Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 801 802 [803] 804 805 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2818563 times)

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #12030 on: October 23, 2012, 02:46:12 pm »

Yeah, they shoot lasers, at least on the one ship I've seen. But I believe that I have a better range, and if I'm wrong I have 3, and can build more. Of course, them having missiles is possible, and if the AI has a good sense of strategy, then they might have closed in and attacked with anti-missile weapons to give me a false sense of capability. And like I said, better warships should come soon.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12031 on: October 23, 2012, 03:03:18 pm »

Recently started a new game. Sol nd nearby systems are out of neutronium and uridium ( and possibly a couple other minerals of which I haven't had shortages yet). a neighboring system has precursors which destroyed my starting fleet with a thousand tiny antimissiles ( even with 10 layers of armor, a thousand is still a big number. need more armor).
a system 2 jumps away has enemies which look suspiciously like Star Swarm.
I may not be well liked by RNG. although choosing railguns as main weapon may count as tempting fate.

anyway, is there some hidden trick to geological surveys ( done with teams) ? so far, I never got any positive result, not even on planets which start with no minerals.

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12032 on: October 23, 2012, 03:10:55 pm »

I do realize that the fire control range is larger than the meson's, apparently I missed that when I designed it.
This isn't particularly bad, since the chance to hit for beam weapons scales linearly from definite hit at point blank to 0% at 2x the listed range. So what you basically did is trade some space for more accuracy.

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #12033 on: October 23, 2012, 03:12:34 pm »

Geosurvey it with a ship, then drop a team there. Even though it is not as effective as it was pre-6.00, it's still profit.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12034 on: October 23, 2012, 03:14:55 pm »

I have to agree, my geology teams found zero minerals on mercury, which usually has a good supply of usefull minerals.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12035 on: October 23, 2012, 03:15:34 pm »

Survey also takes a lot of time.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12036 on: October 23, 2012, 03:15:55 pm »

You should sit on the JP though. More accuracy when they do jump, and more importantly, if they do a squadron jump, they might jump out of your firing range.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12037 on: October 23, 2012, 03:26:53 pm »

That cruiser has no active sensors, so unless you have a dedicated sensor ship accompanying it, it's only use is to look menacing and delay hostiles for the time it takes them to destroy it.

Also, it's incredibly vulnerable with only one layer of amour, and pretty slow for its engine tech level, although that doesn't matter as much for a jump point defender.

Another minor nitpick: the turrets are wasting a bit of tonnage by having a tracking speed faster than your fire-control. That's justified by the FC being a rush job and the turrets being intended for a PDC though.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12038 on: October 23, 2012, 03:30:00 pm »

So I've got some cargo ships pushing facilities to an asteroid rich in Corundium, which I need to produce more mines.  Only issue is, my cargo ships are all "Whaa, we've been out in space too long" and morale and shit.  I've got 3 ships and need to move like 100 automines.  How do I fit it into their cycle orders to take shore leave?

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12039 on: October 23, 2012, 03:34:47 pm »

hm. you could order them to drop fuel and then reload fuel.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12040 on: October 23, 2012, 03:45:30 pm »

Yeah, looking at that ship... 1 armor layer and no shields = dead ship with the first enemy strike. Even if they don't secondary a reactor or drive, even a couple 10cm lasers would completely trash that.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12041 on: October 23, 2012, 03:51:27 pm »

Every 1 layer of armor provides 1 defense on that column.  A larger ship has more columns of armor, so even if you get struck by a powerful laser that shreds your armor, chances are the next hit will be on an untouched column.  Lasers do penetrating damage, slicing one column.  Missiles do triangular damage, striking multiple columns in a shallow pattern.

If your ship has 1 layer of armor, it will be crippled by an attack of 2 strength, probably destroying an engine as those are usually large and causing secondary explosions that would destroy the whole ship.

Higher research into armor doesn't make armor stronger, but it makes it lighter (or 'thinner') so that it's 1/2 the weight and you can layer 2x the armor for the same weight cost.

Internal components are the real "meat" of your ship.  You can fortify most of them to resist destruction in case your armor fails.  This will increase your durability by a random dice roll while costing no extra tons.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12042 on: October 23, 2012, 04:01:03 pm »

Though it should be noted that doing so tends to increase the cost and/or decrease the efficiency of the component in question. For example, increasing the HTK of a magazine decreases how much space it has for missiles.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12043 on: October 23, 2012, 04:19:04 pm »

That warship was a flash-design warship in case of immediate retaliation. I'm currently designing a better laser-armed warship with better armor, weaponry, and range. I didn't add active sensors on the other warship both because of forgetfulness and I already had a dedicated cheap sensor ship. Even if the enemy did make it through the ships, I had ten meson PDC's waiting on Earth.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #12044 on: October 23, 2012, 05:07:35 pm »

Do Mesons even work on Earth? With the atmosphere and all...
Pages: 1 ... 801 802 [803] 804 805 ... 1347