Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 619 620 [621] 622 623 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2818167 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #9300 on: December 24, 2011, 01:19:57 pm »

>NPR with superior tech, unknown numbers, unknown location of home system/colonies
>No military of my own, and no hope of effective military for at least 6-7 years
>Make them hostile
>lolno

:P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Scout1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9301 on: December 25, 2011, 06:42:31 am »

Could've sworn I tried that already! Deleting the Task Group fixed it. Now, if someone could tell me how to spawn ships using SM... Gotta make up them bug-related losses, you know!  :P

EDIT: To clarify, the fleet's orders were somehow cleared. This is what enabled me to delete it.

Found what the 'solution' was... loaded the wrong game. I didn't look it over too hard so I didn't notice until I figured out I was building missile destroyers. Still need help.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9302 on: December 25, 2011, 08:52:22 am »

I set the local system gen chance to 70, and the max local gen spread to 20. And the game I'm in places me in my very own special four star system galaxy, I had to gen two JP's in three systems in an attempt to not be stuck here forever. And a couple of those dead-ended. Tell me, is this just bad luck or was it my system gen settings? (also max systems is 250)

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9303 on: December 25, 2011, 09:38:36 am »

Bad luck. Those settings only change where jump points lead, not how many there are. That depends on the mass of the stars you find, with larger stars having more (on average) JPs.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9304 on: December 26, 2011, 10:29:48 pm »

One thing to keep in mind is that starting with low numbers of JPs in Sol tends to drastically increase your chances of being deadended, which is why I usually start with 6.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9305 on: December 27, 2011, 01:59:47 pm »

Howdy guys. Anybody have a decent guide on-hand on Colonization? I can't find any.

Pre-warning: Yes, I'm a newbie to this game. I've tried the wiki and tutorials section, but both are dry on direct information (ie, searching for "Colony". "Colonization". "Terraforming". etc). They're good at explaining every little detail of the menus and such, but not how to actually use them...

Attempt one: Colonist Ship to Mars, build infrastructure. Build anything. Colonist population of 0.2m won't do anything.
Attempt two: Transport Terraform Units to Mars and terraform. Post-unloading, planet reports "No Available Terraform units". (I've noticed in transport, aboard my freight ships, they report they are holding a decimal number of a terraform unit (0.02x (sic)).
Attempt three: Build a Terraformer-class ship, Terraforming Module equipped. How does this even work?!

So, I'm out of ideas.

Also, how do I Mine asteroids?

> Locate Asteroid with minerals.
> Build Ship with asteroid mining module.
> No option for mining asteroids on-location?

Edit;
Oh, and, when a ship is marooned with a busted engine, how and what do I send out to repair it?

Spoiler: Terraforming (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Unresponsive Industry (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 02:09:31 pm by Azkanan »
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9306 on: December 27, 2011, 02:26:27 pm »

For asteroid mining, the ships need to be in orbit, or just move them to the asteroid and then leave them there.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9307 on: December 27, 2011, 02:29:03 pm »

For asteroid mining, the ships need to be in orbit, or just move them to the asteroid and then leave them there.

Ah, alright. I actually forgot about three vessels I sent off to mining... When I remembered them once more, they were wreckages. I take it they need to gather reparation supplies every once in a while?
A pool of Dwarven Ale.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #9308 on: December 27, 2011, 02:34:30 pm »

An addition to this, there needs to be a colony on the asteroid in order for the miner to operate. The minerals it mines will be placed on the colony. You can create a colony via the system information window.

Ah, alright. I actually forgot about three vessels I sent off to mining... When I remembered them once more, they were wreckages. I take it they need to gather reparation supplies every once in a while?

Assuming that you didn't put military engines on your miners, they should have no need for maintainance supplies as commercial vessels ignore maintainance.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 02:38:25 pm by Metalax »
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9309 on: December 27, 2011, 02:36:03 pm »

An addition to this, there needs to be a colony on the asteroid in order for the miner to operate. The minerals it mines will be placed on the colony. You can create a colony via the system information window.

Ah, that solves the mining then.

Any clues on Terraforming/Colonization in addition, or repairing drifting craft?

