Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 829 830 [831] 832 833 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2818002 times)

Gidoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #12450 on: November 15, 2012, 09:26:56 am »

Well....that was a first. Started up a new game in 6.1. After about six years, I had built jumpgates on all four JPs in Sol, after popping a jump-capable battlegroup through to make sure it wasn't a hostile system. Cue Swarm Queen showing up where I thought was "safe". She blows up my geoscout, then somehow evades the battlecruiser I had sent to intercept when I first spotted her. About the time my cruiser gets to Ross 248, the Queen shows up just outside Jupiter's orbit and proceeds to head to Earth where she wrecks my shit and irradiates the planet.  :'(

And never launched drones, which was odd. I wonder if Steve has rewritten AI code for the Swarm this go-around. NEVER had them be that aggressive before, and especially never had anything other than Happy Fun Ships make a direct attack on Earth.

Sounds like how my current campaign's been going. First system I jump into, there's four Swarm Queens and a Matriarch waiting for me. They were pumping out drones, though, so I dunno. Majorly more aggressive though.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12451 on: November 15, 2012, 10:12:43 am »

How do I get my freighters to actually pick up the mineral's I'm mining from asteroids?  They are currently following the same asteroid as my mining ships, but yet when I go to the ship screen they have nothing in their holds.  And how do you get them to unload?  And how long does it take for commerical companies to start building ships?  I gave them 3000 wealth, and they have yet to build anything. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12452 on: November 15, 2012, 10:21:44 am »

How do I get my freighters to actually pick up the mineral's I'm mining from asteroids?  They are currently following the same asteroid as my mining ships, but yet when I go to the ship screen they have nothing in their holds.  And how do you get them to unload?

I've never used mining ships before, but have you checked the colony on the asteroid for the missing minerals? And you can load/unload minerals in the Orders Menu (F12), but obviously the ship will need minerals in its hold before it can off-load them (or at the very least an order to pick up minerals from a colony).

And how long does it take for commerical companies to start building ships?  I gave them 3000 wealth, and they have yet to build anything. 

It takes a while for shipping lines to get their stuff together and start building ships, so give them a while. Oh, and dump more than 3000 wealth into a line. Wealth generation is incredibly easy, so dumping 3 quarters of your wealth into a shipping line isn't going to to hurt you.  And if you do start to run negative budgets, then simply build some financial centres. Plus shipping lines don't seem to earn much money, and you'll want their colony ships and freighters as soon as possible, so pumping them full of money is a good thing.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12453 on: November 15, 2012, 10:42:03 am »

How do I get my freighters to actually pick up the mineral's I'm mining from asteroids?  They are currently following the same asteroid as my mining ships, but yet when I go to the ship screen they have nothing in their holds.  And how do you get them to unload?  And how long does it take for commerical companies to start building ships?  I gave them 3000 wealth, and they have yet to build anything.
You'll need to execute orders for the freighters to Load Minerals from the asteroid in question. I find that you wind up wanting to handle this one of two ways:

1. Periodic "mule runs" where you send a freighter out to the asteroid, load up with whatever minerals are laying around, and come back to Earth to dump the ore. Doesn't need to be a constant thing, maybe one run every 3-6 months.
2. Build a few mass drivers, then have your freighter load one and drop it off on the asteroid. Then you go into the Mining tab for that asteroid "colony" and aim it whereever you want the ore to go. That way, you have a steady stream of minerals incoming. When that rock's tapped out, you move the miner to a new one and just have the freighter move the mass driver as well.
3. An advanced strategy is to design your miner with sufficient cargo space to hold a single mass driver. That way, you don't even need a freighter. The miner can carry its own mass driver with it from rock to rock. If you design it with a really long deployment time, it can theoretically stay out in the Belt for decades this way without needing any support vessels.

My system maps of Sol typically have mineral packets flying all over the place, from asteroid operations and CMCs (civilian mining colonies).

As far as civilian lines, they not only need money, but some destinations and some business. If you have no extraterrestrial colonies (CMCs don't count), there's nothing to haul, and thus no reason to build ships. Easiest way to generate some shipping traffic (in 6.0, at least):

1. Build some infrastructure. It's cheap and quick to make.
2. Load it onto your freighter(s).
3. Drop it on Luna or Mars.
4a. If you have a colony ship, move a few hundred thousand colonists there as well. This will generate a demand for goods and more infrastructure, which should trigger freighters to be built.
4b. If you don't have a colony ship, move some mines or factories there. This will generate a demand for population, which should trigger colony ships to be built.

