Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 807 808 [809] 810 811 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2818505 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #12120 on: October 25, 2012, 11:56:41 pm »

I might do that for a dedicated Mining fleet, get all sorts of mining personnel in the fleet.

uberlalzar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12121 on: October 26, 2012, 02:21:28 am »

I guess my tiny square monitor just defies troubleshooting thanks for trying though.
Are you trying to play it on an iPad or one of those tiny little mini-netbooks? I can run it fine on 1024x768.

No it just seems like Resize enable is not intended for what i need it to do which is make everything inside the window smaller while leaving the window the same size.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #12122 on: October 26, 2012, 08:21:01 am »

Can I get a rundown of the whole frigate/cruiser/destroyer/corvette/dreadnought/etc role/size thing please? I can't find it anywhere.

As the others have said there is no fixed size to a classification. These are the sizes I typically use, although this is from the pre-6.0 game so I may need to revise them a bit now(my destroyers seem to be running at 10k tons now for example).
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Use of taskforces is very much up to your play style.

I'll typically run several taskforces, as I usually have far more officers than I know what to do with.

1 survey taskforce, just the commander + survey officer, accompanies the survey swarm.

1 "Training" taskforce. Commander + Operations with the best crew training scores I have. Pretty much all ships cycle through here upon construction.

1 taskforce for each colonised system. Commander, Operations, Logistics, Intelligence and Fighter Ops if any small craft are in use. Any freighters/tankers that will be operating primarily in-system get assigned to this along with the system defence forces.

1 "Contact" taskforce if I'm attempting any peaceful contacts. Commander, Intelligence, Communication and Public Affairs.

1 taskforce for each battle fleet. Every position except survey is filled.

As pretty much every ship of Heavy Cruiser size and up carries a flag bridge, it is easy to form new taskforces if you split off ships from a larger force to operate on their own in a different system.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

revo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12123 on: October 26, 2012, 08:21:45 am »

My Daiku class jump ship/ sensor ship I never noticed it had such a high AFR before now lol. It's meant to go on explorations with military cruisers into unexplored jump points hence its amount of armor.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #12124 on: October 26, 2012, 08:35:37 am »

Why such lopsided passive sensor sizes? If anything I'd lopside it towards the thermal sensors if not using equal sensors. Your EM can only pick up ships with switched on actives/shields or colonies, while the thermal can pick up anything with a thermal signature, pretty much everything except engineless ships/ships set to zero speed.

I'd honestly put the geo survey sensor on a seperate commercial engined ship. Use the saved space for some engineering spaces. As it is when something significant breaks you will have to go back to a shipyard for repairs as you can't fit enough maintainance supplies on the ship at once to fix it. Strip one layer of armour off if you need to, to make space.

revo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12125 on: October 26, 2012, 08:39:50 am »

Why such lopsided passive sensor sizes? If anything I'd lopside it towards the thermal sensors if not using equal sensors. Your EM can only pick up ships with switched on actives/shields or colonies, while the thermal can pick up anything with a thermal signature, pretty much everything except engineless ships/ships set to zero speed.

I'd honestly put the geo survey sensor on a seperate commercial engined ship. Use the saved space for some engineering spaces. As it is when something significant breaks you will have to go back to a shipyard for repairs as you can't fit enough maintainance supplies on the ship at once to fix it. Strip one layer of armour off if you need to, to make space.

I have base sensor tech except for actives. I just threw them on there for the tonnage. I think I might take your advice before producing another one. Sensors are tech the I have been lacking in upgrading and i've been focusing more on propulsion and research speed.

revo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12126 on: October 26, 2012, 08:54:10 am »

Is there anyway you can order subordinate TGs to follow the orders of the Main TG?

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #12127 on: October 26, 2012, 09:47:07 am »

As far as I know, no there is no way to copy the main taskgroups orders over to it's subordinates.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #12128 on: October 26, 2012, 10:36:30 am »

Fighters should be military vessels? What's the fire control error, the fact that you don't have one? I think, with the removal of fighter engines, fighters are just any ship under 500 tons.

