Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 831 832 [833] 834 835 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2817887 times)

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #12480 on: November 15, 2012, 11:27:21 pm »

Ok, now what is it that I probally did wrong with this design-

Daring class Missile Cruiser    8,400 tons     866 Crew     1355.08 BP      TCS 168  TH 168  EM 60
2857 km/s     Armour 2-36     Shields 2-375     Sensors 10/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 3     PPV 54
Maint Life 3.09 Years     MSP 1252    AFR 225%    IFR 3.1%    1YR 197    5YR 2950    Max Repair 108 MSP
Magazine 868   

Magneto-plasma Drive M MK I (6)    Power 80    Fuel Use 70%    Signature 28    Armour 0    Exp 5%
Fuel Capacity 250,000 Litres    Range 76.5 billion km   (310 days at full power)
Delta R375/17.5 Shields (1)   Total Fuel Cost  18 Litres per day

Size 18 Missile Launcher (3)    Missile Size 18    Rate of Fire 180
Missile Fire Control FC22-R20 (70%) (1)     Range 22.5m km    Resolution 20

Active Search Sensor MR18-R20 (70%) (1)     GPS 1050     Range 18.8m km    Resolution 20
Thermal Sensor TH2-10 (1)     Sensitivity 10     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  10m km

This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes

Missile Size: 18 MSP  (0.9 HS)     Warhead: 72    Armour: 2     Manoeuvre Rating: 17
Speed: 17800 km/s    Endurance: 13 minutes   Range: 14.3m km
Cost Per Missile: 24.0083
Chance to Hit: 1k km/s 302.6%   3k km/s 85%   5k km/s 60.5%   10k km/s 30.3%
Materials Required:    18.5x Tritanium   8.2833x Gallicite   Fuel x2500

For right now, this will be my only military vessel, so I won't have a separate ship for point defense or fire control.   
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12481 on: November 15, 2012, 11:36:05 pm »

That 72 warhead size is a bit overkill. Not to mention three of those flying an enemy ship with any kind of decent point defense will do no good. A size six missile would be much better, tripling the amount of missiles in the air (or vaccum) and reducing the effectiveness of any CIWS or AMMs. A bigger sensor might be good, but it's not as big a deal. If you want something to compare off of this my own destroyer and it's supporting ships in my current game, which is about 2 1/2 years in.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12482 on: November 15, 2012, 11:40:23 pm »

I'd probably increase the maintenance life, slap on some better sensors and some more missile launchers, but that's just me. I've probably created worse sins against nature, and you really just need it to last long enough in a war for your next generation of cruisers.

Oh, and remember to do task force training for your Task Groups once they've got their Darings. The less the training percentage is (or whatever it's called) the longer it takes for your group to respond to orders. Admittedly it's something in the range of seconds/minutes, but that can be deadly in a firefight. But I guess with missile ships it's not exactly important.

Oh! One more thing: Anti-missile defences. You'll need them at some point given your mere 2 layers of armour, so start preparing now. All you need is a pokey little 1 size warhead with terrible range but great speed and maneuverability, along with sensors specifically designed to track missiles, and an appropriate fire control.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12483 on: November 16, 2012, 12:04:18 am »

For your apparent tech level:

-Your missiles... what the FUCK!? Even a STR-16 warhead would be overkill at your level of advancement. And you pay for the oversized WH with terrible range, terrible speed, and terrible accuracy.
-FC and AS are painfully short-ranged, even for such a short range missile.
-Thermal sensor is too small to be very useful.
-2 armor layers is nothing at all compared to every single weapon you'll encounter.
-A single Delta shield is meaningless; 2 points of shield will drop after a single hit from just about anything but a TL1-2 laser or a single AMM.
-Another part of the price of having ASMs that are TOO FUCKING BIG is that you can't manage anything approaching a useful salvo (I typically have at least four times that many launchers on a ship half the tonnage, at a comparable level of tech), and that you can hardly carry any reloads even with far too much of your ship composed of magazine space.
-You're evidently playing on pre-6.x. 76b km is fairly short ranged, even for a ship that small.
-You've also got poor speed for your drive tech. I'd be inclined to blame the massive fucking magazine. Seriously, I've had 30k ton heavy cruisers with the same sort of magazine space. The main difference being that the same amount of magazine space would carry a bit over 200 ASMs if they're a reasonable size.
-You have no PD. With 2 armor and 2 points of shield, the first thing that hits one of those is going to wreck it.

