Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 621 622 [623] 624 625 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2818154 times)

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #9330 on: December 28, 2011, 08:05:30 am »

Yay! Christmas Edition!
I'll just start afresh then. :) . . .  :-\ Maybe.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #9331 on: December 28, 2011, 08:23:40 am »

5.56 can be updated without effecting your save and the database update (5.6) is mainly for a few new name themes and a couple of obscure bugfixes. Of course you can always do what I do and keep a labeled copy of the exe in your backup save directory to let you hop back to old campaigns.

Steve doesn't tend to do patch notes for bugfixes, you need to check back from the end of the buglist thread to see what he has commented on being fixed normally.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #9332 on: December 28, 2011, 09:11:44 am »

ok... then does anyone know what changed?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9333 on: December 28, 2011, 05:22:57 pm »

Had a whole day out of town with no internet, so I made quite a bit of progress.  :)

It is currently August of 2041, 26.5 years into my conventional start. I've nearly reached the point where I will begin to develop military vessels; I have put off design for several years in order to develop the capacity to build destroyers, cruisers, carriers, and fighters simultaneously, while also expanding my commercial and survey shipping, along with my industrial base and ground forces. At the current rate, the final wave of research should be completed in early January of 2042.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9334 on: December 29, 2011, 07:56:56 pm »

So I've got a question. I have two (identical) carriers. I want one to carry my fighter bombers, the other to carry my fighters, and both to carry my active sensor craft. Assuming both carriers are in the same fleet, is there a way to have the fighters automatically assigned to the correct mothership as they come off the production line?

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9335 on: December 29, 2011, 07:58:49 pm »

So what was added in the new update? Worth starting over for?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9336 on: December 29, 2011, 08:43:37 pm »

So what was added in the new update? Worth starting over for?

A few minor database changes, so no, if you have any sort of investment in a game. There is a parallel patch with the bugfixes that doesn't erase savegames.

Oh, and here are my absolute crap designs that will possibly become a working navy in a few decades:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 12:30:31 am by Flying Dice »

3. Run Resize Enable

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9337 on: December 30, 2011, 06:02:18 pm »

I like how your fighters only have a six-person crew.  They actually have the small crew that would be expected of fighters.

And they can be flown by a standard troubleshooter team!  Excellent!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9338 on: December 30, 2011, 07:50:00 pm »

As usual, my tech grinding massively outpaces my production capabilities; I'll have M-P drive tech before my first carrier leaves the yards, most likely. It doesn't help that I'm the obsessive type of player who wants ships to be cutting edge, so I have to set certain levels of tech to hit before upgrading my fleet. That said, I'm glad I decided to test the PD strategy of masses of single Gauss turrets this time around, as it has several potential points in favor of it over laser PD.

3. Run Resize Enable

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9339 on: December 30, 2011, 08:51:39 pm »

As usual, my tech grinding massively outpaces my production capabilities; I'll have M-P drive tech before my first carrier leaves the yards, most likely. It doesn't help that I'm the obsessive type of player who wants ships to be cutting edge, so I have to set certain levels of tech to hit before upgrading my fleet. That said, I'm glad I decided to test the PD strategy of masses of single Gauss turrets this time around, as it has several potential points in favor of it over laser PD.

I've found that the best way to keep your ships up to date is to build them current, send them through task force training and then refit to the most recent equipment before they head out. As long as you do this incrementally (including updating the shipyards), it works for just about everything.

The other possible reason your production is so behind is because you build massive ships.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9340 on: December 30, 2011, 11:16:15 pm »

I've found that the best way to keep your ships up to date is to build them current, send them through task force training and then refit to the most recent equipment before they head out. As long as you do this incrementally (including updating the shipyards), it works for just about everything.

The other possible reason your production is so behind is because you build massive ships.

Problem is, the refits usually cost more than building a new one, as I tend to have teched at least one level in pretty much every component by the time anything larger than a frigate gets out of the yards. I'm probably just going to continue to follow real-world models of military development and have the units I'm fielding be about a decade behind cutting-edge tech.

As for why my research is outpacing my production...

