Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 580 581 [582] 583 584 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2818918 times)

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #8715 on: November 25, 2011, 08:36:41 am »

And if it's population you need, I believe there is a button in the civilian tab to shut them down temporarily (until 180 days after you give the order to put them back online).

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8716 on: November 25, 2011, 10:25:51 am »

Is there any way to destroy or scrap shipyards?
You could SM it away I believe.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Repulsion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8717 on: November 25, 2011, 04:08:47 pm »

Er, so is there a way to make sure officers don't get declared surplus and let go? I want to keep my geology team, but I want them to stop bothering me with constant 'no minerals' reports.
Electrum, pedophilia, and necrophilia at the same time!?

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
« Reply #8718 on: November 25, 2011, 04:10:39 pm »

Is there any way to destroy or scrap shipyards?
You could SM it away I believe.

Thanks.

Er, so is there a way to make sure officers don't get declared surplus and let go? I want to keep my geology team, but I want them to stop bothering me with constant 'no minerals' reports.

I think you can go into the "Open Officers Window" and check the box that says "Do not end tour" for each officer.

So I accidentally created some of those blank "23rd Type Abbrev" ground units from when I had no ground unit tech.
Is there any way to delete them from existence?

They're in a limbo state right now so they show up in the vacancies list in the Leader menu, and I can "load" them onto my troop transports. But they don't actually fight or even show up on the ground units list.

I tried to load them onto a transport and deleted the transport in transit. So now they still exist, they just have a blank location.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 05:58:40 pm by Acperience »

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #8719 on: November 25, 2011, 08:11:30 pm »

Can't remember if it is 'autoassign to posts' or 'realistic promotions' that causes the retire surplus officers to take place, but you could play with them off. Alternatively make a bunch of tiny PDC's on your homeworld and assign officers that you want to keep but don't have a current task for to thePDC's then check the 'do not end tour' checkbox. Another possibility would be to make a new task group and assign them to the officers positions of the HQ and check the 'do not end tour' checkbox.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8720 on: November 25, 2011, 08:20:10 pm »

Can't remember if it is 'autoassign to posts' or 'realistic promotions' that causes the retire surplus officers to take place, but you could play with them off. Alternatively make a bunch of tiny PDC's on your homeworld and assign officers that you want to keep but don't have a current task for to thePDC's then check the 'do not end tour' checkbox. Another possibility would be to make a new task group and assign them to the officers positions of the HQ and check the 'do not end tour' checkbox.

It's autoassign.

There's a division by zero error somewhere in my lasers. Is there a way I can find which design it is and get rid of it without SM mode?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8721 on: November 25, 2011, 08:25:58 pm »

I believe we've been over this before in the community game.  Certain very small lasers with small recharge get rounded to 0 and cause issues.

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
« Reply #8722 on: November 25, 2011, 10:55:06 pm »

If you have stockpiled ship components does it make shipbuilding faster, or cheaper or both?

It seems like I never see any time/cost reduction, despite my shipyards consuming stockpiled parts.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8723 on: November 25, 2011, 11:06:17 pm »

It's a time reduction based on the BP of the item.  Stocking engines (high BP) will reduce shipbuilding time.  Stocking cargo containers won't much at all.  You can sort your design view on cost % of total to see what you can prefab for time reduction.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8724 on: November 26, 2011, 12:25:42 am »

So I've decided I want to make a deep space explorer spaceship that is autonomous from my main civilization.  What are some realistic designs for such a ship?  It would have to have:

1) Sensors both for stellar bodies and for new jump gates
2) The ability to build jump gates
3) The ability to refuel itself (sorium harvesters? Can you convert that to fuel on board a ship?)
4) The ability to carry various crew and science teams as well as cryo-beds for citizens in case we find a compatable planet
5) Weapons enough to defend itself from at least casual attack
6) Probably other stuff that hasn't come to mind

Any ideas on reasonable designs for such a thing?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8725 on: November 26, 2011, 12:41:37 am »

You've got two basic issues.  1: If it's sporting grav sensors for jump points, then it's military, and 2: if it's military it suffers breakdown (if enabled).  As such, carrying a few cargo modules for a mine, some infrastructure, and a construction yard should enable you to take any colonists in cryo, put them on a world, harvest some basic materials and produce some maintenance supplies.  A high number of maintenance spaces will also help keep the failure rate down.

The other option is to have another ship for grav sensors, which would require a hangar (and make it military) or a tractor beam, where the tractored ship is still subject to decay.

So, all things considered, it looks like you'll have a proper arc.  Orbital Habitat will allow it to be constructed by industry and thus you can make it any size, but it also disables jump drives due to the enormous size.  The OH also allows N/A cost worlds to be short-term productive for purposes of mining and resupplying.  5 cargo modules per desired building, such as a mine and construction yard requiring 10 cargo, plus a few to carry loose minerals I'd say.  Several cryo pods too, obviously, to support the workers needed.  Infrastructure carried and deployed will support some, and the OH will support some as well.  A very important massive passive sensor is a must, since this will be a non-fighting ship and needs to see threats far enough away to avoid them.  If you could fit a few boat bays and carry some probes to fly through a JP and check for enemies then you could avoid possible ambush, but you'd also want to tow a small shipyard to produce more in case they're lost.  Small shipyards aren't terribly heavy, especially compared to the OH itself.  I'd suggest hangars anyways as you'll doubtless need some quick scout ships to go survery bodies and JP's.  You can also mount a buoy with a grav/geo sensor, put the buoy as the second-stage for a drone, and then fire the drone at a desired location, allowing it to survery from afar.  You can also mount a thermal sensor on a buoy, in a drone, and deploy some eyes far out.  If you're wary of a jump gate, fire a buoy nearby and let the buoy's sensors tell you how dangerous it is.  For that you'll need a fire control of some type (doesn't have to match range if you're firing at a waypoint, so it can be a small firecon) and probably some magazines, as well as ordinance production loaded into cargo (will have to set down on a planet to activate it).

The more I think about it, the less likely it seems that one ship will be enough.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8726 on: November 26, 2011, 01:37:56 am »

Just turn maintenance off, if it makes you feel better continue adding realistic quantities of engineering and maintenance.
Though you would need to start a new game i think. Or you could just SM spawn small ships carrying nothing but maintenance supplies every time you run out.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8727 on: November 26, 2011, 01:43:04 am »

Hmm, maybe instead I'll make a flotilla (ala Mass Effect), a small collection of ships that can be self-sufficient without having to have a proper planet to call home.

Basically I'm trying to "Dwarf Fortress" this game, instead of just trying to make a big empire trying to come up with something interesting to do.

Thanks for the insight however.

As for failure.. I don't want to turn it off, to me that'll feel like cheating. 

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
« Reply #8728 on: November 26, 2011, 01:45:57 am »

Does anyone know what effects picket and extended orbit have?

They both have obvious effects, orbit at set distance and move at 1km/s etc. But what would you actually use either of them for?
Does it conserve fuel to extended orbit?

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8729 on: November 26, 2011, 02:23:47 am »

I set invasion fleets in extended orbit when I'm unsure if all the ground-based crud is gone. It helps prevent instant missile strikes or mason beam damage.
Pages: 1 ... 580 581 [582] 583 584 ... 1347