Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 620 621 [622] 623 624 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2818059 times)

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #9315 on: December 27, 2011, 03:36:30 pm »

Updated my post above with more info on terraforming/colonising while everyone else was posting.

One thing to note, civilian shipping lines won't start building ships until they see a need for them so your first colony needs to be set up by yourself. After that you can pretty much use civilian contracts to set up new colonies.

You should probably post the designs for those ships you are using as I suspect that you are using military engines for everything which is causing you problems. You may want to turn off maintainance usage from the game select when you start up until you are familiar with everything else.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #9316 on: December 27, 2011, 04:03:19 pm »

I have a design for a 5-terraformer ship with no additional features. I just use a huge tug to put it in orbit of the destination. Of course, it needs gates to get anywhere, but that's not a serious problem.

My current terraformer for operating within my gate network. Habitat lets me build it with industry instead of having to use my oversize shipyard to build it. This started getting built around 60 years into my current game.

Code: [Select]
Eden class Terraformer    2,760,050 tons     20455 Crew     53203.5 BP      TCS 55201  TH 0  EM 0
1 km/s     Armour 1-1752     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 1     PPV 0
MSP 12    Max Repair 500 MSP
Habitation Capacity 50,000   
Terraformer: 100 module(s) producing 0.3 atm per annum

This design is classed as a Commercial Vessel for maintenance purposes
This design is classed as an Orbital Habitat for construction purposes

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9317 on: December 27, 2011, 04:17:07 pm »

Brilliant responses from all. And yeah, they've turned into wreckages after some time with busted engines. In any case, was down to insufficient attention to Engineering space.

More question!

So, I've transported people and resources to Mars. However, still no estimated finish time for a factory.

Do I need more people? If so, what's the estimated minimum? I mean, it says Available Workers... Am I missing something dumb? :D

A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9318 on: December 27, 2011, 04:19:08 pm »

Brilliant responses from all. And yeah, they've turned into wreckages after some time with busted engines. In any case, was down to insufficient attention to Engineering space.

More question!

So, I've transported people and resources to Mars. However, still no estimated finish time for a factory.

Do I need more people? If so, what's the estimated minimum? I mean, it says Available Workers... Am I missing something dumb? :D

Transport a factory or engineering battalion from Earth. You need production capacity to build more capacity.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9319 on: December 27, 2011, 04:23:25 pm »

Alrighty.

Also, something odd just happened; When I advance time by 30 days, it actually only increases by six hours.

Meanwhile, 8 hours increases by 15 minutes. And so on as affected for all time controls.

I've restarted the game, in case that was the issue. What's happened?
A pool of Dwarven Ale.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9320 on: December 27, 2011, 04:25:46 pm »

Chance are that some NPRs are fighting or getting into trouble somewhere. The entire game advances simultaneously for all races, so if they're getting interrupted, everyone does.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9321 on: December 27, 2011, 04:28:50 pm »

Ah; Turns out, if a ship has a false command (ie, drop off minerals it does not have), it causes the issue. Problem solved. (:
A pool of Dwarven Ale.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9322 on: December 27, 2011, 04:31:13 pm »

Just checking, are you using the Event window? That usually gives a good idea as to why turns are being interrupted.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #9323 on: December 27, 2011, 05:26:44 pm »

Spoiler: Story (click to show/hide)

So yeah, one jump away from earth, there is a alien warship with level-eight nukes. I have three PDCs with size-two countermissiles. I don't even have fighter engines. What I do have:
Ten military magento-plasma drives
A Neutronium shortage
One naval shipyard, though it is nice and large and has five slipways

My current plan is to reorganize all research to make some designs for combat- the smallest torpedo ships I can design, little more than FACs really. Start building more engines and components, putting all civilian construction on hold. Since I only have to move these one jump, and I only have efficiency 4 drives, I will makes these vessels conventional and instead have them cover the jump points. I will meanwhile use a gate ship to make a one-way passage, and then scout out proxima very cautiously, assuming the aliens have not moved into the solar system yet.

My biggest fear is that I will end up besiged by the aliens before my torpedo ships are ready. If they turn proactive, we're in trouble.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9324 on: December 27, 2011, 05:30:20 pm »

Just checking, are you using the Event window? That usually gives a good idea as to why turns are being interrupted.
Not to mention letting you know about all those pesky maintenance failures.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9325 on: December 28, 2011, 01:49:09 am »

Not to mention letting you know about all those pesky maintenance failures.
They also let you know if you have insufficient maintenance capacity for engine repairs.  For ships with larger components, I would suggest installing mainenance storage bays (you may need to research them).  They greatly increase your maintenance capacity.  I'd also suggest installing multiple engines.  Your ships will move faster, it doesn't greatly increase the build time (fraction of a month for each engine), and provides redundancy if a single engine fails (so your ships can limp back home on their own).

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9326 on: December 28, 2011, 02:31:02 am »

For ships with larger components, I would suggest installing mainenance storage bays (you may need to research them).  They greatly increase your maintenance capacity.
For military ships, where space is tight, it's pretty much always better to add 5 engineering bays than 1 maintenance storage. It might not add as much MSP, but it adds a hefty fraction, and reduces failure rate to boot. The real reason to use maintenance storage is that it's much cheaper. And for supply ships, I suppose.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #9327 on: December 28, 2011, 07:33:51 am »

New update just came out. Steve has posted two this time, use 5.56 for some bugfixes if you want to keep playing with an existing game or 5.6 which is a database update as well, so no save games will carry over.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #9328 on: December 28, 2011, 07:36:32 am »

New update just came out. Steve has posted two this time, use 5.56 for some bugfixes if you want to keep playing with an existing game or 5.6 which is a database update as well, so no save games will carry over.
Are there any patch notes?

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9329 on: December 28, 2011, 07:44:16 am »

FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU-----

Figures a new version would come out while I'm taking a small break from my ongoing campaign. I'm still at 5.54. :-/

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 ... 620 621 [622] 623 624 ... 1347