Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 597 598 [599] 600 601 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2818734 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #8970 on: December 05, 2011, 03:53:47 am »

By the way, if the resources are at 0.1-0.3 accessibility, they probably aren't going after, unless you've literally got no other sources of them.
I'd colonise it anyway, just for having a populated planet outside Sol. And also having another populated planet. More planets -> faster population growth and more work for civilians.

True, but resource level and accessability affect where a planet goes on the list of 'to colonize', at least for me.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8971 on: December 05, 2011, 04:24:07 am »

Sure, when you actually have some choice. :P

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8972 on: December 05, 2011, 01:40:20 pm »

A tiny sensor is fine for firing at stationary targets (ships on defense or PDCs).  I usually try to make my separation just a hair shorter than the missile range, just a bit to allow for chasing a target but far enough away to not put the drone at risk.

Idea: Have giant missile ships armed with bays, and keep tiny disposable fighters loaded with sensors and engines inside.

You launch one fighter, then when the fighter finds a target you launch the missiles, then all the enemy missiles destroy a tiny fighter.  Reload and repeat.

Keep a small swarm of ultra-cheap fighters that you throw out just before your mothership flees back through the jumpgate.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #8973 on: December 05, 2011, 02:19:14 pm »

A tiny sensor is fine for firing at stationary targets (ships on defense or PDCs).  I usually try to make my separation just a hair shorter than the missile range, just a bit to allow for chasing a target but far enough away to not put the drone at risk.

Idea: Have giant missile ships armed with bays, and keep tiny disposable fighters loaded with sensors and engines inside.

You launch one fighter, then when the fighter finds a target you launch the missiles, then all the enemy missiles destroy a tiny fighter.  Reload and repeat.

Keep a small swarm of ultra-cheap fighters that you throw out just before your mothership flees back through the jumpgate.
Reminds me of the pinnaces from the Praxis series. Small single-man ships launched along with a volley of missiles who's sole job was to guide the missiles to their final target, because the missiles could be launched over distances of several light hours and needed on-site guidance for intelligent targeting else they might waste themselves on a single target, etc. Pinnace pilots had a very short combat life expectancy.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8974 on: December 05, 2011, 02:26:40 pm »

Reminds me of the pinnaces from the Praxis series. Small single-man ships launched along with a volley of missiles who's sole job was to guide the missiles to their final target, because the missiles could be launched over distances of several light hours and needed on-site guidance for intelligent targeting else they might waste themselves on a single target, etc. Pinnace pilots had a very short combat life expectancy.

Except for the one with plot armor, of course.  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #8975 on: December 05, 2011, 02:52:48 pm »

Except for the one with plot armor, of course.  :P
Well yeah, you can't let the ridiculously lucky heroine main character noble-but-not chick get hurt unless it is to create tension!

Imofexios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8976 on: December 05, 2011, 03:19:50 pm »

Are civilian ships only cargo haulers?
So i make 1 ship with cargo ability only to get civilian liners out?
I made combo of 5 cargo and 2 cryo cambers and i never got any civilian ships.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8977 on: December 05, 2011, 03:20:33 pm »

Maybe the civ line doesn't have enough wealth to build it yet?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #8978 on: December 05, 2011, 03:24:31 pm »

Are civilian ships only cargo haulers?
So i make 1 ship with cargo ability only to get civilian liners out?
I made combo of 5 cargo and 2 cryo cambers and i never got any civilian ships.
IIRC Civilians will build any ship that:

Is not military
AND
Is not set as obsolete
AND
[Has a cargo hold AND/OR has a luxury passenger compartment AND/OR has a cryostasis colonist transport module]

You could make a ship with 5 cargo holds, 2 luxury passenger compartments and space for 50k colonists and they would build it.

You could also add a cargo hold to a salvage ship and, unfortunately, they might build that because it meets the requirements. (This is why I use cargo fleets and dedicated salvagers and not salvage ships with cargo holds)

Imofexios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8979 on: December 05, 2011, 03:32:03 pm »

So the Civilian liner build up wealth via trading in earth first, that explains it.
This game keeps suprising me all the time. Love it.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8980 on: December 05, 2011, 03:53:41 pm »

Civilians will build a ship with an orbital habitat, 50 terraformers, and 1 cargo section, because it fits the criteria :P  I've also heard that if you add a luxury passenger module to a regular cargo/cryo ship that every trip it takes is considered a luxury trip and it'll produce money out the ass.  Normal luxury ships are low priority, but if it's a cargo ship with luxury, it becomes high priority and they'll be forced to invest in luxury liners.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8981 on: December 05, 2011, 04:09:24 pm »

The Luxry/Cryo exploit was fixed in the latest patch.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8982 on: December 05, 2011, 04:15:32 pm »

Oh was it?  The latest patch was primarily undocumented, so it was hard to tell...

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8983 on: December 05, 2011, 04:44:05 pm »

I found a system with 3 planets that are 2-4 colony cost, and at least one other with 4-8. I was quite pleased, and one of the planets has ruins on it, going to get right onto excavating those.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8984 on: December 05, 2011, 04:51:37 pm »

Check for gravity.  If the gravity is within range, then start terraforming them to hell and reap massive profits!
Pages: 1 ... 597 598 [599] 600 601 ... 1347