Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 568 569 [570] 571 572 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2819183 times)

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #8535 on: November 18, 2011, 11:57:21 pm »

Is it possible to jettison missiles and have them acquire their own targets with sensors? There's so many enemies on the other side of that point I might not be able to get more than a single salvo off...

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8536 on: November 19, 2011, 12:03:02 am »

You might look into minefields (buoys).

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8537 on: November 19, 2011, 12:12:04 am »

Right, so mines are the best way to go in a situation like this... How do I design missile buoys/mines?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8538 on: November 19, 2011, 12:23:54 am »

Design a missile, then design a buoy with the missile as the second stage.  When it detects an enemy, it'll fire off its payload.  I've not used them, so I don't know how sensors work exactly, but that's it in a nutshell.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8539 on: November 19, 2011, 12:34:48 am »

Or you could build a large, heavily armored and shielded ship with good PD, send it through the point to draw fire, and then pop your frigates in and start launching.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8540 on: November 19, 2011, 12:40:27 am »

Issue there is the sensor delay, during which time your PD is blind.  I'd rather suggest a number of quick little sensor ships, preferably with stealth.  If they can outpace the enemy (hyperdrive fighters?) then they can run away.  Once they're away, turn on active sensors, drawing the enemy away from the JP and towards the decoy.  Then you'll have free movement to move your ships into the system.

Of course I'm always a fan of big ships, but jump drives become an issue there as well.  Still, an armor behemoth with some damage control can be pretty light without weapons and minimal engines, so it's certainly possible to design and use a brick.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8541 on: November 19, 2011, 03:15:39 am »

That was pretty much what I was suggesting: Drop a blob of armor and shields through to draw fire and waste enemy ammo. If it lives long enough to bring weapons online, all the better.

3. Run Resize Enable

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8542 on: November 19, 2011, 08:44:12 am »

I thought shields didn't work along with sensors when you made the jump.

Although I guess if the ship survived long enough, it could still use them anyway.
Nothing important here, move along.

Repulsion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8543 on: November 19, 2011, 09:06:45 am »

There is also researching the jump squadron range tech... so that you could possibly jump into the system, out of the enemies ships range.
Electrum, pedophilia, and necrophilia at the same time!?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #8544 on: November 19, 2011, 11:58:04 am »

Or just build a jumpgate on YOUR end only and use that to send ships in that don't need jump drives.

Sure they can't come back, but they either win or they die.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8545 on: November 19, 2011, 11:59:34 am »

Or just build a jumpgate on YOUR end only and use that to send ships in that don't need jump drives.

Sure they can't come back, but they either win or they die.

If I recall my mechanics properly, that just means that they still have the delay after jumping in (because of no farside gate), and don't get the random distance from the point (because of nearside gate).

3. Run Resize Enable

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8546 on: November 19, 2011, 12:17:46 pm »

You said there was hundreds of wrecks in the system? If that's the spoilers i'm thinking of they aren't exactly wrecks, have fun.
Also that's a hell of a magazine, i usually don't put anywhere near 57 salvos into a single ship. i figure i could use the space for more launchers to get kills faster, and just have ordenance ships waiting around.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8547 on: November 19, 2011, 12:47:19 pm »

You said there was hundreds of wrecks in the system? If that's the spoilers i'm thinking of they aren't exactly wrecks, have fun.
Also that's a hell of a magazine, i usually don't put anywhere near 57 salvos into a single ship. i figure i could use the space for more launchers to get kills faster, and just have ordenance ships waiting around.
Nah, the ships were just chilling on the point and the race had identified itself as the somecityname Republic.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #8548 on: November 19, 2011, 01:07:02 pm »

I thought shields didn't work along with sensors when you made the jump.

Although I guess if the ship survived long enough, it could still use them anyway.

Shields get dropped to zero but start regenerating immediately so if you have medium tech or higher shields you can still get a significant number of shields regened before you suffer more than the first salvo, which your armour should be able to handle.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8549 on: November 19, 2011, 01:21:54 pm »

I find myself equipping my old ICBM silos with shiny new size 24 missiles(or rather new PDC's since refitting even a handful of launchers always seems to cost more than building entirely new PDC's)
They're not too bad considering my tech level, i should be able to hit precursors and swarm with em, or at least at the tech levels that i've encountered them at in the past.:
Missile Size: 24 MSP  (1.2 HS)     Warhead: 0    Armour: 0     Manoeuvre Rating: 5
Speed: 6700 km/s    Endurance: 1458 minutes   Range: 586.3m km
Cost Per Missile: 11.1334
Second Stage: Size 12 Anti-ship Missile x1
Second Stage Separation Range: 1,500,000 km
Overall Endurance: 1 days   Overall Range: 587.9m km
Chance to Hit: 1k km/s 33.5%   3k km/s 10%   5k km/s 6.7%   10k km/s 3.3%
Materials Required:    4x Tritanium   8.0734x Gallicite   Fuel x17500

Size 12 Anti-ship Missile
Missile Size: 12 MSP  (0.6 HS)     Warhead: 16    Armour: 0     Manoeuvre Rating: 15
Speed: 22300 km/s    Endurance: 1 minutes   Range: 1.7m km
Cost Per Missile: 8.5917
Chance to Hit: 1k km/s 334.5%   3k km/s 105%   5k km/s 66.9%   10k km/s 33.4%
Materials Required:    4x Tritanium   5.6567x Gallicite   Fuel x250

Not exactly the best missiles in the world, but i like that kind of range for a PDC and 33% isn't too bad at this tech level.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.
Pages: 1 ... 568 569 [570] 571 572 ... 1347