Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 699 700 [701] 702 703 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2815989 times)

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #10500 on: June 05, 2012, 11:08:58 am »

hm. trying to remove a couple of faulty PDC ( had a fuel tank, spammed me with out of fuel messages), I accidentally removed 2 of my terraformer ships.
how do I use SM mode to give me some ships? last time I had to SM me a jump gate builder ( had jump gates on all jump points enabled, but it seems it doesn't work well with jump points already discovered at game start), I had to create a giant shipyard, then delete it after I finished building the ship (couldn't even find how to rush the project :()

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10501 on: June 05, 2012, 11:23:42 am »

Once SM mode is on, there is a Fast OOB button somewhere that let you spawn ships.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10502 on: June 05, 2012, 11:27:52 am »

ah, thank you! found!

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10503 on: June 05, 2012, 05:03:13 pm »

Good god. Proxima Centauri A-I has a colony cost of 124.09. The surface temperature is 2917.6 degrees Celsius, or 5283.68 degrees Fahrenheit. The atmosphere is 95% carbon dioxide and 5% nitrogen. Orbital distance is 765,000 kilometers and the atmosphere is 24 times as dense as the Earth's.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #10504 on: June 05, 2012, 05:29:27 pm »

It's an effort to make things slightly more secure. Basically copying the Unix method of making you run things that make certain types of changes as root, or at least with specific privledges. It's just where in Unix and Linux, you grow up with that kind of clunkiness of "you approach a door, it's locked." "Use key on door." "Door opens." Up until recently, none of Microsoft's doors were locked, or if they were you were never expected to need to go through them anyway. These days they've started locking their doors, but users are still just assuming "Well, if it's locked, I guess I don't need to go in there."

I have no problem with keeping things from running without my permission, but my trying to run the program should both unlock and go through the door.  Bring back the auto-unlock feature!  I've never wanted to run a program as tiny Mario, I always wanna be big!

Good god. Proxima Centauri A-I has a colony cost of 124.09. The surface temperature is 2917.6 degrees Celsius, or 5283.68 degrees Fahrenheit. The atmosphere is 95% carbon dioxide and 5% nitrogen. Orbital distance is 765,000 kilometers and the atmosphere is 24 times as dense as the Earth's.
Just be thankful the colony cost is due to heat and pressure.  You can fix that stuff.  And without anything poisonous in the atmosphere, all you have to do is bleed CO2.  Oh, and add oxygen when you're down to colony cost 2, but that is kinda long-term...

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10505 on: June 05, 2012, 05:52:13 pm »

Aren't there limits, though? You can only pump so many anti-greenhouse gasses into the atmosphere to reduce temperature, unless one of the newer versions added additional ways to adjust planetary temps.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10506 on: June 05, 2012, 06:07:58 pm »

Found another one. This one has a cost of 137.60, surface temperature of 3230.5 C and is 98% carbon dioxide/2% sulphur dioxide. 16.8 pressure, no hydrosphere.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10507 on: June 05, 2012, 06:08:29 pm »

well, removing 24 atm of CO2 is probably a good starting point, if he decides to cool the plant.
but I think that there is no limit to anti greenhouse gas.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10508 on: June 05, 2012, 06:14:54 pm »

Isn't it the same 3 atm limit as greenhouse gas?

EDIT: Apparently not.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 06:18:40 pm by Karlito »
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10509 on: June 05, 2012, 06:18:57 pm »

not sure. either way, he should have enough room to bring the planet to a point where infrastructure might work.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #10510 on: June 05, 2012, 06:28:48 pm »

You are still limited by the maximum atmospheric pressure of the species for how much anti-greenhouse gas you can add.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #10511 on: June 05, 2012, 06:53:39 pm »

Yeah, Vista and Windows 7 "Administrator" is crap.  Why can't I ALWAYS run as administrator?  It's my f&#@ing computer.
You can, actually... you just don't know how. The feature is there to prevent people who don't know any better from running any old program which makes direct changes to certain data structures and registries which could absolutely fuck your computer.

So really it's a good feature. Windows 7, if you know what you're doing, is quite admin-friendly. Far more so than XP, and I've used both for years professionally.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10512 on: June 05, 2012, 06:54:23 pm »

You are still limited by the maximum atmospheric pressure of the species for how much anti-greenhouse gas you can add.
Still, Anti-GH gas is very potent and I don't think you'll ever, ever need to hit that limit when cooling down a planet. Just .6 Atm of Anti-GH gas brings Mercury in my game down to ~22 degrees C even with a 1.1 atm atmosphere. Assuming my calculations are correct and Jacob's hottest planet is at the Greenhouse limit, the base temperature should be about 1167.88333~ K. To reduce it to 295K (22C), he would need to bring it down to ~.25 of it's base temperature. Since Anti-GH gas reduces the Greenhouse effect pretty much directly, he needs but around .8 atms or so, correcting for the greenhouse effect from the amount of gas.

Isn't it the same 3 atm limit as greenhouse gas?

EDIT: Apparently not.
No, there's absolutely no gas limit. There's a limit on the Greenhouse EFFECT, at x3, but no gas limit. In addition, I don't think there's an anti-greenhouse effect limit.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10513 on: June 05, 2012, 08:08:30 pm »

Welp, I'm done for. 3 ships with a thermal sig of 12800 and a speed of 15999 km/s, 2 ships with a sig of 5120 and 10 ships with a sig of 3520, all belonging to the Invaders just jumped in to Sol from the Ross 248 jump point. It was a decent run, only 13 years in.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 08:10:10 pm by Jacob/Lee »

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10514 on: June 05, 2012, 08:24:32 pm »

Ok, I'm now going to start trying to play this game. Wish me luck.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!
Pages: 1 ... 699 700 [701] 702 703 ... 1347