Voila! You'll start seeing colony ships and/or freighters being built. You'll also see CMCs start popping up. CMCs are your friend, because they have integrated mass drivers, 1 level of deep space tracking station, and generate a free Garrison Battalion.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12454 on: November 15, 2012, 11:21:39 am »

Know what's fun? If you've got two dozen mining facilities in Sol all flinging MD packets at Earth, and you accidentally ship the only MD on Earth somewhere else.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12455 on: November 15, 2012, 11:35:50 am »

For some reason, "fun" in Aurora often involves genocide.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12456 on: November 15, 2012, 11:52:09 am »

Well it is Dwarf Fortress in space.  We need something to pass the time.
And how do you recover life pods?  My gravity survey ship just blew up.  From one of it's sensors failing. 

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12457 on: November 15, 2012, 11:56:35 am »

Well it is Dwarf Fortress in space.  We need something to pass the time.
And how do you recover life pods?  My gravity survey ship just blew up.  From one of it's sensors failing.

Turn on the lifepods tick in the Task Groups/Orders menu and the pods (and the recovery action) should pop up. Obviously you'll need another ship to rescue them.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12458 on: November 15, 2012, 02:22:14 pm »

Know what's fun? If you've got two dozen mining facilities in Sol all flinging MD packets at Earth, and you "accidentally" ship the only MD on Earth somewhere else.
FTFY.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12459 on: November 15, 2012, 02:44:24 pm »

Meh...Steve fixed that a few versions ago so it won't let you load the last mass driver if there's any packets enroute. I think there's a roundabout way of still doing it if you abandon the colony on the planet (the packets have to go somewhere).

In theory, could be used offensively on an enemy system by dropping a mass driver on an enemy world, setting up a bunch of asteroid miners with mass drivers, cranking out and flinging packets, then abandoning the colony on the enemy world (sacrificing the mass driver in the process). Future packets would be halted, but all the packets enroute would continue. Overall though, the logistical PITA to pull all that off means you'd probably be better off just building warships.

Although....in a far binary system, you could generate *years* worth of packets before abandoning your target colony, and leave the enemy to face steady relativistic bombardment at some point in the future. Talk about a Xanatos Gambit.  ;D

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12460 on: November 15, 2012, 02:47:33 pm »

Or do that to an ally who was foolish enough to let you put a mass driver there.  Que up a good few packets, abandon, watch fireworks. 
Also how do you make a geology team survey the planet? 
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 02:49:49 pm by Lightningfalcon »

azurelao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12461 on: November 15, 2012, 02:54:59 pm »

Or do that to an ally who was foolish enough to let you put a mass driver there.  Que up a good few packets, abandon, watch fireworks. 
Also how do you make a geology team survey the planet?

i believe they do it automatically. If the planet has been surveyed, they will randomly increase the availability of found minerals, or potentially find new minerals.

If the planet has not been surveyed they will handle it.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12462 on: November 15, 2012, 03:40:47 pm »

It's automatic but the body needs to be surveyed first.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12463 on: November 15, 2012, 03:56:38 pm »

How do I send something through a mass driver?  This game really needs more documentation...
Also, how horrible is this ship-
Amazon class Missile Frigate    2,450 tons     128 Crew     328.4 BP      TCS 49  TH 90  EM 60
2448 km/s     Armour 5-16     Shields 2-400     Sensors 10/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 2     PPV 2
Maint Life 19.64 Years     MSP 1168    AFR 24%    IFR 0.3%    1YR 6    5YR 86    Max Repair 50 MSP
Magazine 66   

Ion Engine M1 (2)    Power 60    Fuel Use 100%    Signature 45    Armour 0    Exp 5%
Fuel Capacity 60,000 Litres    Range 44.1 billion km   (208 days at full power)
Gamma R400/14 Shields (1)   Total Fuel Cost  14 Litres per day

Size 1 Missile Launcher (2)    Missile Size 1    Rate of Fire 15
ICBM Launch Control (1)     Range 50k km    Resolution 50

Thermal Sensor TH2-10 (1)     Sensitivity 10     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  10m km

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #12464 on: November 15, 2012, 04:03:51 pm »

First build a mass driver, then go to the economics->minerals( or mining? something like that) screen. It's in the top right.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.
Pages: 1 ... 829 830 [831] 832 833 ... 1347