My system is littered with remains of craft caught with busted engines.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
A pool of Dwarven Ale.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #9310 on: December 27, 2011, 02:49:56 pm »

To repair craft with a busted engine you normally just need to send a ship with maintainance supplies out to them and transfer them across to the damaged ship. It will then use it's damage control rating to fix the engine. It will take twice the maintainance supplies to repair a part as are removed when a ship suffers a maintainace faliure to that part and is immediately repaired which you see in the event log.

If you are having frequent problems with ships running out of maintainance supplies to keep themselves running, you are either not placing enough engineering spaces on your classes or you are leaving them out for long periods without returning them for overhaul.

The alternative is to create tugs, ships equiped with a tractor beam and a high percentage of space dedicated to engines, to tow your damaged ships back to shipyards for repair.

Just took a look at your screenshot. What you have there isn't damaged ships, they are destroyed ships. Either you have an enemy running around blowing your ships up, or you are not sending ships back for resupply of maintainance supplies and refit and ther are suffering breakdowns until the entire ship fails. Are you putting military engines on your terraformers/colony ships? If not then you almost certainly have an enemy running around as commercial ships don't suffer maintainance faliures.

Terraformers

Terraforming takes a long time, do not expect to see results in less than multiple decades unless you have significantly researched the terraforming rate and are using many terraformers.

As with the asteroid miners you need to have a colony on the planets you want to terraform. If you are using terraforming ships, move them to the colony(don't use the orbit command as that doesn't actually move them to the planet in question). Setting up the terraforming is done via the enviroment tab on the colony screen. Select the gas you want to alter the level of, enter the target level, select the checkbox if you need to add gas to reach the target then hit "save atm".

In order to fully terraform a planet you need to do several things. First you need to heat up/cool down the planet to within your species temperature tolerance. All gasses add some (1/10th of their atmospheric pressure) warming effect, carbon dioxide and safe greenhouse gas add their full atmospheric pressure in addition. Anti greenhouse gas gives a cooling effect. Secondly you need to add/remove enough oxygen to place the oxygen pressure within your species tolerances. Thirdly you need to ensure that the percentage of oxygen is 30% or lower of the total atmospheric pressure. Finally you need to remove any dangerous gases such as chlorine.

If you are using terraforming installations their use is the same, you just need to move them to the colony via freighters.

Taken from the wiki
Transporting Installations

The facilities that can be transported are (requires 5 Cargo Holds unless otherwise stated):

Research Labs (100 holds in one go, or automatically broken down into parts)
    Genetic Modification Centre (100 holds in one go, or automatically broken down into parts)
    Maintenance Facilities
    Construction Factory
    Automated Mine
    Mine
    Mass Driver
    Fuel Refinery
    Ordnance Factory
    Fighter Factory
    Deep Space Tracking Station
    PDC Component (1 cargo hold)
    infrastructure (one half of a cargo hold)
    Terraforming Installation (25 holds in one go, or automatically broken down into parts)
    Ground Force Training Facility (100 holds in one go, or automatically broken down into parts) (ver. 5.50)

If you are following most peoples advice your freighters will have 5 cargo holds each and as such will take 5 trips to transport a complete terraforming installation. The easiest way to do so is to give the freighter orders something like;

Code: [Select]
move to earth
load terraforming installation
move to mars
unload terraforming installation
Then replace the 1 by the repeat orders button with 4 and hit the button which will give you a total of 5 trips. If your freighters have a different number of holds adjust the number of repeats accordingly.

Note that terraforming installations require there to be population to operate them which can be a problem for new colonies, so terraforming ships are normally recomended.

Colonising

Colonising is simply moving population from a source world to a target world in the same way as transporting anything else, just using colonist modules instead of cargo holds. However unless your target world has a colony cost of zero, population will start to die off as soon as they are dropped off. There are two ways to deal with this, either terraform the planet until it has a colony cost of zero, which takes considerable time, or shipping infrastructure via freighters to the colony in order to suport them. Infrastructure is built via the industry tab. The ammount of infrastructure required depends on the colony cost and can bee seen on the summary tab of the colony window.

