Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 627 628 [629] 630 631 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2817949 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #9420 on: January 04, 2012, 03:28:39 pm »

Of course, you won't be launching any successful boarding actions against targets with functional weapons or many functional engines, which basically means you'll only be boarding near-wrecks and commercial ships, which would suggest that there won't be much crew left to offer resistance.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9421 on: January 04, 2012, 04:05:50 pm »

Boarding actions are basically for trolling the AI.

im in ur fleet, boarding ur vessel

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9422 on: January 04, 2012, 04:38:36 pm »

Boarding actions are basically for trolling the AI.

im in ur fleet, boarding ur vessel

It's also useful for gathering intel and scientific data.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9423 on: January 04, 2012, 04:49:02 pm »

"Sir, the enemy has formed a pike and shield wall in the corridor leading to the bridge!"

"What are they, space Romans? You have a plasma caster, marine, use it!"

Yeah, don't think that would work, unless it was an AU with schizo tech.

Hahahaha, thank you for giving me a ridiculous image and making me spout my drink everywhere.

Does anyone other then me play this by the seat of their pants? The wiki is rather empty, so the game is pretty much learn-as-you-go anywho. I currently have Earth and Mars as true populated planets, with scattered mining colonies on the Inner Belt. I assume since I havent marked any asteroids in the Outer Belt that Civilian Mining Colonies won't mark them as possible destinations? Or do I just need to survey and find geologic materials, and the populace figures it out from there? (Oh! The government found a bunch of minerals? And they don't have the time to mine it themselves!)

Also, how do asteroid mining modules work? I've tried doing ANYTHING to get some sort of production with these, but the ships with them installed fail to mine anything, even if on the asteroid (while marked as a colony, I read that it needs to be in order to work right) with plenty of fuel and such. What am I doing wrong?
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9424 on: January 04, 2012, 04:55:22 pm »

Except that as others have noted, if you're actually capable of successfully intercepting and boarding an enemy craft, you probably don't need their tech all that badly.

I've considered SM'ing up a scenario game where you start as Earth with one extremely advanced ship (discovered on the Moon or something similar), but little to no tech outside of ground troop tech. The ship would be outfitted with boarding pods, armored, shielded, good weapons and capable of 15,000 km/s+ speed. Then spawn a hostile NPR with established OOB a few jumps away.

While the player would have initial success using it as a one-man war fleet, eventually shit's going to get broken, and they're not going to have the tech to replace it. So one option would be to use it to capture enemy ships and build up the Human fleet and/or disassemble like crazy to try and get tech'ed up in a hurry.

@Mictlantecuhtli:
You need to have done a geosurvey on any rock before civvies will colonize it. I typically make a tiny commercial ship with an engine and geosensor, and cut it loose on automated orders to survey the next 5 system bodies. Eventually it'll complete a full sweep of the system (unless you have some comet or whatnot that's waaaaaaay outside the rest of the system).

The way asteroid miners work is they mine the ore and dump it on the surface. If you check the target colony you're mining, you should see stockpiles of minerals steadily increase. You can either drop a mass driver or two to send the ore somewhere else, or send the occasional cargo ship for an ore run.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9425 on: January 04, 2012, 05:00:40 pm »

The way asteroid miners work is they mine the ore and dump it on the surface. If you check the target colony you're mining, you should see stockpiles of minerals steadily increase. You can either drop a mass driver or two to send the ore somewhere else, or send the occasional cargo ship for an ore run.

Well, the thing is, my two Urist Class vessels (with two mining modules a piece) have produced zero minerals, even after 2+ years stationed on the same asteroid. Am I missing a command somewhere? I don't see anything special under their orders. I was under the assumption that they should just... work. I mean, that is the point of the asteroid miners, to have a hands-off approach to raping harvesting the universe.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9426 on: January 04, 2012, 05:05:03 pm »

Did you survey those asteroids? They won't gather minerals if there hasn't been a survey, even if they have minerals in the first place.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Canalan

• Bay Watcher
  • A Chainsaw! Find some meat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9427 on: January 04, 2012, 05:05:34 pm »

The asteroid they are currently raping raping has minerals, correct?

