Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 605 606 [607] 608 609 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2818501 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #9090 on: December 10, 2011, 06:13:45 pm »

Or you just live underground in a stable area.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9091 on: December 10, 2011, 06:16:19 pm »

Pah...I have a binary planet system where one of the worlds has a temperature of 80.3C, a gravity of 1.92G, an atmospheric pressure of 3.7 atm, and a partial pressure of oxygen of 0.77 atm. Oh, and it's 100% water. So basically, it's a giant pressure cooker.

I genned a map for it in Fractal Terrains, and it actually created a tiny spot of land, an island a couple of hundred km long and maybe 100km wide (the planet has a diameter of 27000km, so it's still over 99.5% water surface). Given that there's an equally massive "moon" orbiting it at a mere 135,000 km distance, I figure the tides are hellacious. The other planet would basically sweep a wall of near-boiling, highly pressurized water a mile high along the surface of the planet. The island is actually a massive single peak which goes up some 20km. I figure the lower portions of the island get inundated every other day or so, and the upper reaches are the only habitable zone on the planet.

And yet, there were alien ruins. BAD place to settle, guys. Imma still colonize it with my HyGee grunts. xD

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9092 on: December 10, 2011, 06:30:06 pm »

What is Fractal Terrains? Some sort of add-on?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9093 on: December 10, 2011, 06:40:25 pm »

Sounds like a world generator not associated with Aurora, just some neat tool someone made where it lets you plug in specifics like gravity and temperature and it tries to generate a planet.  Aurora will generate some incredibly off-the-wall worlds, trying to visualize them can be hilarious.

lavenders2

• Bay Watcher
  • The cheese stands alone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9094 on: December 10, 2011, 09:25:02 pm »

Okay, so if 5 years is nothing (I have only passed 1 year in the game so far) then how far is everyone else in their main game? Also, if possible, post your starting year, and post years when significant events happened (found a new system, found a new contact, colonized a planet).

The idea behind this is to get a sense of scale in the game. I'm not expecting to get things done so quickly, but I want to know a good starting point because I thought 5 years was a loooooooong time
Economies of scale: Dathominion Co.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9095 on: December 11, 2011, 01:16:03 am »

I'm about 75 years in, rough start with an accidentally very low population and subsequent money troubles, and then Mars troubles.

lavenders2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9096 on: December 11, 2011, 01:58:13 am »

I'm about 75 years in, rough start with an accidentally very low population and subsequent money troubles, and then Mars troubles.
Sounds like the stuff that happens in my games when I am doing really well

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9097 on: December 11, 2011, 02:02:12 am »

My last (undeleted) game is only 20 years in from a 2025 T-N start, because I get bored and leave games all the time.  :P

For a typical T/N start, my first Martian colony may be as early as the first year (if I drop some infrastructure and colonists and let them do what they will) or as late as the end of the first decade, if I bother doing some terraforming first. In this particular game, I got rather lucky and my first extrasolar colony was established about 6 years after the start. At the current moment, I've got 7 colonies, two conquered alien worlds, and large numbers of mining colonies and worlds being terraformed. All of those worlds I own are 0.00 cost after terraforming. I've currently got a population of roughly 4.6 billion, from a standard 500 million population start (though numbers are skewed; the aliens are contributing a little over 2.8 billion of that). I'm currently at 1,050,848, thanks largely in part to an exploit regarding civilian-built ships that has since been patched, and have the following shipwards on Earth:
-Shipyard, Naval x6 (largest is 80k tons, smallest is 1k tons, but has 20 slipways)
-Shipyard, Commercial x3 (largest is 460k tons, smallest is 110k tons)
The alien worlds each have roughly 25 shipyards of smaller sizes. I've mined out most of Earth's resources, and will soon be moving the shipyards and factories to a new world.

Of course, a conventional start is a whole nother beast. My (new) main game is one, I'm 14.5 years in from a 2015 start, and I only have a pair of GEV vessels with nuclear thermal engines, and I'm not going to have my first GSV produced until the end of 2030. I won't have terraformers building easily until 2035, and probably won't have military vessels of any sort until 2040. I've yet to hit nuclear pulse drive tech (though that is mainly due to a shit distribution of resourcers), and have only just finished the basic Jump Drive techs. OTOH, by the time I get any sort of naval force, I'll have a massive officer corp to drawn on. GU production ends up being much more significant as well; I've got a whole division of MI at about the same time that I started exploiting the Martian ruins.