Assuming you have suitable designs with commercial engines and cargo holds/colonists modules and give them sufficient funds to build them, your civilian shipping lines will handle most of the work keeping a colony growing. All planets create a certain ammount of infrastructure for free that the civilian freighters will ship to where it is needed, meaning you will only need to build more yourslef if the demand outstrips the supply. In order to get a colony started however you will need to ship the inital load of colonists/infrastructure yourself.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 03:29:47 pm by Metalax »
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #9311 on: December 27, 2011, 03:08:38 pm »

for the non responsive industry: you lack enough people for the job.
you should, for mars, build far more infrastructures, assign a civilian commander with high population growth bonus, and you should simply wait. after a while civilian freighters will pop in and you'll be able to ask them to transfer stuff around.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #9312 on: December 27, 2011, 03:18:18 pm »

Personally I crank out ~10,000 infrastructure and drop it on Mars right off the bat, and let the civvies drop people there whenever they feel its necessary. They will expand the infrastructure from there on their own. It generates quite a bit of wealth once they're above the 10 million colonist mark.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9313 on: December 27, 2011, 03:18:48 pm »

Attempt one: Colonist Ship to Mars, build infrastructure. Build anything. Colonist population of 0.2m won't do anything.
Sans Construction Factories, they're not going to have anything to build *with*. Unlike most 4x games, Aurora colonists don't bring any kind of inherent built-in construction capacity. You have to have factories on the planet for them to staff in order to build anything. If you need infrastructure/factories/mines/whatever, build some on Earth and ship it to Mars. A slower, but cheaper method is simply to wait for civilian ships to bring some of the commercially-produced excess infrastructure. They'll automatically ship it as a trade good to any planet with an infrastructure deficit, but it may take a while. A third option which is sort of a middle ground is to build infrastructure and then use civilian contracts to induce those freighters to carry it where you want. This will also work for factories, mines, etc.

Attempt two: Transport Terraform Units to Mars and terraform. Post-unloading, planet reports "No Available Terraform units". (I've noticed in transport, aboard my freight ships, they report they are holding a decimal number of a terraform unit (0.02x (sic)).
Yeah, terraforming complexes are big. I think each hold carries 0.04 of a station. I tend to build 5-hold freighters and deploy them in 5-ship groups, so it takes me one group run to ferry an entire station. Said terraforming station then needs manpower to run it (they're not automated), so you need to transport colonists (and enough infrastructure to sustain their numbers).

Attempt three: Build a Terraformer-class ship, Terraforming Module equipped. How does this even work?!
Kind of like asteroid miners. You park the ship over its intended target (which you need to have officially created a colony on, even if there's no one and nothing there). Then in the colony screen, go to that world, go to the Terraforming tab, select the gas you want to add/subtract, and have at it. Note that 1 module on a ship is going to be painfully slow at having an effect. I usually build mega-formers with several modules on them, and even then it's painfully slow. A ground-based installation is more efficient in many respects, but has the additional complication of needing population to run it.

Typically, I use ground-based facilities for planets that are rated 2.0 or better, and shipborne terraforming for the really inhospitable worlds (and from time to time, for adding a boost to the ground facilities).

Oh, and, when a ship is marooned with a busted engine, how and what do I send out to repair it?
Depends on the maintenance cost of the engine and how much maintenance capacity your ship has. It is entirely possible to build a ship whose engine or jumpdrive takes more parts to fix than the ship has room for. In that case, your only option is to tow it to a shipyard for repair. Otherwise, just move another ship or two next to it, and use the Miscellaneous tab of the Ships (F6) screen to transfer MSP to the crippled vessel, then go to the Damage Control tab to begin the repair. Incidentally, the Damage Control tab will also show you the cost of the repair in MSP under Damaged Systems.

EDIT: Oh, just now saw the screenshot. Yeah, what Metalax said. Those are wreckage, not disabled ships. No fixing those.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 03:22:41 pm by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #9314 on: December 27, 2011, 03:35:04 pm »

I have a design for a 5-terraformer ship with no additional features. I just use a huge tug to put it in orbit of the destination. Of course, it needs gates to get anywhere, but that's not a serious problem.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.
Pages: 1 ... 619 620 [621] 622 623 ... 1347