Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 604 605 [606] 607 608 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2818540 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #9075 on: December 09, 2011, 01:35:24 pm »

Spoiler: SARD Empire History (click to show/hide)
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9076 on: December 09, 2011, 01:39:35 pm »

I've always loved the RP value of setting up situations like that, though it would probably work better if I set up multiple factions and did a proper LP. But I'm too damn lazy for that, and would rather just play the game.  :P

Also, conventional starts are my new favorite because you can end up with nice, round numbers of installations after converting your industry.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9077 on: December 09, 2011, 09:40:44 pm »

So I'm trying out that thing where you put no engines on asteroid miners, then tug them all around.

While remaining under my 80,000ton limit (shipyard) I was able to make my asteroid miner design fit 50% more mining modules on it. Though when it gets tugged around by the tugs I designed the speed is only about 296km/s, so that could be improved. My Terraforming ships and Fuel Harvester ships work the same way.

And yes, damn corundium shortages.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9078 on: December 09, 2011, 09:48:57 pm »

Eh, the speed doesn't really matter for asteroid miners, terraformers, or sorium harvesting bases, because they'll spend 99% of their operation time in orbit of whatever they're working on.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9079 on: December 09, 2011, 10:03:37 pm »

I forget, can you tug things through wormholes/jump gates?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9080 on: December 09, 2011, 10:11:27 pm »

Yes, if there's sufficient support drive OR a stable gate.  All the normal rules apply to travel, but a towed ship counts as "in motion" and will transit just fine.  In fact, I think that a non-towed ship on the jumpgate can travel through because jump travel isn't quite the same as conventional travel.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9081 on: December 09, 2011, 10:31:07 pm »

I traveled through an unexplored jumpgate and the game generated two systems instead of one. One system was generated normally, and the second is a four star, no body system that has no jump connections to anything anywhere. And even weirder is that three of the stars exist in the exact same spot.

And now the game keeps generating division by zero errors.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9082 on: December 09, 2011, 10:33:11 pm »

SM Mode - System View (F9) - Delete System

lavenders2

• Bay Watcher
  • The cheese stands alone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9083 on: December 10, 2011, 03:40:19 am »

Working on colonizing mars still and noticed talk about tug ships. How can you make a tug ship? My guess is to make a ship to ship tractor beam but I am not too sure.

Also, I'm presuming that there is going to be a speed penalty to the tugging ship. How is that calculated?

My terraforming ship (after about 10 months into the game) looks like this:
Code: [Select]
Killer class Cruiser    137,600 tons     1223 Crew     2910.5 BP      TCS 2752  TH 500  EM 0
181 km/s     Armour 1-237     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 1     PPV 0
MSP 13    Max Repair 500 MSP
Terraformer: 5 module(s) producing 0.006 atm per annum

Bit basic atm but not too sure what to add to it. I'm guessing it also needs an active sensor? What else might it need?
Economies of scale: Dathominion Co.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9084 on: December 10, 2011, 04:02:02 am »

1: "Ship to ship tractor beam"
2: You now have a tug.

When ships are linked via tractor, the total tonnage and total engine power is calculated together.  If you have a 10t weight and a 5t engine, it will act as a 15t linked ship.  If you have a 10t ship with an engine, and an identical 10t ship with the same engine, then when linked they will get the exact same speed as normal.  The tugging ship AND the tugged ship count towards total tonnage AND total engine power.

Terraforming ships only need a terraforming module to work, presumably this sophisticated piece of stellar re-engineering is capable of sampling atmosphere on its own.  Many basic designs are 1 ion engine and 1 terraformer module.  My design is to have an orbital habitat module and 50 terraformers, allowing it to be constructed at industry instead of shipyards (ie - it's built the same was as you build mines and stuff).  Because it doesn't depend on shipyard size, you can make a massive ship if you have the minerals for it.  50 modules gets some pretty boss conversion rate too, terraforms Mars to 0.0 in like two months!  Not really, more like 5 years, but hot damn, stellar re-engineering completed in 5 years!  You can also utilize commanders better, as a naval commander with high terraforming skill can be assigned to the ship.  A 20% terraforming bonus gives you 60 effective modules, 10 modules for free!

lavenders2

• Bay Watcher
  • The cheese stands alone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9085 on: December 10, 2011, 04:50:44 am »

1: "Ship to ship tractor beam"
2: You now have a tug.

When ships are linked via tractor, the total tonnage and total engine power is calculated together.  If you have a 10t weight and a 5t engine, it will act as a 15t linked ship.  If you have a 10t ship with an engine, and an identical 10t ship with the same engine, then when linked they will get the exact same speed as normal.  The tugging ship AND the tugged ship count towards total tonnage AND total engine power.

Terraforming ships only need a terraforming module to work, presumably this sophisticated piece of stellar re-engineering is capable of sampling atmosphere on its own.  Many basic designs are 1 ion engine and 1 terraformer module.  My design is to have an orbital habitat module and 50 terraformers, allowing it to be constructed at industry instead of shipyards (ie - it's built the same was as you build mines and stuff).  Because it doesn't depend on shipyard size, you can make a massive ship if you have the minerals for it.  50 modules gets some pretty boss conversion rate too, terraforms Mars to 0.0 in like two months!  Not really, more like 5 years, but hot damn, stellar re-engineering completed in 5 years!  You can also utilize commanders better, as a naval commander with high terraforming skill can be assigned to the ship.  A 20% terraforming bonus gives you 60 effective modules, 10 modules for free!
5 years is a long time to terraform one planet! I'm kinda hoping mine doesn't take anywhere near as long :(
I think I will just start with terraforming mars and then I will go check out other planets which I should hopefully have found and surveyed by the time mars is done.
Not much is happening in my Aurora world.... no enemies to test my ships on.... but then again, I wouldn't want to aggravate them. I have 3 ships that can fight, and they are pretty... well... bad.
Economies of scale: Dathominion Co.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9086 on: December 10, 2011, 04:54:13 am »

5 years is actually a pretty good time.

Aurora is a game about the long view. Stuff takes a REALLY long time sometimes. Keep in mind that it can take months to travel between planets if your engines are slow enough.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9087 on: December 10, 2011, 02:31:01 pm »

5 years on a planet is lightning speed.  Like, really, if I saw any terraforming done at that rate I'd be worried about tectonics.  Planet has been sitting there for millions of years, settled and cozy, and you come along and dump 100x more atmosphere and double the temperature?  You're gonna have rocks exploding and mountains turning upside down with any change that fast and that dramatic!

Plus, this is an entire planet.  It's taken billions of humans about a hundred years to pollute the planet, and we're still undecided on if global warming is real or not!  A handful of gas pumpers in orbit doing a massively larger job in a massively shorter time, is astounding.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9088 on: December 10, 2011, 05:21:21 pm »

Not to mention if it has water, raising the temperature that much would create such drastic storms and weather that colonizing it at all would astound me. You'd probably need several more years for the storms to calm down.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9089 on: December 10, 2011, 05:45:32 pm »

Presumably houses in the future are a bit sturdier.
Pages: 1 ... 604 605 [606] 607 608 ... 1347