, 2013, 09:14:30 am »

Alright. How exactly do I establish mining colonies, and especially on comets? (I just found a pretty rich comet (good amounts of Duranium and Sorium), and I'm not sure how to go about getting the stuff on it.)

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13414 on: April 13, 2013, 09:24:38 am »

Alright. How exactly do I establish mining colonies, and especially on comets? (I just found a pretty rich comet (good amounts of Duranium and Sorium), and I'm not sure how to go about getting the stuff on it.)

Have freighters. Have automines. Load automines onto freighters. Move freighters to asteroid/comet/moon/planet of interest, unload automines. Rinse and repeat. Either use freighters to move mined minerals to where you need them, or (if your manufacturing site is in the same system), build a pair of mass drivers, move one to your mining colony, and (under the mining tab of the economics window) set its destination to be your manufacturing world.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #13415 on: April 13, 2013, 09:32:47 am »

Errors D:.

I get these at 5+ days increments. I have not done anything else yet. Decimal separator is correct. Have not messed with the database.
Any idea what it could be?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13416 on: April 13, 2013, 09:48:35 am »

"Geen huidige" means "No current", by the way.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #13417 on: April 13, 2013, 10:59:50 am »

I get these at 5+ days increments. I have not done anything else yet. Decimal separator is correct. Have not messed with the database.

Under additional settings of region and language check

decimal separator is a period
digit grouping is a comma
list separator is a comma
currency decimal separator is a period
currency digit separator is a comma

If that doesn't work try setting region and language format to English (United Kingdom), some people have reported that this helped them.

Otherwise I'd post over on the aurora forums. Make sure to specify your region along with the errors.

Random possibility: Did you do a conventional start with missile bases generated? If so, there is a error in the auto generated bases that causes them to have no crew quarters, hence deployment time is zero, causing errors when it does the crew morale checks.

To solve this, enter SM mode, go to the F6 screen and delete all of the missile bases. Go to the class design screen(F5), unlock the missile base design and set it's deployment time to a non-zero amount(I usually do 3 months) and lock the design again. Then open up the Fast OOB screen(shift+F9) and add the same number of missile bases as you initially had.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 11:10:55 am by Metalax »

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13418 on: April 13, 2013, 11:21:14 am »

Under additional settings of region and language check

decimal separator is a period
digit grouping is a comma
list separator is a comma
currency decimal separator is a period
currency digit separator is a comma

If that doesn't work try setting region and language format to English (United Kingdom), some people have reported that this helped them.

Otherwise I'd post over on the aurora forums. Make sure to specify your region along with the errors.

Random possibility: Did you do a conventional start with missile bases generated? If so, there is a error in the auto generated bases that causes them to have no crew quarters, hence deployment time is zero, causing errors when it does the crew morale checks.

To solve this, enter SM mode, go to the F6 screen and delete all of the missile bases. Go to the class design screen(F5), unlock the missile base design and set it's deployment time to a non-zero amount(I usually do 3 months) and lock the design again. Then open up the Fast OOB screen(shift+F9) and add the same number of missile bases as you initially had.

Would not just SM unlocking and editing the existent design work?

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #13419 on: April 13, 2013, 11:25:12 am »

It may do, updating the design and then going through each base on the individual ship details screen should update them all. I tend to do it the other way to make sure there are no lingering errors.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13420 on: April 13, 2013, 12:43:11 pm »

E: I know that I can do a lot, but I'm kinda afraid of my entire empire collapsing over the course of a month and I really, really don't know what to do. Also, the tutorial doesn't say anything on military. Yet.
Don't worry, unless you've been atrociously slow to look for more resources, your empire won't fall apart irreparably even if you leave it alone for 200 years if you didn't generate with an NPR and you don't have Invaders on.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #13421 on: April 13, 2013, 12:57:35 pm »

Missile bases might indeed be the problem. I will try starting without them.

Crimson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13422 on: April 13, 2013, 11:04:05 pm »

It's been 2 in game years since I've dealt with the Swarm and started producing 2nd gen ships. Started to colonize the system they were in since there were a lot of minerals but I'm starting to run low in Duranium which could be bad for future fleets. Also, one of my exploration ships thermal sensors picked up thermal signatures of strength 6000 coming out from a wormhole. The only invaders I faced before were 4 1000 ton ships with Size 5 WH20 missiles so I'm not sure what to expect from these new big invaders.

I do wonder if these DN's of mine can even take care of the invaders by themselves though I don't know yet what weapons these new invaders could be packing (other than missiles).

I know that I could've just replaced those unnecessary components (hangar, troop transport, cryogenics) with more guns and armor but I'm still RPing this game so don't mind them.

Edit 2: Managed to capture one. Turns out they were Constructions Ships (JCS) which explains why my anti-warship missiles easily destroyed them like paper and why the last one attempted to ram one of my fighters, despite their huge size (92450 tons).

Also, just encountered another swarm fleet fighting a previously known NPR in a new system. The NPR is losing with several ships already wrecked and some new ones appearing after several increments. Need to deal with the Swarm before the NPR loses and gets their wrecks eaten. Also, the swarm mothership is huge at 200,000 tons. :o. They've also got 5 60,000 ton ships around which was the mothership of the one I've encountered before. Made me WTF as I thought they wouldn't get any larger.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 09:58:52 am by Crimson »

SquatchHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • A bit drafty
    • View Profile
« Reply #13423 on: April 16, 2013, 12:22:26 pm »

Off topic for a moment... I have noticed the referial of Galactic Civ 2 as the most loved 4x game of Bay 12, but I noticed one thing... WHY ISNT THERE A GALACTIC CIV 2 THREAD!!!

Carry on...
That's technically an action, not a speech... Well it was only a matter of time before I had to write another scene of utter and horrifying perversion.

King of Candy Island.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13424 on: April 16, 2013, 12:32:09 pm »

Off topic for a moment... I have noticed the referial of Galactic Civ 2 as the most loved 4x game of Bay 12, but I noticed one thing... WHY ISNT THERE A GALACTIC CIV 2 THREAD!!!

Carry on...

1. What does that have to do with Aurora?
2. I haven't. I mean, it's fun now and again, and I know several people here who like it, but... eh. That aside, you can always make the thread yourself.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 893 894 [895] 896 897 ... 1347