Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 774 775 [776] 777 778 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2819036 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #11625 on: September 24, 2012, 05:50:24 pm »

Another problem with a 7billion start I've found is that it takes so long for the population screen for Earth to load because of, presumably, all the ground units.

It also takes forever to assign units to all the Brigage HQs.  Because as you know, unit training is useless without HQ assignments.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #11626 on: September 24, 2012, 06:03:21 pm »

I haven't tested this recently, but it used to be that while battalions need to be assigned to a hq in order to train and only use the hq officers training scores while outside, if placed inside of PDC's they would train without needing to be assigned to a HQ using their own officers training score. If you built a PDC big enough for a division you and assigned a complete division there, the units would get the benefits of their own officer, the brigade commander and the division commanders training.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 06:05:47 pm by Metalax »
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11627 on: September 24, 2012, 09:14:46 pm »

This would explain why I get so many more CMC's popping up if I do an earth start with the actual earth population, as all those taxpayers increase your income significantly.

Yeah, I just started a modern-day earth population game.  7,000 Million Citizens is a whole new experience.  Only problem is that Earth seems to start with the same minerals, so I'll be tapped out in a couple years.  Still not enough income to make things automatic, but then again my surveyors haven't found much yet.
The factor that affects homeworld mineral count is the financial percentage value. Setting it higher when you make the campaign will increase both how much you start with in terms of homeworld minerals and how much wealth you generate. IIRC, of course.

Also note that if you really want to change the mineral count you can either SM exactly what you want or rerun the mineral generaton for the system, which will give Earth a more typical mineral selection for an oxygen-nitrogen terrestrial world.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11628 on: September 24, 2012, 09:19:57 pm »

This would explain why I get so many more CMC's popping up if I do an earth start with the actual earth population, as all those taxpayers increase your income significantly.

Yeah, I just started a modern-day earth population game.  7,000 Million Citizens is a whole new experience.  Only problem is that Earth seems to start with the same minerals, so I'll be tapped out in a couple years.  Still not enough income to make things automatic, but then again my surveyors haven't found much yet.
The factor that affects homeworld mineral count is the financial percentage value. Setting it higher when you make the campaign will increase both how much you start with in terms of homeworld minerals and how much wealth you generate. IIRC, of course.

Also note that if you really want to change the mineral count you can either SM exactly what you want or rerun the mineral generaton for the system, which will give Earth a more typical mineral selection for an oxygen-nitrogen terrestrial world.

Hm, I slightly boosted wealth while decreasing industry (105% and 95% repectively).  Probably good that I did, otherwise Earth would be empty by now.  I've also limited my manufacturing and shipbuilding.  Mineral scarcety is fine, as long as I know about it and don't get trapped: It gives me motivation to expand.

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #11629 on: September 24, 2012, 11:50:30 pm »

Do you have any prefered settings? I think I'll turn off the swarm for the sake of avoiding constant 5 second turn spam every few years. How many NPRs would you reccomend for something fairly exciting?

On an unrelated note, fought my first NPR today. They are apparently Squid-things that love shields and sensitive electronics. My Ships were armed only with Microwave cannons (I assumed they would inflict thermal damage rather than funcion as EMP cannons). Well, we can't actually kill them per se, but they just kinda show up, get fried, and retreat.

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11630 on: September 25, 2012, 12:31:54 am »

So i've restarted again, this time with 500% NPR difficulty and 100% spawn rate.
The glorious Soyuz Sovetskikh Sotsialisticheskikh Respublik will reign supreme!
A conventional start in 1950 with 1 naval yard and 3 labs, Stalin is still alive and ruling with an iron fist.We have some starting RP, but they won't be used except for emergencys.
I'll take it slow and go for probes to the moon, mars, and venera first.
Then who knows, a manned moon landing, a mars colony, and SPAAAAAAAASE Communists!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 12:40:35 am by MarcAFK »
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11631 on: September 25, 2012, 04:06:46 am »

I recommend starting your games with 100 systems as that would give you reasonable chance to encounter every NPR eventually. Even 300 systems are too many not to mention default 1000. It could always be manually increased later if you start to feel claustrophobic.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11632 on: September 25, 2012, 09:09:51 am »

Just started a genocidal game last night. Belligerent Theocracy (The Holy Empire of Man), conventional start. My Space Knights-Templar will cleanse the unholy filth that lurks behind the stars!

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11633 on: September 25, 2012, 09:27:54 am »

I recommend starting your games with 100 systems as that would give you reasonable chance to encounter every NPR eventually. Even 300 systems are too many not to mention default 1000. It could always be manually increased later if you start to feel claustrophobic.

I don't think that variable applies to Real Stars.  Granted, Real Stars tend to be lousy, but I often forget to turn it off.

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11634 on: September 25, 2012, 09:50:14 am »

Is there any limit to the size of a ship using a jump gate?

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #11635 on: September 25, 2012, 09:51:16 am »

Is there any limit to the size of a ship using a jump gate?
Nope.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11636 on: September 25, 2012, 10:53:58 am »

I don't think that variable applies to Real Stars.  Granted, Real Stars tend to be lousy, but I often forget to turn it off.
In either case, there's no such thing as "every" NPR; you have however many you set to spawn at start. The rest are generated when a faction enters a system; setting a 100 system galaxy doesn't mean that the game generates 100 systems, it means that the maximum number of systems that can potentially generated is 100. That aside, even with a single NPR in a 1000-cap galaxy, I tend to run into them fairly quickly, usually no more than 6-7 jumps from Sol.

And yes, IIRC it does apply to RS; I think the 1000 systems setting is the default because that was the number of stars that Steve added stellar data for. Could be mistaken, though.

3. Run Resize Enable

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11637 on: September 25, 2012, 01:01:59 pm »

Well, I guess the point with a 100-system max is that you can produce a "closed" universe, so that you could actually control all of known space. Also, that doesn't mean you're going to have 100 NPRs. NPRs will only be generated if there's a suitable world in the system. Which in a Real Stars setting, might be one out of every six or seven systems generated (could be more or less, at the whims of the RNG).

In a non-Real Stars setting, there's more F- and G-class stars generated, so a higher percentage....maybe one out of every four or five. But again...RNG. I have a non-Real Stars setting with the standard 30% NPR generation, and I've found dozens of Nitrogen-Oxygen worlds that could hold an NPR but have yet to actually find an NPR. It's annoying.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11638 on: September 25, 2012, 04:33:16 pm »

I've found a large part of it is that most low-cost but not outright habitable (2.00+) worlds tend to be just a little bit too far from human habitable range for NPRs to form.

3. Run Resize Enable

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11639 on: September 26, 2012, 03:42:22 am »

If both you and the starting NPR are actively colonizing a closed universe of up to N systems, you have detectable presence in M system and Mr. "let's spawn a ton of civilian ships and cause 1-day interrupts or at least general slowness" is detectable in K systems, then you on average meet each other when M*K~N. (Similar to birthday problem. Exact chance to meet is P=1-(N-M)!*(N-K)!/(N!*(N-M-K)!) ) For 1000 system start and scouts with good sensors on both sides 26 and 26 systems for 50% chance may be quite fast and reasonable. If the NPR is on a far "side" of a binary or mineral crashes early - good luck finding him at K=1.
Pages: 1 ... 774 775 [776] 777 778 ... 1347