Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 804 805 [806] 807 808 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2818539 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #12075 on: October 25, 2012, 10:48:23 am »

Thanks for those directions. I managed to survey the moon without making a 50,000 ton commercial ship factory, so that's a plus.

So I figure that Sorium is a multi-use element. While none of the TN elements are clear in what they do, Sorium seems to do everything. Oddly, it even seems able to fuel antimatter reactors... somehow.

The way I see it, Sorium will fission reliably when exposed to electric current (through a subatomic reaction utilizing dark sorcery), and produces a powerful shower of high-speed heavy elements. So the various "engine technologies" are merely ways of generating increasing electricity to power what is essentially the same Sorium-consuming thruster technology.

Producing fuel from Sorium is simply the process of purifying the element and storing it in a safe way.

Mercassium I have no idea about. Maybe it transmutes oxygen from carbon dioxide for free?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12076 on: October 25, 2012, 10:53:14 am »

I think that Duranium is some kind of steel equivalent/upgrade.

Has anyone else noticed that fuel does not get you nearly as far as in previous versions?
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12077 on: October 25, 2012, 10:54:23 am »

That was one of the things Steve changed, since before you always seemed to have more fuel than you could ever use. Now fuel is an actual concern, and Sorium mining is much more useful.

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #12078 on: October 25, 2012, 11:45:28 am »

Yeah, Sorium is a little tiny bigass bit more useful and handy to have now. Also, don' spend it all on fuel, you need it for maintenance work I think.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12079 on: October 25, 2012, 11:54:51 am »

Jumpdrives are constructed with sorium.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12080 on: October 25, 2012, 01:15:41 pm »

I think that Duranium is some kind of steel equivalent/upgrade.
I think Duranium is actually stolen from Star Trek, but one of those things that's become common sci-fi open-source materials, like how Star Trek pretty much invented the transporter but other shows/movies will still use their own version.  I believe duranium is essentially a titanium alloy with tremendous strength, the equivalent of modern steel - it's good enough for basic use, but it can also be alloyed and cabon-nano-tube-structured to produce much much stronger materials.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12081 on: October 25, 2012, 01:50:08 pm »

Do Precursors show up like a normal NPR? As in, are they visible on the alien races screen, like everyone else?
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #12082 on: October 25, 2012, 01:56:35 pm »

Do Precursors show up like a normal NPR? As in, are they visible on the alien races screen, like everyone else?
Yup.  You don't even know they're Precursors.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12083 on: October 25, 2012, 02:50:58 pm »

Alright, I'm thinking that the aliens I encountered are them, seeing as they have not retaliated at me since I met them 9 or so years ago, and seem to not go back to a home base. Also they have far better technology than me.

uberlalzar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12084 on: October 25, 2012, 06:26:48 pm »

Great, i can now add this to the list of games i can't play because some lazy programmer decided not to make the game fit in the window it's running in.

revo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12085 on: October 25, 2012, 06:30:41 pm »

Great, i can now add this to the list of games i can't play because some lazy programmer decided not to make the game fit in the window it's running in.

one of the posters in this thread has a workaround for that in his/her sig. GO LOOK FOR IT THIS GAME IS AWESOME!

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12086 on: October 25, 2012, 06:33:20 pm »

Have to get into this sometime. I've tried twice but the spreadsheet nature of the thing totally made me go "WTF?" and run screaming like a little girl.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12087 on: October 25, 2012, 06:46:05 pm »

one of the posters in this thread has a workaround for that in his/her sig. GO LOOK FOR IT THIS GAME IS AWESOME!

Someone play my theme music. I'll refrain from the whole "Steve doesn't really care if other people play, it's a personal project that he happened to share" schtick.

Yup.  You don't even know they're Precursors.
Unless you know how to recognize them and SM-communicate to avoid confusion between them and actual NPRs.

Have to get into this sometime. I've tried twice but the spreadsheet nature of the thing totally made me go "WTF?" and run screaming like a little girl.
Honestly, all joking aside, it isn't very spreadsheet-y. The closest to that I've seen is Paul's missile design shortcut/spreadsheet.  :P

It's mostly just a lot of (surprisingly well-formatted) text, and pretty much everything ambiguous has a mouseover tooltip.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12088 on: October 25, 2012, 06:51:03 pm »

And Paul's math doesn't apply anymore because engines have changed.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12089 on: October 25, 2012, 06:53:07 pm »

This sentence contains exactly threee erors.
Pages: 1 ... 804 805 [806] 807 808 ... 1347