Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 672 673 [674] 675 676 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2815485 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #10095 on: March 27, 2012, 06:01:09 am »

Good spot for a hellish research base where you send your most useless scientists!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10096 on: March 27, 2012, 07:58:02 am »

Or for a hidden rebel base.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Canuhearmenow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10097 on: March 27, 2012, 08:19:37 am »

Hiding out on an iceball instead of fighting like real men? Rebel scum.

Or you could turn it into a more extreme Noveria, do all of your genetic testing on that world, anything that escapes will probably freeze to death quite quickly.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 08:21:09 am by Canuhearmenow »

Canuhearmenow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10098 on: March 27, 2012, 08:22:09 am »

I just... This is odd.

I was exploring a system, minding my own business when BAM! I randomly discovered a system as the game was beginning to get really, really laggy. The system is an extreme "Do want" one, since it has a natural col cost 0 world and three other terrestrials that are probably brimming with resources. There's only one issue, what is it you may ask? I don't have a ship in the system, in fact it doesn't even have jump points. Now the game is getting hilariously laggy and refuses to go further then 1 day at a time.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 08:42:13 am by Canuhearmenow »

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10099 on: March 28, 2012, 01:42:38 pm »

I just... This is odd.

I was exploring a system, minding my own business when BAM! I randomly discovered a system as the game was beginning to get really, really laggy. The system is an extreme "Do want" one, since it has a natural col cost 0 world and three other terrestrials that are probably brimming with resources. There's only one issue, what is it you may ask? I don't have a ship in the system, in fact it doesn't even have jump points. Now the game is getting hilariously laggy and refuses to go further then 1 day at a time.

two nprs fighting drop to 5 minute time turns until they finish fighting

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10100 on: March 29, 2012, 10:35:20 am »

I just... This is odd.

Do you have any allies? Might have gotten the survey data from them. Or via an espionage mission.

Or Occam's Razor...it's a bug.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Canuhearmenow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10101 on: March 29, 2012, 02:26:50 pm »

Before I waste Research on it; does the Sorium Harvester extract Sorium from a Gas Giant? Or does it directly convert it into fuel? If it converts it into fuel, what does it do if you have, say, a few cargo pods and a full tank of fuel? I'm looking less for direct Sorium-fuel conversion, and more just raw Sorium production (for shipbuilding and all that.)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 02:28:48 pm by Canuhearmenow »

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10102 on: March 29, 2012, 02:47:50 pm »

Before I waste Research on it; does the Sorium Harvester extract Sorium from a Gas Giant? Or does it directly convert it into fuel? If it converts it into fuel, what does it do if you have, say, a few cargo pods and a full tank of fuel? I'm looking less for direct Sorium-fuel conversion, and more just raw Sorium production (for shipbuilding and all that.)
It converts directly into fuel, and it stores it in fuel tanks. It will do nothing (as far as I know) if your fuel tanks are full.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Canuhearmenow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10103 on: March 29, 2012, 05:35:18 pm »

Here comes yet another question; to get rid of the pesky unrest that comes with having no military in a system with a colony, do you just have to garrison a few Garrison Battalions? Or need an active military fleet presence.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10104 on: March 29, 2012, 05:45:22 pm »

You need to garrison ground units prepositional to the size of the colony to fully remove the unrest as it comes, otherwise you'll only remove some of the unrest. I'm not sure of the exact ratio. Regardless, you will still get message spam even if you have ground units on the planets. You'll need an actual military fleet/PDC presence to stop the messages.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10105 on: March 29, 2012, 06:24:54 pm »

The conventional ICBM bases work wonders for population control in that regard.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10106 on: March 29, 2012, 07:00:04 pm »

The conventional ICBM bases work wonders for population control in that regard.

What, how do missile bases reduce ire feelings of the colonists?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10107 on: March 29, 2012, 07:43:10 pm »

It's due to the size of their missile silos I'm pretty sure, regardless of how effective those silos actually are.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10108 on: March 29, 2012, 10:08:16 pm »

Yep. Of course, most small colonies can be pacified for years with a squadron of FACs.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Canuhearmenow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10109 on: March 30, 2012, 01:03:05 am »

Ok guys, I'm going to need a crash course in warfare, since I just encountered my first alien race and, predictably, they were total dicks and blew up my Scout.

And when I mean crash course, I mean I don't even know how to properly design a military vessel even though I have some fairly good tech in that regard. I'm heavily invested into Kinetic weapons, particularly Gauss Cannons (Rate of Fire 3 Velocity 2) and Railguns (25cm Velocity 5) while my missile tech's average, with only a few upgrades here and there. I think I'm doing good with defense, since I have Ceramic Composite and Delta Shields (regen 2.5.)
Pages: 1 ... 672 673 [674] 675 676 ... 1347