Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 596 597 [598] 599 600 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2818722 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #8955 on: December 04, 2011, 06:19:48 pm »

Actually most of the "approach" is meant to be done at reduced speed, to give a very small thermal sig while being very patient.  I also need to work on my various techs and increase the range, though speed may be a permanent issue.  It's hard to pack in a big stealth drive and engine and weapons.  Offsetting the jump drive will definitely help, though I may have to go with a bigger ship to get real speed...

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8956 on: December 04, 2011, 07:54:25 pm »

Code: [Select]
Highlander class Missile Frigate    6,000 tons     444 Crew     1668.6 BP      TCS 24  TH 157.5  EM 0
3750 km/s     Armour 1-29     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 6     PPV 30
Maint Life 3.31 Years     MSP 1043    AFR 48%    IFR 0.7%    1YR 144    5YR 2167    Max Repair 800 MSP
Magazine 200   

ICFusion Masked E4 (5)    Power 90    Fuel Use 40%    Signature 31.5    Armour 0    Exp 3%
Fuel Capacity 400,000 Litres    Range 300.0 billion km   (925 days at full power)

Siege Arrow IV Rail (10)    Missile Size 20    Hangar Reload 150 minutes    MF Reload 25 hours
Fire Control Arrow IV MK1 (1)     Range 520.5m km    Resolution 120
Arrow IV (10)  Speed: 8,000 km/s   End: 1d    Range: 720.8m km   WH: 0    Size: 20    TH: 13 / 8 / 4

Cloaking Device: Class cross-section reduced to 20% of normal
Missile to hit chances are vs targets moving at 3000 km/s, 5000 km/s and 10,000 km/s

This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes

My stealth siege ship, only use the 12 of them have gotten so far has been to destroy some precursor bases.  Planned use is to move them into a system and use probes to target bases and slow commercial ships.  Here's the missile(s).
Code: [Select]
Arrow IV
Missile Size: 20 MSP  (1 HS)     Warhead: 0    Armour: 2     Manoeuvre Rating: 5
Speed: 8000 km/s    Endurance: 1500 minutes   Range: 720.0m km
Cost Per Missile: 14.5416
Second Stage: Arrow IV-S x3
Second Stage Separation Range: 150,000 km
Overall Endurance: 1 days   Overall Range: 721.2m km

Arrow IV-S
Missile Size: 3 MSP  (0.15 HS)     Warhead: 9    Armour: 0     Manoeuvre Rating: 20
Speed: 33300 km/s    Endurance: 1 minutes   Range: 1.2m km
Cost Per Missile: 4.1667
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 08:15:02 pm by Shooer »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8957 on: December 04, 2011, 08:21:18 pm »

1: May consider putting some sensors on those missiles, at drone range you usually don't have direct sight of your target.

2: Your separation range is shorter than your missile lifespan.  Whatever you're firing at, the drone will fly to  150m km and fire the second stage.  The Arrow IV-S will then fly to 148,800 km and run out of fuel.  This means that whatever you're shooting at, you're going to fall about 150m km short of hitting it due to the separation range.  Unless I'm not seeing something here...

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8958 on: December 04, 2011, 08:36:21 pm »

1: May consider putting some sensors on those missiles, at drone range you usually don't have direct sight of your target.

2: Your separation range is shorter than your missile lifespan.  Whatever you're firing at, the drone will fly to  150m km and fire the second stage.  The Arrow IV-S will then fly to 148,800 km and run out of fuel.  This means that whatever you're shooting at, you're going to fall about 150m km short of hitting it due to the separation range.  Unless I'm not seeing something here...

The submissiles have a range of over a million km, the initial separation is at 150,000km. If anything this is too short; it's well within AMM range and likely within heavy beam weapon range, which should be able to hit a 8,000 km/s target. Would probably be better to give them a longer separation distance (I usually aim for 3-5m km to avoid AMMs).