(That is, four brigades of MI, composed of 1x HQ and 4x MI batt. each, for a total of 16 MI battalions and 4 Brigade HQs, with a Division HQ on top as soon as I research it. As soon as I finish the current research, I'll be doing the same for Assault Infantry. By way of comparison, I usually don't have more than a division or two by the 30th year in T-N starts)

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

lavenders2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9098 on: December 11, 2011, 02:28:22 am »

My last (undeleted) game is only 20 years in from a 2025 T-N start, because I get bored and leave games all the time.  :P

For a typical T/N start, my first Martian colony may be as early as the first year (if I drop some infrastructure and colonists and let them do what they will) or as late as the end of the first decade, if I bother doing some terraforming first. In this particular game, I got rather lucky and my first extrasolar colony was established about 6 years after the start. At the current moment, I've got 7 colonies, two conquered alien worlds, and large numbers of mining colonies and worlds being terraformed. All of those worlds I own are 0.00 cost after terraforming. I've currently got a population of roughly 4.6 billion, from a standard 500 million population start (though numbers are skewed; the aliens are contributing a little over 2.8 billion of that). I'm currently at 1,050,848, thanks largely in part to an exploit regarding civilian-built ships that has since been patched, and have the following shipwards on Earth:
-Shipyard, Naval x6 (largest is 80k tons, smallest is 1k tons, but has 20 slipways)
-Shipyard, Commercial x3 (largest is 460k tons, smallest is 110k tons)
The alien worlds each have roughly 25 shipyards of smaller sizes. I've mined out most of Earth's resources, and will soon be moving the shipyards and factories to a new world.

Of course, a conventional start is a whole nother beast. My (new) main game is one, I'm 14.5 years in from a 2015 start, and I only have a pair of GEV vessels with nuclear thermal engines, and I'm not going to have my first GSV produced until the end of 2030. I won't have terraformers building easily until 2035, and probably won't have military vessels of any sort until 2040. I've yet to hit nuclear pulse drive tech (though that is mainly due to a shit distribution of resourcers), and have only just finished the basic Jump Drive techs. OTOH, by the time I get any sort of naval force, I'll have a massive officer corp to drawn on. GU production ends up being much more significant as well; I've got a whole division of MI at about the same time that I started exploiting the Martian ruins.

(That is, four brigades of MI, composed of 1x HQ and 4x MI batt. each, for a total of 16 MI battalions and 4 Brigade HQs, with a Division HQ on top as soon as I research it. As soon as I finish the current research, I'll be doing the same for Assault Infantry. By way of comparison, I usually don't have more than a division or two by the 30th year in T-N starts)

Conventional start sounds realistic, but nothing would happen for the first 30 something years!

I am about to start my 3rd game because I stuffed up everything again. I researched certain techs and got certain things thinking they would be useful and did something wrong with them (i.e. researched 5 different jump engines because I needed bigger ones all the time only to put it on my smallest ship making it virtually worthless when I want to get combat ships to someplace.) Other things include:

• Researching certain techs that are more of a lategame tech on the first day
  • Tunnel visioning a LOT (for example, researching a tech and letting it research and then building infrastructure and then letting it finish before I do my next task etc. etc.)
  • Not doing any upgrades with my shipyard or industry for a year
  • Because I feel like I did nothing meaningful, I lost interest very quickly and had no motivation to continue

I figure practice makes perfect though, so I am going to start another game and think it through a bit better, using past experiences to make this third time a charm
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 02:32:31 am by lavenders2 »

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9099 on: December 11, 2011, 02:39:13 am »

119 years in a turtle game (yes, I'm serious. I basically just ran this game while listening to and watching Let's Plays). Started with 1 billion, Conventional start, starting year 2000, no NPRs at the beginning but generation chance is at 30% (though so far no worlds have fit the criteria). Invaders off but Swarm and Precursors on. Maintenance off. Population sits at 9.2 billion total, and the top 3 most populated systems are: 7.5 billion in Sol (I made Luna, Titan, Ganymede, Io, and Europa habitable though database modding), 666 million in Laleagan/Wolf 359 one jump from Sol or 1.6 Bil Km, and 455 million in Trightion/Gliese 674 two jumps from Sol or 9.4 Bil Km.

