Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 566 567 [568] 569 570 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2819197 times)

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #8505 on: November 17, 2011, 06:47:42 pm »

By my standards, no. I have 3680 on Earth right now for a grand total of 154896 BP/year.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #8506 on: November 17, 2011, 07:01:12 pm »

how do you keep them fed? it will take a lot of minerals!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8507 on: November 17, 2011, 07:06:30 pm »

Massive shipping operations/heavy use of the SM hand?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8508 on: November 17, 2011, 07:08:37 pm »

I build all the stuff I need in massive bursts, cranking out hundreds of mines in 2 months. Between two construction projects, minerals from all over controlled space come in and pile up by the hundreds of thousands.

Repulsion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8509 on: November 17, 2011, 09:55:30 pm »

Does population affect researching any?

Also, what's that guide to terraforming Mars?

Edit: Annnnd...

How many troop transport bays to transport an engineer brigade? 5?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 10:04:26 pm by Repulsion »
Electrum, pedophilia, and necrophilia at the same time!?

LostCosmonaut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8510 on: November 17, 2011, 10:16:27 pm »

I think as long as you have enough population to man the research facilities, it will go at full speed. Each research facility requires 1 million population in the manufacturing sector.

I think you need about .22 atm of CO2 and .1 atm of oxygen to terraform mars fully. Possibly a small amount of other stuff to reduce the oxygen percentage.

And yes, you do need five transport bay to transport an engineering brigade.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8511 on: November 18, 2011, 12:27:30 am »

Quote from:  Flying Dice
To the first: http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/topic,3871.0.html
Code: [Select]
Mars
CO2 - 0.227 atm (~61%)
O2 - 0.105 atm (~28%)
N2 - 0.043 atm (11%)
Total: 0.375 atm

Total changes in atmosphere: 0.365 atm
Effort: Minor
Notes: None

I think this is something like the fifth time I've posted this. Magnnus, if you're still hanging around this thread, would you mind editing the OP to include this link?

3. Run Resize Enable

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8512 on: November 18, 2011, 12:45:13 am »

Quote from:  Flying Dice
To the first: http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/topic,3871.0.html
Code: [Select]
Mars
CO2 - 0.227 atm (~61%)
O2 - 0.105 atm (~28%)
N2 - 0.043 atm (11%)
Total: 0.375 atm

Total changes in atmosphere: 0.365 atm
Effort: Minor
Notes: None

I think this is something like the fifth time I've posted this. Magnnus, if you're still hanging around this thread, would you mind editing the OP to include this link?

While i realise that this works, personally i like to get a higher air pressure with less than 1% CO2, because even though aurora doesn't care about it, 60% is far more than lethal :/
Then again that "safe greenhouse gas" is rather gamey anyway, but i like to just imagine that we've used other methods of providing heat, massive areas of heat absorbing terraforming on the surface, maybe space mirrors or something also"
Edit: also there is probably a possible combination of other greenhouse gasses that would work well enough, from wikipedia:
"N2O is a greenhouse gas with tremendous global warming potential . When compared to carbon dioxide (CO2), N2O has 310 times the ability per molecule of gas to trap heat in the atmosphere.." Which amounts to like .20 % compared to that 60% CO2, while i realise it isn't exactly like that since that 300% is based on the vastly higher longevity of NO2 vs CO2, methane also is a good greenhouse gas, a shame Aurora doesn't allow any, since :
" This means that a methane emission will have 25 times the effect on temperature of a carbon dioxide emission of the same mass over the following 100 years. Methane has a large effect for a brief period (a net lifetime of 8.4 years in the atmosphere), whereas carbon dioxide has a small effect for a long period (over 100 years)""Methane is not toxic; however, it is extremely flammable and may form explosive mixtures with air.The concentration of methane at which asphyxiation risk becomes significant is much higher than the 5–15% concentration in a flammable or explosive mixture"
So i imagine that my safe green house gas includes things like methane, nitrus oxide, ozone, water vapor, etc"

« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 12:59:53 am by MarcAFK »
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #8513 on: November 18, 2011, 04:53:10 am »

One thing: I would suggest that you recommend staying on the System View screen, as that allows you to monitor ship activity, access every window via the top bar, and view events as they occur. The events in particular are important, as they will alert you to everything from research projects completing to ground combat results to new thermal contacts being registered to new leaders being recruited, allowing the player to easily manage every aspect of the empire each turn. A typical turn for me will consist of me running a five day tick, reading the events log (which needs to be switched on from the Display tab on the bottom left), and addressing each point as necessary, opening the proper windows, doing what I need to do, and closing them. The issue with staying on the economics window for most of the time is that you won't notice things happening until you happen to go to a relevant tab or window and realize that something is different, which can radically reduce both your efficiency and your response time to threats.
Me too. :)
Personally I monitor the game with the systemview in window-mode, set to cycleturn and moved to the right so that the 30-day button has still a bit showing.
At the same time the event log window is shoved to the left so that the column with event information is still visible with the systemview on top.
Most events will halt the auto-turn sequence. 
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8514 on: November 18, 2011, 12:54:53 pm »

I'll be honest, though, none of our methods are really "best" in any sense of the word. To play Aurora properly you need a triple widescreen monitor setup.  Or a monitor for each window.  :P

3. Run Resize Enable

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #8515 on: November 18, 2011, 01:03:38 pm »

Or wine and a virtual desktop setup.

I kid, I kid.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #8516 on: November 18, 2011, 01:18:24 pm »

patch for vesion 5.55 is out. Bunch of bug fixes including no more fitting infinate number of ships into a hangar, fighter sizes getting rounded up so a group wouldn't fit into a hangar, excessive income from hybrid colony/luxury liners and time remaining on buyoys/missiles at a waypoint arriving at different times all getting set to the lowest time remaining.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #8517 on: November 18, 2011, 03:38:54 pm »

Cool.
Have you ever had that you had to manually type in names for recruits?
I guess one of the officer name 'flavours' I selected is not working.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8518 on: November 18, 2011, 03:42:39 pm »

I never have had to. I normally run with 20% splits between English, Russian, Japanese, German, and Arabic.

3. Run Resize Enable

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #8519 on: November 18, 2011, 03:44:02 pm »

That reminds me, I've got to try making a tiny tiny tiny fighter in a fighter with a boat bay, in a FAC with a larger bay, in a slightly larger FAC, up to a super death star. Maybe have it so each one has a single box rocket launcher too.

You think I've just got a weird one-shot death star? Wait until it matryoshkas out and launches all the rockets.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.
Pages: 1 ... 566 567 [568] 569 570 ... 1347