But yeah. Most of the issues stem from the massively oversized missiles. It'd be one thing if that was supposed to be a planetary bombardment ship, but...

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

JimiD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12484 on: November 16, 2012, 02:01:22 am »

The general advice seems to be to start with missiles, but there are so many variables in missile ship and missile design it can be quite difficult to grasp and balance.  Beam ships are easier to grasp, when trying to understand the key elements of ship design.  Of course this won't necessarily win all battles, but once you understand ship design, missiles and their variables can come later.

But you can have a perfectly good game just exploring and establishing a multi stellar civ. Conflict comes a lot later, and to a certain extent you can chose to get involved or not.   I've abandoned many games before conflict was started, and others when my first fleet was wiped out due to poor design.  The next game was better informed though.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12485 on: November 16, 2012, 02:39:24 am »

The reason that missiles are advised is that while they're more complex, they're also far more likely to win early engagements then beam ships.

Beam ships require you to have a large tech advantage over your opponent so you can actually catch their ship, and generally more experience with the combat system so you can design defenses for your ships as they'll be taking one hell of a pounding trying to close to combat range.

Talfryn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12486 on: November 16, 2012, 02:47:04 am »

I desperately want to like this game, but I have the opposite problem I do with DF. DF makes me feel rushed, as soon as I unpaused everything whirls by. In Aurora, it feels like I wind up hitting the 30 day increment button over and over again hoping that I've run into something interesting. I don't... :\

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12487 on: November 16, 2012, 02:56:04 am »

I desperately want to like this game, but I have the opposite problem I do with DF. DF makes me feel rushed, as soon as I unpaused everything whirls by. In Aurora, it feels like I wind up hitting the 30 day increment button over and over again hoping that I've run into something interesting. I don't... :\

That's... pretty much Aurora in a nutshell. Or at least how my games usually go. I might try setting the NPR chance up to 100% and increase the number of habitable worlds for my next game, for maximum fun. At the very least I won't have to wait for a generation before meeting some aliens.

And then Matryoshka to the face/face analogue.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12488 on: November 16, 2012, 03:02:14 am »

Are non sol starts bugged in 6.0? I'm getting errors when attempting to select default race.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Talfryn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12489 on: November 16, 2012, 03:19:09 am »

That's... pretty much Aurora in a nutshell.

Yeah, my favorite parts are military and design, which is such a small portion of the game.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12490 on: November 16, 2012, 06:41:59 am »

When I get bored I just put the autoturns on 12 and hit 30 days. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #12491 on: November 16, 2012, 07:05:11 am »

Are non sol starts bugged in 6.0? I'm getting errors when attempting to select default race.

Yes, make sure you are running 6.1 as most of those bugs were fixed in it, the rest are fixed in 6.2 that should hopefully be released soon.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12492 on: November 16, 2012, 07:29:37 am »

I'm in 6.1 and thers a bug, i think i might be able to do a sol start, and Migrate somewhere else, dump a new colony elsewhere and delete the colony in earth, it might be a workaround.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12493 on: November 16, 2012, 11:05:08 am »

See, the endless 30-day turns are amazing if you're the sort of person that reacts to research completing like others react to cocaine.

That aside, go for 2-3 starting NPRs, 1000% difficulty, SS on by default, and 100% NPR spawn rate. You'll get your excitement real quick.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12494 on: November 16, 2012, 11:18:16 am »

See, the endless 30-day turns are amazing if you're the sort of person that reacts to research completing like others react to cocaine.

That aside, go for 2-3 starting NPRs, 1000% difficulty, SS on by default, and 100% NPR spawn rate. You'll get your excitement real quick.
2-3 starting nprs? You'll get all the excitement of endless 5 second turns.
Pages: 1 ... 831 832 [833] 834 835 ... 1347