Indeed and you no longer need to have an engine on it for it to be classified as a fighter. This makes your fighter factories able to turn out defence sattelites with a single turret or a stack of box launchers by the hundreds.

Excellent! This is just what I was looking for last game. Make fuel tanks the size of fighters, with the minimum crew. Load this onto a carrier or just tractor it onto a ship, then discard it when empty. Tadah! Infinite range!

Alternatively, use tugs to make a chain of tanks and your fighters can top off to move along the line, crisscrossing the system at top speed.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12129 on: October 26, 2012, 11:07:06 am »

I'm not sure how well that'd work, really.  For the size you use in hangar space, you could just as easy use in fuel storage.  Ejecting a fighter doesn't change your ship weight, so you get no speed benefit from discarding an empty fuel-fighter.  It even taxes your system because you have to afford crew berth for that minimal crew.

I'd more likely make a fuel booster, as seen on modern shuttles.  Make a ship with a small, efficient engine, large fuel tank, and long crew duration.  Optionally stealth device.  Give it a tractor beam, and hook it onto the bigger ship.  Fly about, distributing fuel as needed, and when it gets low, you just give it enough fuel to fly home, and then detach the tractor.  Fly the big ship on as normal, and send the nearly-empty fuel booster back to a resupply base for refueling.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #12130 on: October 26, 2012, 01:42:52 pm »

One thing to note, fighter factories can build any design that is 500 tons or under, including comercial designs even if they don't specifically say that they are classed as a fighter.

Code: [Select]
Victory class Fuel Pod    500 tons     5 Crew     98.5 BP      TCS 10  TH 0  EM 0
1 km/s     Armour 1-5     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 1     PPV 0
MSP 123    Max Repair 5 MSP
Intended Deployment Time: 3 months    Spare Berths 1   

Fuel Capacity 385,000 Litres    Range N/A

This design is classed as a Commercial Vessel for maintenance purposes

This can freely be built at fighter factories.

Gidoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12131 on: October 26, 2012, 01:49:02 pm »

One thing to note, fighter factories can build any design that is 500 tons or under, including comercial designs even if they don't specifically say that they are classed as a fighter.

Victory class Fuel Pod    500 tons     5 Crew     98.5 BP      TCS 10  TH 0  EM 0
1 km/s     Armour 1-5     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 1     PPV 0
MSP 123    Max Repair 5 MSP
Intended Deployment Time: 3 months    Spare Berths 1   

Fuel Capacity 385,000 Litres    Range N/A

This can freely be built at fighter factories.

Okay, that is a cool discovery. I'm going to have to steal that for use in my campaigns. If nothing else, it means you can dump a carrier's wing into a ground hangar and use it as a fuel transporter when it's not needed for operations. Especially since one can stick 'commercial' style engines on a carrier now and get great fuel endurance. Or use it with tiny, high efficiency tugs.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #12132 on: October 26, 2012, 01:59:39 pm »

Castilla class Fuel Pod    1,000 tons     15 Crew     195 BP      TCS 20  TH 0  EM 0
1 km/s     Armour 1-8     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 1     PPV 0
MSP 122    Max Repair 100 MSP
Intended Deployment Time: 3 months    Spare Berths 2   
Tractor Beam     

Fuel Capacity 335,000 Litres    Range N/A

This one does require building in a shipyard, but it can use the same yard your gunboats are going to be using. 50k less fuel, but self-adhesive. (Note for when coming out of a conventional start, Tractor beams have cargo handling module as a prerequisite)

Bronimin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12133 on: October 26, 2012, 03:06:57 pm »

Could anyone care to explain how to load missiles into magazines? after fiddling around with it for a while, I can't seem to get it.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12134 on: October 26, 2012, 03:23:10 pm »

The best way is to assign a default missile load-out in the ship design screen (F5) under the "ordnance" tab. When ships are first constructed they'll draw missiles from the colony to try and fill their default load-out. When you assign a task group to "load ordnance from colony" they'll try to fill their default load-out.

If you don't assign a default load-out, you will have to load every ship manually from the ship screen (F6). It's also under an "ordnance" tab.

This sentence contains exactly threee erors.
Pages: 1 ... 807 808 [809] 810 811 ... 1347