Sensors are also a problem, but it would probably be best to have a dedicated sensor ship since onboard sensors are space-expensive on submissiles.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8959 on: December 04, 2011, 08:41:09 pm »

A tiny sensor is fine for firing at stationary targets (ships on defense or PDCs).  I usually try to make my separation just a hair shorter than the missile range, just a bit to allow for chasing a target but far enough away to not put the drone at risk.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8960 on: December 04, 2011, 10:15:26 pm »

Not wasting space on these missiles and ships because I have other ships/drones to do that for me.  And the short separation is just long enough for them to be seen for AMM/PD fire, while every thing else is focused on the first stage.  The 2 levels of armor on these designs absorb all 3 AMMs that get sent at them by the AI, a future model has 3 so that they take two salvos to take out.  Also a thing about the AI I found with these is that the auto PD fire almost always targets the first thing seen and will keep firing on it until it's dead, ignoring closer targets. At least when it comes to AMMs.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8961 on: December 04, 2011, 10:18:41 pm »

When I try the fix for "missing MSSTDFMT.dll error" I get this error at the cmd line... "error code 0x8002801c"

Halp?

NotAQuisling

• Bay Watcher
  • Openly Fey
    • View Profile
« Reply #8962 on: December 04, 2011, 11:45:59 pm »

Yeah something about windows 7 admins being different than back in xp. Have you tried starting the game without it. Same thing happened to me on my windows 7 machine and the fully updated game ran fine. Hopefully it works for you.
Download complete in 15 Days and 7 Hours

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8963 on: December 05, 2011, 12:09:46 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Planets are quite a bit bigger than that. Like the moon is ~8x1019 tons iirc

/pedantic
hey, with only 300 trillion of those 250k ton carriers you could move the moon!
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

lavenders2

• Bay Watcher
  • The cheese stands alone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8964 on: December 05, 2011, 02:42:08 am »

Found a planet in Alpha Centauri, and I plan to colonize it because it has heaps more resources than Earth (about 2 million of 4 different resources and 116 million Neutronium)

Planet stats are:
Nitrogen 96%
Oxygen: (0.04) 2.92%
Sulphur Dioxide: 1.08%
Surface Temperature: -15.3 Degrees Celsius
Pressure: 1.39

And my races environmental tolerances:
Oxygen (atm): 0.1 min 0.3 max
Temperature: 0 degrees min 44 max
Pressure: 4

Any tips on terraforming this thing?
Economies of scale: Dathominion Co.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8965 on: December 05, 2011, 02:45:15 am »

Add 0.06atm of Oxygen, and add greenhouse gas until the temp rises.

Is the gravity in the proper range?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8966 on: December 05, 2011, 02:46:25 am »

Boost the oxygen pressure to 0.1 atmosphere (you shouldn't run into problems with high oxygen concentration), get rid of the sulphur dioxide as it's a toxic gas (which will cause the planet to have a minimum colony cost) and add some greenhouse gas (either carbon dioxide or safe greenhouse gas) until the temperature is acceptable.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8967 on: December 05, 2011, 03:17:31 am »

1. Remove the Sulfur Dioxide (set that as the active gas, DO NOT click the checkbox to add the gas, set the atm level to 0, and click 'Save ATM'.
2. Add 0.06atm Oxygen.
3. Add small amounts of Safe Greenhouse Gas until the temperature is >0 degrees C.

By the way, if the resources are at 0.1-0.3 accessibility, they probably aren't going after, unless you've literally got no other sources of them.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8968 on: December 05, 2011, 03:25:59 am »

Hit F9 to check the system view and click the planet.  It shows if it has acceptable gravity and what's rising the colony cost (30%+ oxygen, hostile gasses, etc).  Terraform up to your racial limit of oxygen, remove any hostile gasses, and pump safe greenhouses until it reaches temperature range.  If you've still got over 30% oxy (unlikely) then pump nitrogen or something.

For the actual act, I usually use my "megaformer".  50 terraforming modules and an orbital habitat, maybe with a small engine and fuel, but usually make it stationary and use a dedicated tug.  Be sure to assign an officer to the ship, your naval corps officers have a terraforming skill for a reason!

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8969 on: December 05, 2011, 03:49:00 am »

By the way, if the resources are at 0.1-0.3 accessibility, they probably aren't going after, unless you've literally got no other sources of them.
I'd colonise it anyway, just for having a populated planet outside Sol. And also having another populated planet. More planets -> faster population growth and more work for civilians.
Pages: 1 ... 596 597 [598] 599 600 ... 1347