Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 765 766 [767] 768 769 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2818768 times)

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #11490 on: September 13, 2012, 10:51:11 pm »

Well here is my first kick at military ships for this scenario, keep in mind that its not optimized or anything because the way I want the scenario to run and the fact that the ships are supposed to be old obsolete vessels salvaged for a last resort.

Spoiler: Hornet class Fighter (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Nimitz Class Frigate (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Virgina class Carrier (click to show/hide)

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11491 on: September 13, 2012, 11:11:42 pm »

You'll want more engineering spaces on all the large ships, at least so that their MSP is greater than their max repair. I usually aim for a Maintance life of 2 years, but at the very least you'll want your carrier to last more than the week it's currently slated for. I'd recommend having separate fire controls for the laser turrets and the railguns on your ships as well, and maybe more than one FC for the railgun batteries so they can target multiple hostiles at once. Get rid of the shields on all your ships: they aren't useful at that tech level (and even then they don't help if you only use one of them). Put more than one layer of armor on the carrier and frigate as well, they might not even be able to survive even one missile hit as they are. I'd

The fighter is kind of a mess. I'd recommend splitting it into two designs: one with missiles and one with railguns (if you really want to go with beam-armed fighters, they are kind of useless imo). Also, I don't know what kind of missile you're using, but the missile FC on the fighter has a range of 300 mkm, but your active sensor will only see targets out to 9 mkm. At least build the active sensor up to the range of the missile.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11492 on: September 13, 2012, 11:13:01 pm »

Having more than one TF is really if you have lots of spare officers and want to RP a more divided fleet control.  Say putting flag bridges on command ships with each fleet to follow them around.
Task forces do absolutely nothing for giving officers assignments beyond allowing you to assemble multiple staff cabinets; typically you'll end up with better bonuses if you only have a single TF, as only the very best officers are on staff. The only purpose to having multiple task forces is if you want to bother building a (poorly organized, obtuse) table of organization, which serves quite literally no purpose within the game. Even AARs tend to not mention anything related to a TO. Everything that you can RP with multiple TFs can be done more easily with a united Fleet HQ TF divided into multiple bureaus and fleet commands.

adwarf:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

In case you couldn't tell, that mortally offended my internal designer and internal engineer.  :P No insults intended towards you personally. If you need help in creating efficient designs, just ask. Remember that just because a ship is outdated doesn't mean it's crap; an old ship should still be fairly effective fighting machine against a comparable level of technology, not a random pile of stuff thrown together.

The gist is this: They can't see anything, they can't go anywhere worth going to, and they'll fall apart practically as soon as they leave orbit.

Edit: Wow. Maybe I shouldn't reread the ANGRY MARINE codex while high on post-successful-exam, sleep deprivation, and about a gallon of strong coffee. I think I said goodbye to my inhibitions a few islands back.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 11:17:01 pm by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #11493 on: September 13, 2012, 11:25:38 pm »

I'm glad I never posted that 4-gauss turret fac, that would have caused you a heart attack  :P

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11494 on: September 13, 2012, 11:29:43 pm »

I'm glad I never posted that 4-gauss turret fac, that would have caused you a heart attack  :P
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF-

3. Run Resize Enable

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11495 on: September 14, 2012, 12:14:39 am »

Actually TF cabinets (as long as this is still functional) only provide their bonuses to ships with in it's TF while those fleets are in the same system as it.  So that is the whole reason for flag bridges, other than getting 7 extra officers killed with your command ship.

On that note: I've never made more than one, since most of my games don't go on long enough for me to expand far enough that I set up a second permanent focal point other than my HW.  Let alone having spare officers of suitable rank (what with my minimum level 3 training policy).

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11496 on: September 14, 2012, 12:25:02 am »

Actually TF cabinets (as long as this is still functional) only provide their bonuses to ships with in it's TF while those fleets are in the same system as it.  So that is the whole reason for flag bridges, other than getting 7 extra officers killed with your command ship.

On that note: I've never made more than one, since most of my games don't go on long enough for me to expand far enough that I set up a second permanent focal point other than my HW.  Let alone having spare officers of suitable rank (what with my minimum level 3 training policy).

Your training policy level doesn't affect how many officers you recruit, it affects the amount of crew produced per year and the initial training level of non-conscript crewed ships. The only thing that changes how many officers you recruit (on average, of course) is the level of your academy.

In any case, establishing a second TF would be largely pointless; if I ever needed the bonuses (other than the training) that desperately, I'd assign the FHQ to a flagship; no point sending out officers with bonuses that aren't the best if you're going to do it at all. The nature of Aurora AI makes it unlikely in the extreme that you'll ever be in a situation where you need to conduct two full, simultaneous fleet offenses in different systems.

3. Run Resize Enable

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #11497 on: September 14, 2012, 02:09:42 am »

Once I start exploring out of Sol I'll usually be running four TF HQ's.

Training HQ - Just commander + op's officer with highest crew training ratings - For fleet training of new ships.

Survey HQ - Just commander + survey officer - Rides along with the survey swarm.

Expeditionary HQ - All bar survey officer(and fighter ops if no fighters) - Travels with combat forces for operating outside of Sol.

Sol HQ - All bar survey officer(and fighter ops if no fighters) - Everything else.

More HQ's may be set up later to cover other major systems.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11498 on: September 14, 2012, 10:23:35 am »

Mm, my survey efforts are too dispersed for that to work for me.

3. Run Resize Enable

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11499 on: September 14, 2012, 10:24:59 am »

I didn't quite mean to spark that discussion, but I'm gonna stick to one TF from now on.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11500 on: September 14, 2012, 11:23:52 am »

If I'm to be perfectly honest, TFs are one of the things which fall under the umbrella of 'too much uninteresting micro', at least for me. :|

3. Run Resize Enable

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #11501 on: September 14, 2012, 04:02:38 pm »

So,Dl'd it, and have no idea what I am doing. Any good beginner's guide?

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11502 on: September 14, 2012, 04:09:01 pm »

No, but if you look around on here there are a lot of bad beginner's guides. :)

EDIT: Actually, the beginner's guides on the wiki now seem to be significantly better than the ones I had to use, so there's that.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11503 on: September 14, 2012, 04:13:56 pm »

The beginner's guide is a ten-pound hammer. The game is an anvil. Insert hand to play.

I jest. Follow the partially-completed guides until you get stumped, then ask us. I'm a chronic shut-in and don't have anything better to do than continually refresh B12 waiting for new responses.

That was a joke, mostly. I also have games.  :P

3. Run Resize Enable

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #11504 on: September 14, 2012, 04:18:38 pm »

Any...Outstanding bugs I should be aware of?

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.
Pages: 1 ... 765 766 [767] 768 769 ... 1347