Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 764 765 [766] 767 768 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2818683 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #11475 on: September 13, 2012, 01:26:11 pm »

Yeah, but then the idea is to build it with massive fuel tanks, dump most of the fuel back into planetary stocks upon completion, and then go out to the GG with just enough fuel to get you there. Then either:

1. Come back home, dump most of your fuel, go back out.
2. Go to a nearby fuel depot and most of your fuel, go back out.
3. Hang out in orbit and refuel ships that stop by.

If it's a Sorium-rich GG and there aren't any habitable worlds in-system (and especially if it's along a main travel route), I like to use orbital stations towed into place rather than mobile harvesters. Combine that with some Maintenance Storage Bays and Maintenance Modules, and you have a perfect forward operating base for scout ships to refuel and refit, greatly extending your exploratory range.

EDIT: Forgot that Maintenance Storage Bays are deemed military equipment, and military orbitals without sufficient planetary maintenance support are in for a world of hurt.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 01:32:23 pm by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11476 on: September 13, 2012, 02:05:55 pm »

I was already planning a campaign where I played a race that built several massive habs to be towed around nomad style (Not a completely nomadic race, but with moving fleets of orbitals to support expansion and the fleet).  With the coming update this style will be perfect.

One hab design will bring fuel harvesters and fuel storage, second will bring maint bays with cargo space for minerals, third will bring along people to run R&R facilities for my forward fleets.  Possibly a fourth will bring teraformers to leave habitable worlds in the wake of the forward fleet base.

Hmm, now that I think of it; a fifth to bring troops and PDC parts to assemble PDCs at each base location as a permanent guard if I want to keep the system even after I move out.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11477 on: September 13, 2012, 05:17:34 pm »

Well I've managed to get a bit into this game finally, got my first survey ship constructed. Only problem is how do I have it survey mars?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11478 on: September 13, 2012, 05:24:09 pm »

Well I've managed to get a bit into this game finally, got my first survey ship constructed. Only problem is how do I have it survey mars?
Open the Task Groups window. Select the TG your survey ship is in from the dropdown bar at the top left. Click the Special Orders/Organization tab. In the bottom left corner of the tab, there are two dropdown bars labelled Primary and Secondary under the heading Default Orders. Set the Primary bar to 'Survey next five system bodies'. Bam, the ship will autosurvey everything in the system and will do the same if you move it to another. DOs are the only way you can deal with surveying systems without going insane.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11479 on: September 13, 2012, 05:30:42 pm »

Ah, thank you very much for that now to begin prepping terraformers and colony ships!

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11480 on: September 13, 2012, 07:13:25 pm »

How do I add a task group to a new fleet? Also:
I'm getting the msstdfmt error when you press F9 on XP. I do have the dll, but it is still giving me the error. Any help?
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11481 on: September 13, 2012, 07:43:50 pm »

I've never heard the problem happening for XP. Did you try using F9 before getting the file?

Is the DLL in the Aurora folder, or in the System32 folder? Did you register it?

Also, according to the forums, installing this will fix Aurora. And you can uninstall it later and Aurora will still work. Haven't tried it myself, though. But you can try it if you want.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 07:45:37 pm by Tarran »
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11482 on: September 13, 2012, 09:16:03 pm »

Alright, that fixed it. However, when I increase grid size above 6 in the galactic map, all systems smush together. Also, earlier question of how to add a task group to a new fleet stands.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11483 on: September 13, 2012, 09:35:13 pm »

There are lots of ways to move ships from one fleet to another; the Special Orders/ Organization tab for one, and the join or absorb order for two and three.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11484 on: September 13, 2012, 09:38:19 pm »

Yeah, but my problem is creating a task group in the other fleet in the first place. Your suggestions assume Fleet 2 already has a TG. Is there a button/series of buttons I need to press in order to add a TG to a new fleet?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11485 on: September 13, 2012, 09:45:48 pm »

Be perfectly clear on what you're talking about. Task GROUP, Task FORCE, or some arbitrary fluff you've made up that isn't reflected in the game. What do you mean when you say "fleet"?

1. If you are trying to create a new task group for ships to be added to, there is a button at the bottom left of the TG window.

2. If you are trying to move ships into an existing task group, use the lower right section of the SO/O tab in the TG window.

3. If you are trying to move a task group into a different task force, there is a dropdown bar at the top left of the TG window.

4. If you are trying to combine two groups of ships, identify which task groups each are in, then read #2.

3. Run Resize Enable

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11486 on: September 13, 2012, 09:58:18 pm »

3. If you are trying to move a task group into a different task force, there is a dropdown bar at the top left of the TG window.
That doesn't seem to work for me. Are you sure that's how you're supposed to move them between Task Forces?
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11487 on: September 13, 2012, 10:05:08 pm »

That doesn't seem to work for me. Are you sure that's how you're supposed to move them between Task Forces?
Shh, it doesn't really work. ;p

No idea why someone would care that much, barring fluff for a LP. TFs are functionally meaningless; you really just want one if you truly need an organizational aid.

3. Run Resize Enable

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11488 on: September 13, 2012, 10:11:43 pm »

Is there a guide somewhere to terraforming, and using SM? I'm currently messing around trying to make a scenario of sorts and I'm a total newb at this so those would be much appreciated :P

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11489 on: September 13, 2012, 10:22:38 pm »

Having more than one TF is really if you have lots of spare officers and want to RP a more divided fleet control.  Say putting flag bridges on command ships with each fleet to follow them around.
Pages: 1 ... 764 765 [766] 767 768 ... 1347