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9428 on: January 04, 2012, 05:08:34 pm »

Did you survey those asteroids? They won't gather minerals if there hasn't been a survey, even if they have minerals in the first place.

The asteroid they are currently raping raping has minerals, correct?

I'd hardly waste my Miner's fuel and time by sending them to an unsurveyed/empty asteroid! :p

That's why I'm so confused. It was the first thing that absolutely stumped me, and I STILL cannot figure it out for the life of me.

Canalan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9429 on: January 04, 2012, 05:10:13 pm »

It's just that I sent my autominers to a barren asteroid the first time I used them.  Can you post the component list of the mine ship?

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9430 on: January 04, 2012, 05:20:56 pm »

It's just that I sent my autominers to a barren asteroid the first time I used them.  Can you post the component list of the mine ship?

This is my base mining design, I have it altered for a 2-module or a 1-module+cargo space version. I just took another of my normal Monokassut Class Surveyors and put Ion Engines on it and replaced the sensor array/shields with the mining module. It does everything a ship should, except mining.. It's odd.

Code: [Select]
Urist class Asteroid Miner    7,950 tons     193 Crew     293 BP      TCS 159  TH 285  EM 0
1792 km/s     Armour 1-35     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 3     PPV 0
MSP 69    Max Repair 120 MSP
Asteroid Miner: 1 module(s) producing 30 tons per mineral per annum

Ion Engine E0.72 (2)    Power 142.5    Fuel Use 7.2%    Signature 142.5    Armour 0    Exp 1%
Fuel Capacity 50,000 Litres    Range 157.2 billion km   (1015 days at full power)

This design is classed as a Commercial Vessel for maintenance purposes

Canalan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9431 on: January 04, 2012, 05:29:28 pm »

Hmm...  I see no obvious problem with the design, but then again, I have little to no idea what I'm doing.  Anyways, let me list some solutions.
1) Does the asteroid have a mass driver on it with a set destination?  If so, look for mineral packets.  It may be taking minerals and sending them before you can check on the rock.
2) If you are using miners with cargo space, are the minerals going into the hold?  30 units per annum will not fill a cargo hold in any sane time frame.
3) If you are using the two module model, and you have no mass driver, the minerals will be sitting on the asteroid until you do something with them.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #9432 on: January 04, 2012, 05:34:12 pm »

I myself greatly prefer to use automines. Firstly, they seem to be deployed faster; my freighters can just pick them up and place them ten at a time. Second, Instead of building 300 ion engines, I just need 10 for my freighters, or maybe 20 if I want them to be fast, and then I can use those freighters to do other things while the miners mine.

However, I do use terraformer modules, but I use them in engineless space stations that are moved by tugs. Each station has a large collection of terraform modules.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9433 on: January 04, 2012, 05:35:22 pm »

Hmm...  I see no obvious problem with the design, but then again, I have little to no idea what I'm doing.  Anyways, let me list some solutions.
1) Does the asteroid have a mass driver on it with a set destination?  If so, look for mineral packets.  It may be taking minerals and sending them before you can check on the rock.
2) If you are using miners with cargo space, are the minerals going into the hold?  30 units per annum will not fill a cargo hold in any sane time frame.
3) If you are using the two module model, and you have no mass driver, the minerals will be sitting on the asteroid until you do something with them.

1. Nope. All my Mass Drivers are being produced on Earth and shipped to Venus/Mars to transport materials.

2. Nope, I have 0.0 minerals in the hold.

3. No mass driver, a total of 240k material should be produced annually with my current ships, and yet there is not even a single mineral on the surface. It's rather aggravating. These things sure are expensive for their lack of use..

Canalan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9434 on: January 04, 2012, 05:38:22 pm »

Yeah, it's because of this stuff that I switched to automated mines.  Also, I just wait for the civvies to make mining companies sometimes.
What I would do is use SM to give yourself some automines and turn those mining ships into something else.
Pages: 1 ... 627 628 [629] 630 631 ... 1347