Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 670 671 [672] 673 674 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2815648 times)

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #10065 on: March 20, 2012, 06:03:45 am »

I haven't played for a few months but i should be able to answer this question. First Right click on the planet either in the system map or in the list of planets in the left side of the system map (i forget which tab it is on) and click create colony.
Now you have a colony! You'll need to close and reopen the colony window for it to show up in the list.
Now to actually do something with that colony you'll need to either dump automines there or colonists (you'll need infrastructure to support the colonists if the planet is hostile (colony cost above 1)).
The colony tab will show you how much pop your infrastructure will support and how many people are actually available for working in your facilities (a very high colony cost basically means everyone is working on the life suppoirt and nonoe will be able to work your factories and terraformers etc).
Erm, I kinda forget how to work ships and stuff so you'll need someone else to tell you how to move that stuff there.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10066 on: March 20, 2012, 10:52:30 am »

Thats like saying ww1 is basically like ww2 : P

True, but false.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10067 on: March 20, 2012, 12:02:33 pm »

Thats like saying ww1 is basically like ww2 : P

True, but false.

Well, I'd say it is more like saying that the Falklands War is basically like WW2.  :P

But yeah, open the System Information window and select the system the world in question is in, then select the planet, then click "Add Colony" or w/e on the bottom row of buttons. Alternately, just start dropping colonists or installations and it will automatically become a colony. If the colony cost isn't 0.00, you'll need infrastructure to support your colonists; the amount depends on how high the colony cost is. You can eventually lower this with terraforming.

As for actually getting stuff there: Design two ships:

One should have cryogenic modules, as well as all the things you need for any functional nonmilitary ship (commercial engines, fuel tanks, etc.), and the other should have cargo holds (the ideal is in multiples of 5, as most installations take up 5 cargo holds), and both should have cargo handling systems.

Once you've build at least one of each, and have built any installations you want to move, set up these orders: order the colony ship to Load Colonists at Earth, and then whatever series of jump transits you need to get it into the system with the colony world, then to Unload Colonists at the colony world. Keep in mind that if it has a cost higher than 0.00, they will start dying right off the bat if you don't have infrastructure.

For the freighter: Load [Installation name] at Earth, the same series of transits (if any), Unload [Installation name] at the colony world. Note that if you have more to move than your freighter can carry in one trip (you will), you need to order it to carry only what it can, then return, then load more, etc. If you are transporting the same type of installation multiple times, you can use the 'repeat' checkbox and counter after setting up the first full two-way trip orders to duplicate them 40 times or whatever you want. The same can be used for repeat trips for colony ships. Remember to drop refuel orders into the end of the trip to avoid ships running out of fuel or cancelling orders to refuel.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10068 on: March 20, 2012, 03:46:17 pm »

Usually I design my freighters in exactly the same manner as I design my Colony ships. except twice as many cryo trans since cryo trans takes half as much space as a cargo hold. Then i can build my freighters and my colony ships out of the same shipyard.

Canuhearmenow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10069 on: March 26, 2012, 04:10:29 pm »

How does one actually use an Asteroid Mining module? I got two ships equipped with 6 modules each orbiting an asteroid known to contain minerals, but nothing's happening.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #10070 on: March 26, 2012, 04:33:08 pm »

You need a colony on the asteroid. Then they'll start mining. The resources will collect on the asteroid surface.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Canuhearmenow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10071 on: March 26, 2012, 06:21:10 pm »

Colony as in... Just setting it as Colony on the Fleets screen? Sounds easy enough.

I've also been having a hassle with terraforming; I found a gaggle of col cost 2 worlds with no atmo, reasonable temperatures (ideal range for Humans) and near-Earth gravity (.7 to 1.02 range) however, for some reason they're refusing to lower in cost as I'm terraforming them.

For example, I'm at like .2 Oxygen and .35 Nitrogen (and rising) for a world with a temperature of 8.6 C (under the temp radius for Humans, it's supposed to be 0 to 40 C) and gravity of .78, yet it's still labeled as a Col cost 2 world, what am I doing wrong? I'll get some pics in a bit to clarify.

Looking over the images, I'm beginning to think it might have to do with Base Temperature in Celsius, how exactly am I supposed to lower that without the others suffering? Pump in water (since it apparently lacks the stuff?)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 06:26:47 pm by Canuhearmenow »

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #10072 on: March 26, 2012, 06:30:07 pm »

Colony as in... Just setting it as Colony on the Fleets screen? Sounds easy enough.

You can set a world as a colony using one of the buttons at the bottom of the system information screen, or by right clicking on the planet on the system map.

The reason that the colony cost isn't dropping below 2.0 is because the atmosphere is still not breathable. This is due to the percentage of oxygen in the total atmosphere is above 30%.

edit: In greater detail the colony cost for a world is the greater of the variable cost based on temp or 2.0 if the atmosphere is unbreathable. Once you have cooled/warmed a planet so that the cost due to temprature has dropped below 2.0 you will see no further change until there is a breathable atmosphere.

There are three reasons for an atmosphere being unbreathable; presence of a toxic gas, oxygen above/below racial tolerance levels and oxygen being above 30% of the total atmosphere.

Note; if you have a race of methane breathers, swap methane for oxygen in all of this.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 06:41:39 pm by Metalax »
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10073 on: March 26, 2012, 06:31:01 pm »

The 2 cost is probably from an unbreathable atmosphere. Has the game told you that the atmosphere on those planets is breathable yet? I've always found that creating a breathable atmosphere can be very finicky.

EDIT: Ninja'd.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #10074 on: March 26, 2012, 07:15:49 pm »

Open up the System Information Screen.  It lays out the reasons for the colony costs when you select them.  The highest number is the one used by the game.

Canuhearmenow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10075 on: March 26, 2012, 07:21:29 pm »

Thanks guys, but it apparently clicked straight to Col Cost 0 upon reaching an atmospheric pressure of .8. Time to move this fleet on to other worlds (currently maxing out at .0855 atmosphere per year, it's terrifying.)

Now all I need to know is how to lower/raise the temperature on a planet via terraforming, and I'm set to get quite a few more garden worlds by 2100, is it just a matter of pumping in anti-greenhouse gases/safe greenhouse gases?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10076 on: March 26, 2012, 07:23:24 pm »

Yeah, that is quite possibly because of your atmospheric balance. 0.2atm oxygen and 0.35atm nitrogen would be unbreathable; the atmosphere must be less than 30% oxygen to be breathable.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10077 on: March 26, 2012, 07:23:53 pm »

Yeah, you can substitute CO2 for safe greenhouse gas if you want. The formula is right in the terraforming window so work out how much pressure you need beforehand, since a little greenhouse gas can have a pretty large impact on the temperature.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10078 on: March 26, 2012, 07:38:38 pm »

Oddly enough more than 30% Oxygen makes your planet uninhabitable but you can have C02 as high as necessary to make your planet warm enough (in reality more than 5% would be pretty much fatal).
Also i'm assuming that when you doubled your atmospheric pressure to .8 you left oxygen at .2 which eventually made it less than 30%
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #10079 on: March 26, 2012, 07:52:26 pm »

The game now simulates the ice deposits on a planet melting.  I'm not sure exactly what it does, but it does lead to large temperature jumps when they melt.
Pages: 1 ... 670 671 [672] 673 674 ... 1347