Earth is the main shipyard/everything but installation production world in the system and indeed the entire empire, and has plenty of minerals to spare. Luna is the huge production center of my empire (4000 factories) for installations. Titan is a large mining colony. Every other planet/moon in the system is pretty much nothing but population. Sol also contains reasonable amounts of most minerals for a long, long time. Though unmined Tritanium is running very, very low.

Laleagan is fully self-sufficient. They have a large Venus-like planet named Aklain with TONS of all minerals in the game (abit at low accessibility), and TONS of certain minerals on the single populated planet named Agrain (also at low accessibility). They have factories and shipyards. If I were to lose Sol, I would be able to continue on.

Trightion has no industry yet. The cause is they are decently short of Tritanium, Boronide, Vendarite, Uridium, Corundium, and Gallicite in the system even though there are 3 populated planets, so any serious industry in the system would require getting those minerals from another system. However, there are two fuel harvesters orbiting a gas giant. The first ones ever in my empire, I must add.

Sirius, one jump from Sol, has only one planet: A small gas giant with roughly half the size and gravity of Jupiter. However, that gas giant has one habitable moon along with a bunch of inhabitable ones: The populated Mass Driver dump-off moon called Piclast, with an automatic mining moon named Cabria, which has good amounts of minerals for Earth, since Earth is slowly running out. Piclast has one thing going for it though, even if it kinda sucks: 1.9 million units of Mercassium at .9 accessibility.

I have another populated system, but there's no reason to mention it because it's a dead end and currently I have no plans to do anything with it. However, it ALSO could be self-sufficient if need be on closer inspection. So maybe it will become important in the future.

Military is pretty decent against Swarm, though I haven't tested them against Precursors just yet, and there's absolutely no anti-missile missile ships yet (I am lazy) so I'm not willing to try until then. Invaders... same thing, except I'm kinda scared of them. Though I probably shouldn't be, because my technology is extremely high.

...I think that's everything of note in my game.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 02:41:35 am by Tarran »
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9100 on: December 11, 2011, 02:53:48 am »

I was about to say '3 systems in 119 years!?' but then saw the 'turtle game'.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9101 on: December 11, 2011, 03:02:13 am »

Not 3 systems, 5 >10m populated systems. And Sol alone has 9 habitable places. In total I have 17 >10m populated planets.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9102 on: December 11, 2011, 03:59:07 am »

Alien ruins doesn't sound THAT unusual... maybe they were studying the planet.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #9103 on: December 11, 2011, 06:58:07 am »

First private space resupply

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. (AP) — A private California company will attempt the first-ever commercial cargo run to the International Space Station in February.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9104 on: December 11, 2011, 07:49:05 am »

My current game is about to celebrate it's 50-year anniversary. And just in time for the 50th anniversary, Exploration Command has completed a full gravsurvey out to the 3rd Ring (I'm organizing my galactic map as a series of concentric rings centered on Sol).

108 known systems, 55 fully grav-surveyed. 1 NPR (allied, but I might be about to do a grand Judas and conquer them) plus Precursors and the Swarm. I always tend to play heavy on the exploration and light on development, so there's only three inhabited systems: Sol, Lacaille 8760 and Procyon. I'm entering a development phase now, where I'm curtailing the gravsurvey and exploration a bit and focusing on terraforming, colonizing and building up the jumpgate web. Oh, and figuring out how I want to organize this grand sphere of humanity politically. I'm planning on dividing it roughly into thirds (Ceti-Eridani Sector, Leo-Virgo Sector and Ursa-Draconis Sector), with a fourth sector consisting just of Earth and a small pocket of two worlds behind a black hole (the "Charybdis Pocket").

My combat fleet is tiny (3 light carriers, 12 missile cruisers, 3 fighter squadrons, 2 particle beam FAC groups) and getting a bit long in the tooth technologically. Justified in that the only thing I've really been fighting are Precursors and they're not a mobile threat. If I ever decide to go to war with the Bastani (the NPR), I'm going to need to beef up, even if I do have a significant tech advantage (I salvaged some of their wreckage after they'd been fighting Precursors, and found they're still using Ion Engines and Sensitivity 6 sensors).

I'm also about to do a major nomenclature project, cause I'm tired of wading through umpteen "Gliese xxx" systems.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 08:25:34 am by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 ... 605 606 [607] 608 609 ... 1347