Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 578 579 [580] 581 582 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2818973 times)

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #8685 on: November 24, 2011, 05:09:10 am »

The NPRs make bad decisions. I don't remember who, but someone here said an NPR had rather shitty technology in almost everything, but they had dumped millions of research points into jump technology. The enemy empire eventually crumbles under its own weight from a mineral fallout (I checked on my neighbor in dev mode after about 40 years, every increment they got about 60 mineral shortage warnings ::)) and aren't especially smart when it comes to military tactics (unload my whole magazine on this unarmed, 500 ton thing? GO FOR IT!). You also tend to outpace them in research, so after a couple decades you will have equal if not better technology than they do.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8686 on: November 24, 2011, 06:23:16 am »

Yeah. So basically, I'd suggest turning off the starting NPR (It'll only slow you down, and probably crumble before you ever find it.) but set a high chance of NPR generation (Maybe as high as 80%) and a huge difficulty modifier (200%? I'm still fiddling with this one).

That way, you'll have plenty of fresh, advanced, well-armed NPRs to battle with.

P.S. Is there a way to absorb a NPR through alliance? I'm really good friend with a race of humanlike aliens with a nazi fetish called the Powatamani (I think I'll roleplay them as exiled from a secret Nazi space program time travellers). I already got a trade agreement and get Grav- and Geo-survey data, and I hope I'll learn some techs from them, but I'm still tempted to invade them. Maybe I'll wait for them to suffer a mineral crunch and then send "humanitarian help" to save that people from its stupid government.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #8687 on: November 24, 2011, 09:44:26 am »

Personally I don't like finding NPR at 80% of habitable planets, most specifically the first one I find. :/
But I've never progressed very far into the game so far. :P

What is a reasonble number of systems for the galaxy? (gameplay-wise, not realistically)

n.b. I'd like to RP being inside a big nebula and this comes down to generating alot of systems as nebulae beforehand (without mod-powers).
Having the default 1000 systems makes it quite a chore to generate a significant number of them.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #8688 on: November 24, 2011, 09:48:43 am »

I'd put it at 100-200 to start with as you can always increase it later.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8689 on: November 24, 2011, 09:55:12 am »

Last I heard the game completely ignores the limit when it makes a "local system". It's quite likely that this particular bug has been fixed since I heard about it, however.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8690 on: November 24, 2011, 10:59:56 am »

You can always rise it later. Systems are only generated when you discover them anyway.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #8691 on: November 24, 2011, 02:13:02 pm »

How effective is arming fighters with just CIWS?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8692 on: November 24, 2011, 02:31:12 pm »

Very effective, if what your going for is missile flak.

CIWS don't attack other ships.

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8693 on: November 24, 2011, 04:33:34 pm »

Since systems are only generated when discovered, the main effect of the number of systems choice is how cluttered your star map will be. with 100 stars, once you've discovered 10 systems each warp point has a 10% chance of connecting to a system you already know; with 1000 its only a 1% chance (before the local system gen chance, at least). I tend to like playing with more so my star map doesn't get cluttered. It's very rare that more than a tiny portion will actually get activated, at least unless you have an NPR that goes crazy with survey ships(like they often do) over several decades.

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
« Reply #8694 on: November 24, 2011, 05:54:45 pm »

Redacted
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 07:01:06 pm by Acperience »

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #8695 on: November 24, 2011, 06:13:40 pm »

Some  holds, some more. Research lab and terraformers are big, mines and factories standard 5 spaces big, installations and pdc are.

The wiki knows it all:
http://aurorawiki.pentarch.org/index.php?title=Installations

Civilian orders take exact quantities if you're lazy

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8696 on: November 24, 2011, 06:24:41 pm »

My civilians tend to trip over each other when I assign orders to move installions. Like when I move 500 mines to a colony, every. Single. Freighter. Goes and picks up mines, then all of them will be moved but there will still be something like 200 orders left and the civilians will go "what the hell am I supposed to do with these?!" despite the job being completed as far as I'm concerned.

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8697 on: November 24, 2011, 07:56:09 pm »

Your fighters will take an extra missile or two to be destroyed each. And won't have any offensive weapons.

Repulsion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8698 on: November 24, 2011, 09:10:56 pm »

Hmm, lets see, how is this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I have warhead strength 10, missile engine power 6.25, missile agility 128, and fuel efficiency 0.6.

I have 0.1 in warhead, 0.014 in fuel, 0.4821 in engine, and 0.4039 in agility.

I get a 51.6992 in agility, which I know is unnecessary, but when I tweak the agility I seem to get a slightly lowered 10km/s hit chance.

wait, just tweaked agility to 0.403 and put the rest into engines, bringing it up to 0.483, getting me a hit chance of 374.5%. I still have a decimal'ized agility rating, however.

edit: also, anyone has that naming system steve used in some of his campaigns? The AAA-X one?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 09:15:21 pm by Repulsion »
Electrum, pedophilia, and necrophilia at the same time!?

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8699 on: November 24, 2011, 10:44:02 pm »

I have a question that is related by a sliver, which game in the X-series was your favorite? I just bought all 5 on Steam and was wondering which I should try first.
Pages: 1 ... 578 579 [580] 581 582 ... 1347