Currently, I've got 130 labs with 280 RP base production running at full capacity, and 25% of my construction factories are always dedicated to producing more labs. At the moment I'm researching 7 lower-middle techs (20k-30k required RP each) simultaneously, with full lab assignments for all but two of them, and at the current rate most of them will have completed by the time my 20,000 ton PD cruisers complete (laid down the moment they were designed), and all of them before my first 55,000 ton light carrier (laid down ~3 months after design). I've got my shipbuilding rate at 750 as well (the equivalent to my current research tech), so it isn't a matter of research being way ahead in terms of production modifier, just the sheer number of labs operating at full capacity, which isn't exactly something I want to curtail.

3. Run Resize Enable

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9341 on: December 31, 2011, 02:22:32 am »

Tech advancement will slow down rapidly, at least.

Also, 55,000 tons is a light carrier? That's bigger than my fleet carriers.

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9342 on: December 31, 2011, 09:38:49 am »

Problem is, the refits usually cost more than building a new one, as I tend to have teched at least one level in pretty much every component by the time anything larger than a frigate gets out of the yards. I'm probably just going to continue to follow real-world models of military development and have the units I'm fielding be about a decade behind cutting-edge tech.

Currently, I've got 130 labs with 280 RP base production running at full capacity, and 25% of my construction factories are always dedicated to producing more labs. At the moment I'm researching 7 lower-middle techs (20k-30k required RP each) simultaneously, with full lab assignments for all but two of them, and at the current rate most of them will have completed by the time my 20,000 ton PD cruisers complete (laid down the moment they were designed), and all of them before my first 55,000 ton light carrier (laid down ~3 months after design). I've got my shipbuilding rate at 750 as well (the equivalent to my current research tech), so it isn't a matter of research being way ahead in terms of production modifier, just the sheer number of labs operating at full capacity, which isn't exactly something I want to curtail.

I think the central problem is that your ships are MASSIVE. My fleet carrier is 8,000 tons, by PD destroyers are 4,800 and my missle cruisers are 7,000. In terms of throw weight your ships are slightly more effecient per weight, with the exception of the my carrier, which has 4,000 ton hanger space in an 8,000 ton ship. From my point of view, most of my ability to project force comes from my carrier fleet, everything else protects the carrrier (or hunts star swarm, although I'm still working on that). If you used smaller ships, it would be easier to keep them current.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9343 on: December 31, 2011, 11:11:16 am »

I think the central problem is that your ships are MASSIVE. My fleet carrier is 8,000 tons, by PD destroyers are 4,800 and my missle cruisers are 7,000. In terms of throw weight your ships are slightly more effecient per weight, with the exception of the my carrier, which has 4,000 ton hanger space in an 8,000 ton ship. From my point of view, most of my ability to project force comes from my carrier fleet, everything else protects the carrrier (or hunts star swarm, although I'm still working on that). If you used smaller ships, it would be easier to keep them current.

That is true, and typically my early military mostly consists of frigates and destroyers, but I've noticed an unfortunate pattern: small, low-tech ships tend to get pounded into scrap when up against pretty much anything else, particularly if it is something that can outrun them (aka Precursors, or if the RNG really hates me, Star Swarm). The only effective way I've found to take down Precursors or NPR fleets that outmass me while still at lowish tech (Ion drives, etc.) is to build stuff heavy enough to take hits without popping.

Ultimately, I think what will end up happening is that my ships are going to cost quite a bit to keep them functioning, but they'll provide me with a force that can clear Precursors without losing most of their number. I've tried the small and fast route, and the only thing that has going for it is ease of production. That said, most of the problems with larger ships (specifically, my researchers outpacing production) will go away as I get into higher techs that will take years to complete, rather than months.

Out of curiosity, what general tech level are you at in the game you were referencing? I tend to go with the Frankenstein approach to early ships (if you can't fit what you need in reasonable hulls, build them larger) because it does increase survivability against technologically superior forces, in my experience.

3. Run Resize Enable

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9344 on: December 31, 2011, 12:06:19 pm »

My first generation ships were roughly where you seem to be:

Here's current 3rd generation (aside from the carriers which haven't been upgraded):

Pages: 1 ... 621 622 [623] 624 625 ... 1347