Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 698 699 [700] 701 702 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2815988 times)

Nilum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #10485 on: June 04, 2012, 01:22:15 pm »

Is there any sort of automation at all?... I've gone through the tutorials on the wiki, and the game is sweepingly complex and quite interesting, but manually ordering factories and mines and such and shipping them out to all of my colonies is horribly repetitive. The micromanagement, from what I've seen so far, is going to be crippling. Just managing Earth's production alone is a hassle, ignoring any other colonies.
Ridiculous.  All that it is to be human can be summarised by friendship, love or mecha.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #10486 on: June 04, 2012, 01:23:52 pm »

Is there any sort of automation at all?... I've gone through the tutorials on the wiki, and the game is sweepingly complex and quite interesting, but manually ordering factories and mines and such and shipping them out to all of my colonies is horribly repetitive. The micromanagement, from what I've seen so far, is going to be crippling. Just managing Earth's production alone is a hassle, ignoring any other colonies.
What kind of automation do you want? You can set things to repeat orders, repeat build, etc but for the majority of things you will WANT to control them to avoid waste or make sure things happen correctly

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10487 on: June 04, 2012, 01:57:00 pm »

There is automation, but Aurora is definitely micromanagement heavy. Not because of a lack of automation, but simply because there's so much going on.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10488 on: June 04, 2012, 02:02:44 pm »

You can give "cycle orders" to fleet. (For exemple, go to Earth, load mines, go to mars, dump mine, pick up mineral, dump them on Earth, refuel and re-start). You can also give them conditional order, so your survey fleet can do the surveying pretty much on their own.

Having civilians also reduce the micro-management, as you can just ask a colony to send so many whatever and another colony to get them, and they'll make the run.

Apart from that, there is a lot of management involved, but it's manageable. But yeah, Aurora is a micro game on a macro scale.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10489 on: June 04, 2012, 09:51:33 pm »

I have a question, i'll search through this page for answers and probably eventually find something, but i'm going to ask here first, how the frak, do i generate more money? I've been in debt for a few years and have started economising by cutting back on ship building, changed my +25% factory administrator to a +25% wealth one, etc, in order to stop being in debt, but my otehr efforts to generate cash aren't as immediately effective.
My colony on mars doesn't seem to be generating trade, it's only 20 million in pop atm, but  i'm not seeing a significant increase in income, does the colony need a spaceport or something to increase income? Also i've researched that civilian econ +20% tech a few times and it always looks like my expenses go up by 20% as well, or maybe it's just my research doing it and i haven't noticed.
Also, financial centers, LOL, woefully inefficient, quick calculation shows that i could build 80 a year as long as my resource supplies hold out (they won't) OR, i could build 9600 infrastructure a year , and which would allow mars to hold 44 million more population. On the surface it seems good, the centers/each million population both make 2.4 million income each, so the infrastructure would make half the income, BUT as mars gets more population it's trade income would go up, also i have millions of easily accessable duranium on multiple mining colonys, whereas uridium and vendarite i have only a few hundred k on only 2 colonies.
EDIT: TLDR, i dont seem to be generation any trade income, do i need to build anything to get trade, or is it entirely dependant on the whim on civilian freighters?
EDIT EDIT: So ifinished a spaceport and now i seem to have trade income, praise the Traders!
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 10:37:52 pm by MarcAFK »
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10490 on: June 04, 2012, 09:54:46 pm »

Extrasolar colonies (to spur trade), cutting back on construction, wealth bonus admins, (IIRC) retiring ships, and the civ economy tech.

Incidentally, this is why I always do conventional starts: you get 20-30 years of building up wealth before you get deep enough into T/N tech to be producing more than you can support with your income.

Also note that conquering enemy planets will give you wealth as reparations/spoilers of war.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10491 on: June 05, 2012, 12:54:41 am »

So I spent forever some time ago trying to get Aurora to run on my new laptop. It constantly spit out errors related to TABCTL32.ocx. I gave up eventually.

Months later (now) I try it again. I almost gave up after spending at least an hour and a half trying to get it to work, looking all over the Aurora forums. Then, as a last resort, I try running Aurora as the administrator. That friendly little "new game" window pops up.

Cue me almost breaking my desk in half with my fist. At least I get to play now!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10492 on: June 05, 2012, 12:56:01 am »

Pretty sure that's on most of the "how do I get it to run" lists over on the Aurora forums, too.  :P

3. Run Resize Enable

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10493 on: June 05, 2012, 01:20:23 am »

Pretty sure that's on most of the "how do I get it to run" lists over on the Aurora forums, too.  :P
Oh no, most of the answers tell you to (un)register the file. That didn't work, it always spit out an error trying to (un)register it.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10494 on: June 05, 2012, 08:54:46 am »

In any case, glad you got it working.

3. Run Resize Enable

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #10495 on: June 05, 2012, 09:09:02 am »

Yeah, Vista and Windows 7 "Administrator" is crap.  Why can't I ALWAYS run as administrator?  It's my f&#@ing computer.

It's almost as bad as the "mature content protection" on my PS2 that keeps asking for a code on PG-13 movies.  Sigh

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10496 on: June 05, 2012, 09:22:28 am »

It's an effort to make things slightly more secure. Basically copying the Unix method of making you run things that make certain types of changes as root, or at least with specific privledges. It's just where in Unix and Linux, you grow up with that kind of clunkiness of "you approach a door, it's locked." "Use key on door." "Door opens." Up until recently, none of Microsoft's doors were locked, or if they were you were never expected to need to go through them anyway. These days they've started locking their doors, but users are still just assuming "Well, if it's locked, I guess I don't need to go in there."

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10497 on: June 05, 2012, 10:29:31 am »

sudo make me a sandwich?

Any updates as far as the release for 5.7?

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10498 on: June 05, 2012, 10:35:12 am »

Nope, Steve hasn't posted for a week so there's no way to know when the release will be.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10499 on: June 05, 2012, 10:37:11 am »

Run everything as administrator, always, all the time. I have to run WinRAR as an admin or it won't extract ANYTHING, kinda weird, really annoying.
Pages: 1 ... 698 699 [700] 701 702 ... 1347